Thats what I get for being responcible, now I'll never get my Saig

Im gonna get flamed for this probably, but......I think you were doing the right thing. No one could have predicted this shit storm. Who knew last month that before new years there would be a deficit of 223, 308, x39, 5.45, 9mm, mags, guns..etc...etc...hell some stores are even out of .22!!

On the other hand you were being responsible and planing out your financial future. And thats pretty damn adult of you especially at 22 years old. Most people under 25 are still pissing away their weekly paychecks at bars, clubs, on cool cars and expansive clothing. Shit, I know people over 30 who still act like this. IMO you were doing the right thing. Yes its true now you'll pay more for a rifle you could have had 6 months ago for 1/2 the price or less but in the long run that 1 extra rifle isnt gonna make or break anything

Not going to flame, but plenty of us expected a shit storm at some point.

And it's going to get much, much worse.

If you have been paying attention to what's going on politically and economically in this country and the rest of the world, you should know by now that things are not "normal". It's not an environment to be pretending everything is fine and focus on typical "investments".

Investments these days should be bullets and beans.

IMHO, we are very close to collapse of the dollar and serious fallout from that.

You are going to need your rifle.

• Like 1

Don't forget any semi local gun shows... if you are there early you might luck out. I picked up a Norinco Hunter type II 7.62x39 with 2mags this weekend for $650. Looked brand new. Other prices were ridiculous like a converted S12 with a drum for $2,800, but I think he was smokin something pretty serious...

Price doesn’t always come back – see username. If you cannot afford 1k, then you shouldn’t be buying a second house. I don’t like seeing people get overleveraged. You are young, so you still have plenty of time to invest in many different assets. Now on the other hand, if you can afford it, but don’t want to pay it, that’s a different story. As other have said, check the local shops; I picked something up last week at pre panic prices from a local shop.

Here in NC, Fuquay, they just got in a few things, i'm sure they will be gone 1st thing tomorrow.

Saiga 12, $749.

Arsenal side fold AK 223 $1099.99

Century AK $789.99

Little surprised, I would think the Saiga would be cheaper, but still not gun broker bad at least.

• Like 1

You are doing things correctly for such a young person. Wish I had my head screwed on upon my shoulders so well when I was....your age. The Saiga 12 can wait or you can certainly just do without. There are $2500-$3000 dollar Metro Geos and Suzuki Swifts that get an honest 50 mpg-with AC.

Buying good real estate now while the prices are very flat, (bottomed out?) is always a good idea. You are doing the correct thing now. The extra shotgun can wait. In 20 years or sooss you will be able to look back at this moment and say that you did the correct thing by nixing the shotgun. HB of CJ

• Like 2
Here in NC, Fuquay, they just got in a few things, i'm sure they will be gone 1st thing tomorrow.

Saiga 12, $749.

Arsenal side fold AK 223 $1099.99

Century AK $789.99

Little surprised, I would think the Saiga would be cheaper, but still not gun broker bad at least.

sovereign or clays?

Clays. I bought my Saiga 12 at Sovereign just before the new year, and it was $649, usually Clay's has better prices, but maybe the market finally started hitting him.

Edited by sean8642

(I put the part that really matters in bold)

Well, just like I do with every big purchase, I contemplated, spoke to the people who know me best, consulted experts who know about the item in question, prayed for guidance to help me make the decision that will serve me best in the future.... And then decided that today, January 17th, was the day for me to purchase an AK/Saiga 7.62. I called 60+ local places, bookmarked about 80 gunbroker listings, came REALLY close to purchasing a NoDak Spud online for $1000, but he didnt have the original foregrip or any mags with it, so I figured I should check around more.

A local shop had a WASR, I asked which Magazine it came with. The woman on the phone said she didnt know, it was used and had a banana clip. Turns out it was a WASR with a 10 round mag, single stack, and a terrible wooden thumbhole stock. $899. I got on my phone and I checked out converting it to double stacks. Decided no thank you. They also had a Saiga 5.56, same price, (Used of course, and unconverted) and I was almost swayed.

No. If I am going to spend over $700 on an item, it needs to be the item that will make me happy the rest of my life. No SKS, no single stack, no 55.6/5.45.

The hunt continued, found a used WASR with 2 40 round mags at a place called BearArms about 50 mins away. It had a wooden stock and a mismatched pistol grip, but I didnt mind. $999. I begged him to hold it, or take a credit card number over the phone. Nope, had to buy it there.

The gentlemen who bought it was walking out as I parked. I was devastated, (Not realizing what a blessing that would turn out to be) but then I had perfect success. I brought up my trusty google on Android, used the keyword "Gun" from my location (50 mins from home) and made some more calls, till I called Wades Gun Shop and Shooting Range. He said he had multiple Allied Armament underfolder AKs, chambered for 7.62, and he promised he would not sell it till I arrived (Going another 45 mins north) He laughed, because they apparently had 7 remaining. Brand new, $999 with one thirty round mag.

I couldnt give him my money fast enough. I bought two 40 round mags also, and 80 rounds of ammo. (Ended up being tul ammo hollow points) Walked out having spent $1260, on a brand new weapon, that I dont have to later convert to pistol grip like I would with the Siaga. This weapon also accepts standard AK mags, which to me is a benefit. Did I spend more than I would have pre panic? Hell yes! Without a doubt. Could I have saved a few pennies online? Maybe, but after 10% sales tax, shipping, FFL costs, not by much. I am very pleased with the result though, I have a weapon that is almost exactly what I had wanted.

Seeing this next to my S12 in the safe just makes me stupid happy. It needs a decent sling, and a new, wider, pistol grip, and then to be shot! =D

Thanks everyone.

EDIT: Changed typo of "Alliance Armament" to "Allied Armament"

Edited by TheJoe90
  • Like 3
Im gonna get flamed for this probably, but......I think you were doing the right thing. No one could have predicted this shit storm. Who knew last month that before new years there would be a deficit of 223, 308, x39, 5.45, 9mm, mags, guns..etc...etc...hell some stores are even out of .22!!

On the other hand you were being responsible and planing out your financial future. And thats pretty damn adult of you especially at 22 years old. Most people under 25 are still pissing away their weekly paychecks at bars, clubs, on cool cars and expansive clothing. Shit, I know people over 30 who still act like this. IMO you were doing the right thing. Yes its true now you'll pay more for a rifle you could have had 6 months ago for 1/2 the price or less but in the long run that 1 extra rifle isnt gonna make or break anything

Not going to flame, but plenty of us expected a shit storm at some point.

And it's going to get much, much worse.

If you have been paying attention to what's going on politically and economically in this country and the rest of the world, you should know by now that things are not "normal". It's not an environment to be pretending everything is fine and focus on typical "investments".

Investments these days should be bullets and beans.

IMHO, we are very close to collapse of the dollar and serious fallout from that.

You are going to need your rifle.

True and I wont argue that. My point is simply that lots of stuff have been predicted, some of it happened, some didnt. Everyone was so sure of Russians dropping the bombon America durring the 50s. People paid good money for fallout shelters. Nothing ever happened. Not too long ago people were so convinced that the world was going to end that they sold their belongings, gave away their moeny, in some cases millions, and prepared for God to end the world. Nothing happened.

Its good to be prepared but you shouldnt live in one world or the other (all or nothing). Nothing wrong with being ready but one shouldnt just completely retreat from the world. No buying anything not deemed necessary, no vacations, no investments...nothing. IMO if I just buy bullets and beans and nothing happenes then I missed a lot of opportunities to better my life

I agree that you shouldn't live life in fear, worried that there's another disaster around every corner.

But I'm not talking about making up things in your mind to be afraid of.

All I'm saying is look at the realities of what we truly do face.

EDIT:

>>IMO if I just buy bullets and beans and nothing happenes then I missed a lot of opportunities to better my life

There is something called "normalcy bias" where we don't see what is in front of us because everything has always been fine, or it's too painful or scary to acknowledge the truth of it. WIth your statement above, you are saying that you don't truly believe we are in serious trouble.

Reality is what it is, people's perception of it varies (often to their own peril).

Edited by Spartacus

CONGRATULATIONS! That is awesome,very glad for you,it is amazing what prayer can do and it was for a gun! Wouldn't that drive the liberals K RAZY!

NOW you are OFFICIALLY one of us GUN NUTS, welcome to the family!

Edited by misterT
  • Like 1
Pics????

IMG_20130117_193241.jpg

IMG_20130117_193328.jpg

IMG_20130117_193421.jpg

IMG_20130117_193435.jpg

IMG_20130117_193618.jpg

Took her out for the first time today, and it was AWESOME! Ran flawlessly, and although some people dont like the folders, I found it very comfortable. This is a weapon I will keep for the rest of my life.

Need to change out the pistol grip and maybe upgrade the sight though. I was impressed by the accuracy, but I have a long way to go before I am as accurate as I would like to be.

• Like 2