Saiga 7.62 with modified magazine well

post-46614-0-52624700-1359382229_thumb.jpgpost-46614-0-60542200-1359382319_thumb.jpgpost-46614-0-56697700-1359382333_thumb.jpgHey guys and gals. I just recently bought a saiga carbine 7.62. I had planned on converting it to the AK configuration, ie move trigger group forward, folding stock, and feed ramp so it would take standard AK mags. However, the box it came in said. Saiga rifle withe mod/magwell and plastic stock. So after close examination of the rifle it comes with a pistol grip, straight out of the box. The trigger appears to have already moved forward ie..its snug up against the magwell. And of course the the box says modified magwell.. So does that mean it will take all AK mags? It came from RWC, at least it says that on the rifle along with the saiga makings and made in russia logo. Any help would be really helpful. I have no clue if its a G2 trigger group and it also came with two big thirty round magazines with no saiga marking on the mags as well. If you guys know, I mean really know, please email me at breid1970@gmail.com and let me know. I emailed the company tech rep but have not gotten a response. I should also note that the barrel is the 16 in, but has no bayonet lug or flash suppressor of any kind. Thanks again. Here are some pictures. I dont know what was done in the magazine well, it does not appear to have that feed ramp and this is one of the magazines it came with.post-46614-0-52624700-1359382229_thumb.jpg

Edited by breid1970

My buddy just bought a RWC Saiga 7.62 and we were comparing it to mine last night (an EAA Saiga) and there were a few small differences, mainly cosmetic, but the one that was really odd was his magwell seemed different than mine. Like it was tighter or smaller because my Saiga mags wouldn't fit at all without modifying the mags (they fit fine in mine before modding). Im curious to see what you find out about your magwell.

Its tight all around it seems but i had to grind a little bit of material off of the top-rear of the Surefire Saiga mags for him to get them to fit at all. I basically took a mm or two off the top and rear and rounded the edge. That spot was contacting a permanent pin in the receiver that sits directly behind the mag when its inserted.

What kinda mag did it come with a standard saiga mag or a ak mag?

it appears to be a standard AK magazine, no saiga marking on it at all.

I do however think the trigger group was moved foraward,

i just noticed that looking at the chamber pic that there does appear to be a feed ramp attached I could be wrong though.

If it has a feed ramp it'll most likely be a small piece of metal with a screw in the middle of it securing it. Does the mag have a cutout in the mag body where the bullet points when loaded or is it solid with no notch?

post-46614-0-96865900-1359383548_thumb.jpg

Ok i just got off the phone with RWC and they said that yes what I have is a fully converted saiga to the full ak configuration as in trigger group moved forward, and it does take all AK mags. This is awesome news. All I really will do now is telescoping stock, pic rail forward hand grip and at a later date a G2 trigger group.

Ok i just got off the phone with RWC and they said that yes what I have is a fully converted saiga to the full ak configuration as in trigger group moved forward, and it does take all AK mags. This is awesome news. All I really will do now is telescoping stock, pic rail forward hand grip and at a later date a G2 trigger group. Evidently Century arms buys from them directly and does the quick modifications.

Edited by breid1970

That is a good deal right now. Similar set ups were selling for around $450-500 a year ago, but right now that is a good price. Do you have plans for a front end conversion?
Edited by Semper299
That is a good deal now. Similar set ups were selling for around $450-500 a year ago, but right now that is a good price. Do you have plans for a front end conversion?

I am trying to find a basic forward hand guard that has a rail that doesnt break the bank. As for the magazine well, I dont know, it came from RCW or RWC with that on the box. You guys have any suggestions. I am assuming that the magazine i showed was standard double stack

Ok what in the hell is all this talk about modified magwell??? Ive never heard anything about modifying any magwell on any saiga rifle. Maybe for a wasr/10 or yugo pap but no saigas..

What about an AR mag adaptor? Theres a few guys here that have them and like them rather well.

When I talked to the rep he said that Century arms does buy the receiver from them and then they do the upgrade. Speaking of upgrades, i would like to get an AK style forward handguard and i was at my local gun store and it had one from tapco but it looked really short. Im guessing there are only certain forward handguards you can put on. Do they even make replacement barrels for these? Though to be frank Im pretty sure its the same crome coated barrel the ak's use. My next projet for this will be the forward handguard and maybe a relex sight. If you guys have any ideas let me know. I bought an American made saiga double stack magazine and it did not fit at all, so at this point Im certain that my rifle will now only take standard AK magazines.

You have one of the conversions that were farmed out by Century and Classic Arms. Just a normal Saiga 7.62x39 with the trigger group relocated to its normal position, and a typical 7.62x39 bullet guide installed - this is the small section of circular steel just beneath and before the chamber mouth, which you are referring to as a "feed ramp," and without it the rifle will not feed from military magazines.

The bullet guide is tack-welded in place vs. bolt/screw/rivet. It should be solid, but I've heard of one or two guys having the guide fall off due to having a small weld with poor penetration. Some claimed that the guide looked to be held in place with a two-part epoxy, but others disagree.

There is nothing special about the magazine well.

When these were available about two (??) years ago, they were around $400-500, so anywhere near that and you have a great deal given current prices.

Edited by mancat
Oh dont get me wrong i wasnt saying anything bad at all i just have never heard about it. but now that u mention the 223 ar magwell i never really thought about that.

I dont really care for them, but some guys here love'em. Just preference.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, now that you have actually seen my stock 7.62 and answered my mag questions. I would like to know if my beast will take any AK standard rail system on the forward hand guard. And It appears that the front sight was actually slipped over the front of the barrel. Is it possible that the barrel is already threaded and capable of having a flash suppressor/muzzle break put on it? I would like to get the authentic AK 103 look with the cleaning rod on it. Is this readily possible? Again please refer to my picture and possibly offer any ideas along that road. Thanks again guys and gals.

You have a long way to go until you get an AK-103, since an AK-103 looks like this.

JONeqfT.jpg

Some 7.62x39 Saigas have a threaded barrel under the front sight "sleeve." Some don't. Only way to find out is to cut off and remove the sleeve or entire FSB, at which point you can just threat it yourself if it's not. But an AK-103 doesn't have a threaded muzzle. It has a 24mm threaded FSB.

Most AK railed handguards/gas tubes will require that you get a standard gas tube (use an AK-74 tube), or get some sort of lower handguard retainer for the standard-length handguard. There are other railed handguards available that are specifically for the Saiga, which will anchor to the current location at the gas block.

The only way to affix and securely retain a cleaning rod is, at the very least, to get a standard lower handguard and retainer with cleaning rod channel, and a front sight block with cleaning rod retaining lug, which is part of the bayonet lug. You don't need the gas block with accessory lug to hold the cleaning rod in place, though it might rattle a little without it.

Edited by mancat