VEPR 12 aluminum replacement top rail available

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-1654/Vepr12-dustcover-rail/Detail?sfs=ce4a33c5

Was magazine shopping and saw this on the CSS site. I am a fan of metal over plastic for rails when possible so I see another $70 out of my gun fund soon. Looks awesome and billett to boot.

• 1 month later...

I need a personal testimonial from any one who has done this mod. It's known that the first long rivet can make contact with the bolt carrier, robbing it of power to cycle properly. For CSS or anyone who has done this mod, I have two questions:

1) Did it straighten your rail that was once canted?

2) Did it allow for more clearance room between the first long screw and the bolt carrier (resulting in no bolt carrier rub?)?

These are very important questions that need to be addressed (as it may add reliability to the VEPR 12).

If it's yes to both questions, I am will be doing this mod ASAP.

Here are pics of the current first long rivet rubbing the bolt carrier as it shows signs of rubbing against the carrier around 50% of the way:

IMG_9897_zps7c93e924.jpg

IMG_9896_zps651bda55.jpg

Edited by DresNightfire

I feel it's important to mention that there is a reason the first rivet rubs the carrier. This is the only thing that provides any form of vertical alignment repeatability for the top-cover-mounted rail. Without that rivet contacting the carrier, the top cover can wobble up and down quite a bit- definitely enough to show a significant point of impact change if using an optic. The rivet is only an issue if it is causing too much friction, but some friction is necessary.

Though the TWS system has its issues, it's system of maintaining zero is superior to this.

I can see why the Russians appear to have gone to a locking lever for the top cover on the side of the receiver on the AK-12.

PZ reported the rivet is also to keep the bolt carrier from deflecting which can cause malfunctions and even damage.

If Papa said it then I take his word on it, BUT how many times have you seen an AK malfunction? Standard AK's and even my Saiga 12 top cover did not have this rivet and the bolt/piston carrier hasn't ever malfunctioned. We need to dig further...