Conversion parts AHOY!!!

I'm very excited... My gun has been sitting stock and crappy for almost 2 years now.

TROMIX SKELETON STOCK-POLYMER WITH LIMBSAVER RECOIL PADBOLT HOLD OPEN LEVER KIT SAIGA 12 - MODIFIEDFOLDING MECHANISM "PUSH BUTTON" FOR SAIGA -AK47 STOCKSTRIGGER GUARD-CAROLINA SAIGA 12 BOLT ONTRIGGER GROUP- TROMIX SAIGA FIRE CONTROL GROUPFOREARM RAIL COVERS TAPCO 5 PACK SET- BLACKCAROLINA SAIGA 12 TACTICAL BILLET QUAD-RAILFOLDING VERTICAL GRIP ALUMINUM QDBRAKE LOCK NUT FOR SAIGA/VEPR 12- RUSSIAN STYLESAIGA 12 PHOENIX FLAME DOOR BREACHINTERNAL RECEIVER BLOCK- STOCK ADAPTER

I think the only thing I'm missing is a new gas plug (I already have a pistol grip). Do the auto-plugs work well, or am I better off to get a 6-position?

I like the manually adjusted gas plug vs the auto-plug. I feel it allows you to use the least amount of gas necessary to cycle the particular load your shooting. I do like the idea of the auto plug though, being a set and forget. On the one I had, I had it adjusted to where it just began to cycle bulk federal low brass and added another quarter turn for reliability. When I tried shooting a mixed bag of low and high brass, the low brass would eject in one spot whereas the high brass would go a few feet further. In my mind, I feel it didnt effectively control the gas flow with the high brass, making for a slightly overgassed system. This was a 3 port gun .093". That was my personal experience though. Others here love it.

Edited by sapper1371usmc

You do understand that a sprung poppet valve is a standard design of a regulator intended to maintain a constant pressure. While the autoplug cannot vent with 100% efficiency, the design is close enough.

Basically it vents any pressure over a tunable threshold. That threshold is supposed to be the least pressure which will cycle the action, plus a little bit for good measure. So the same thing as a manual plug, but continuously variable vent level versus fixed steps....

You do understand that a sprung poppet valve is a standard design of a regulator intended to maintain a constant pressure. While the autoplug cannot vent with 100% efficiency, the design is close enough.

Basically it vents any pressure over a tunable threshold. That threshold is supposed to be the least pressure which will cycle the action, plus a little bit for good measure. So the same thing as a manual plug, but continuously variable vent level versus fixed steps....

Yes I understand how it works. But like I stated above, I just felt like it allowed the high brass loads to eject a little more forcefully than the light loads. I just prefer to use the manual plug. Id never have a mixed mag of low brass and high brass for duty/home defense anyhow, so a manual plug works just fine and I can adjust the plug to the setting that uses these least amount of gas to run. Again, its my opinion and personal preference. Use what works for you.

Agreed, shoot what you like.

That is true, because the poppet can't dump more than a certain flow rate. I have a couple ideas about a more efficient two stage poppet that could flatten that peak impulse down a bit.

In the meantime, I just have a soft buffer in there in case some 3" shells get fired. For what it is worth, you can turn the autoplug upside down to have the same effect as the 0 setting on your MD plug.

It's my understanding that if unwatched, a buffer will break down and come to pieces after a while. Floating pieces of debris in your action isn't the best thing in the world. They may be fine if you are vigilant at changing them out early. However, the gun is designed to run well without them...

So is that 2 votes for the autoplug? smile.png

Also... I keep hearing people talking about the buffer being a bad thing. Having no experience with it, I don't understand why it would be.

There are good ones and then there are some for a normal AK that are just hard thick plastic. I think the blackjack buffer is next to indestructible tough rubbery plastic. If you ever got deterioration you should see it in cleaning thousands of rounds before failure. For the most part, if it isn't hurting anything, it is just cheap insurance. I am skeptical about claims for reduced felt recoil though.

There is also the potential due to variance in guns that undergassed ones with weak springs need that last 1/4" of travel to run. This is more probable with the hard buffers that are about a half inch thick. I shaved my BlackJack buffer to about 3/16" just because it felt better when I yanked the bolt back. I have not had problems. If there were any problems you would notice them immediately at the range, not in some kind of surprise situation. So there is no risk in getting one beyond $10.

Others are way too hot and the bolt can bounce off the buffer and outrun the magazine.

Really though, IMO only a hand full of people have actually had problems. The rest are speculation about the possibility of problems. The solution for those guys is to remove the buffer, and no harm done. I think it is a phantom issue that everyone has heard about an 5 guys have seen, like failures due to top round deformation.

There are good ones and then there are some for a normal AK that are just hard thick plastic. I think the blackjack buffer is next to indestructible tough rubbery plastic. If you ever got deterioration you should see it in cleaning thousands of rounds before failure. For the most part, if it isn't hurting anything, it is just cheap insurance. I am skeptical about claims for reduced felt recoil though.

My Blackjack buffers (in rifles, I don't use them in my S-12) always break at the very top where they are thinnest, after not many rounds. Doesn't seem to affect function, though.

I've been running a purple Blackjack buffer in my S12 for about five years now. Never caused any cycling issues that I know of, works fine with or without the buffer. Personally, I like the cushioning action it provides, but its really a matter of preference.

I think many of the people who dislike them are the "keep-that-crap-off-my-AK" purists who hate the idea of putting something made of rubber in their venerable Kalashnikov.

Good to know... I'm building my S-12 for dead reliability and longevity, so any info in that direction is always appreciated. It's the most expensive gun I own and I nearly doubled my investment with the parts order shown above. I'm not that worried about the cash, as long as I get the results.

btw... I REALLY like the CSS folding mechanism now that it's in my hands. Very sturdy. I can't wait to get it on the gun!

My Blackjack buffers (in rifles, I don't use them in my S-12) always break at the very top where they are thinnest, after not many rounds. Doesn't seem to affect function, though.

huh - cold weather = brittle? or some force pulling them down?? Are yours blue?

Max - take a video of some destruction to spread the joy once you get that on there.