School me on the last 4 years of Saiga 12 developments

Welcome back!

The "best" magwell's is debatable. JTE and TAC47 seem to be the big names. Right now the big thing is the Vepr 12 and Saiga 030 and 040s with factory magwell's. SGM is working on producing mags for them.

I don't have personal experience with it, but Cadiz Gun Works made a LRBHO. Not sure if Tom is still produce them, or not.

Outside of Tony seeing a prototype of a MDA dual stacker, they are still vaperware. Heck, for a while there was a lot of speculation as to wheather or not Mike was even alive anymore.

This thread breaks down the magwell options. The game changers are an upcoming universal magwell from JTE and cheaper access to hi-cap us mags for Russian magwells.

Magwells -

the other big developments are the addition of ~$1k models 030, 040 and Vepr 12 that have all the gizmos you could want: AK style sights, top rail, auto gas regulator, magwell, LRBHO...

You should also look up Tac47 Autoplug for your gun. It is nice.

I'd say you really want to weld on a charging handle.

Another development is that there are a couple vendors that do bolt work for ~$100 which is very nice. For a bit more they can add that handle for you.

• Like 1

I watched several videos on rock-and-lock, but all of them have one thing in common, a pistol grip. We are not allowed pistol grips in the commie state of NJ. I have tried to figure-out a way to load a full mag (in our state that is a 5 rounder) on a closed-bolt but it is pretty difficult. I am thinking of getting the JTE magwell to try on my gun. I just hope I can use the mags I already own with it. I have to do a LOT of mag changes in a competition due to the 5-round limit and really need to find a way to do it quickly and mroe important reliably.

Thanks for the info. I have two surefire mags and 1 APG. No interest in buying a drum mag, so maybe I'll wait until the new model comes out to buy an old one.

Is the Vepr 12 another manufacturer of 12 gauge AK's, or a new model of Saiga?

Anyone else want to weigh in on the bolt on vertical charge handle?

Thanks for the info. I have two surefire mags and 1 APG. No interest in buying a drum mag, so maybe I'll wait until the new model comes out to buy an old one.

I talked to Scott at DPH for a good while at a recent gunshow here in NC. I got to see and discuss most of their new stuff and other things new on the scene. Among these things was the vert CH he has that just bolts on and resembles the Galil design. I was impressed with it actually. Looks very well made and it's designed so it can't work loose. It has a special feature to the set screw keeping this from happening. Does not even require a thread locker. I plan to get one on my next DPH order to try out.

As far as the LRBHO goes...well I will just say it is not dead in the water.... ;)

I talked to Scott at DPH for a good while at a recent gunshow here in NC. I got to see and discuss most of their new stuff and other things new on the scene. Among these things was the vert CH he has that just bolts on and resembles the Galil design. I was impressed with it actually. Looks very well made and it's designed so it can't work loose. It has a special feature to the set screw keeping this from happening. Does not even require a thread locker. I plan to get one on my next DPH order to try out.

As far as the LRBHO goes...well I will just say it is not dead in the water.... wink.png

what exactly is the special feature that keeps it from working loose?