Something I learned today

Guess I should say RE-learned, the mid to lower priceed Winchester ammo SUCKS,

Just got back from a continental pheasant "hunt" this evening, Fri-Sat hunt. 17 of us went, we took 3 new mka's , they ran about 95-97% at home.

Got to the shoot, only cycling MAYBE 40% , FTF, FTE. Turns out we were shooting Federal bulk pack at home swithched to Winchester Super target , & heavy game load.

Switched back to Federal back to 97%+ , not sure about the other 2 , but between the clays and pheasants I shot about 300 rounds.

Once we actually thought about it, we remembered having the same troubles about a year ago .

The Win. wouldn't run in many of the semi-auto SG there.

Good to know. I'm still in the break in stage so a little early for me to say what ammo works 100% and what really sucks in my gun.

I went to Gander Mountain yesterday and picked up one box of just about everything that was 12 gauge and low brass. Will keep track so I stand a better chance of finishing a stage or two.

I do know that this gun is way too light to make a steady diet of hot 3" loads. They cycle beautifully but this is the first time in 45 years I came back from the range with a nice bruise on my shoulder.

Bill

Guess I should say RE-learned, the mid to lower priceed Winchester ammo SUCKS,

Just got back from a continental pheasant "hunt" this evening, Fri-Sat hunt. 17 of us went, we took 3 new mka's , they ran about 95-97% at home.

Got to the shoot, only cycling MAYBE 40% , FTF, FTE. Turns out we were shooting Federal bulk pack at home swithched to Winchester Super target , & heavy game load.

Switched back to Federal back to 97%+ , not sure about the other 2 , but between the clays and pheasants I shot about 300 rounds.

Once we actually thought about it, we remembered having the same troubles about a year ago .

The Win. wouldn't run in many of the semi-auto SG there.

Thats good to hear because that about all that i have shot through my gun (i got a screamin deal on it) and i was having a hard time to get 3 rounds shot with out a falure but now its at about 90% with all the little tweeks i have done. so if i actually buy some good ammo it will be pretty reliable.

Love this forum! I was just about to buy several hundred rounds of Winchester target rounds tomorrow (today?). Federal &/or Remington it is then. I'll get a mix of rounds to experiment with.

I'm still running stock right now but I've got a regular length FP forend with it's shorter operating rod waiting in the wings. I know I will no longer be able to run 3" magnum loads. But can anyone tell me if I need to change anything else such as swapping recoil springs and/or adding preload bushing(s) to be able to run fairly light loads for skeet and target sports?

I want to build up the gun as a range toy... ironically enough, for pure sporting purposes with all these soon prohibuted AR add-on's to make it a better plinker. Go figure!

/M

I bought some Winchester bulk packs Friday since that's all wally world had left. I usally get federal but I said it'll be ok, ummm wrong answer. I had 1 or 2 FTE in every 10 round mag I ran. Also I had a few feed issues where it the nose of the shell would bulge slightly not allowing it feed. I find the winchester xpert will run ok but not the universal value packs. I had tried running winchester value packs after my break in almost a year ago and had the same trouble. I thought I might get away with it but nope even after a few thousand rounds through the gun it still hates winchester universal. Also I bought some bulk 22lr winchester, one of the 555 packs and my 10/22 refuses to feed it out of the mag. Thought it was the gun until I tried some federal 22lr and it worked just fine. You figure a company that's been around a while wouldn't have these problems.

Thats funny about the winchester .22 because now that i think about it i bought alot of it and it didnt work worth a crap in my .22. whats up with winchester ammo? now that i think about it i bought 100 rounds of winchester .308, ill have to see how that runs in my AR.

Well my 1919 must be the exception to the rule. Bought er' back in August along with 1500 rds. of Wally world's Winchester target loads. Nearly 400 rds later not a single mis-fire or eject issue.

My Saiga 12 on the other hand doesn't like the Winchester flavor at all. Go figure?