Traded a bit of work for a 1978 Chevy 4x4.....Iknow, it doesn't sound like much, but it seems like a pretty good score. It has 93,000 miles, with all work documented with receipts back to 1981 verifying milage and all original manuals and paperwork.

Some baseball sized rust holes behind wheel wells, and some surface rust otherwise, but nothing major. Typical chevy 350 motor. runs smooth, and the interior is better than you would hope for in a 35 year old daily driver, pretty darn nice. Has a topper on back to keep the dogs in, and kinda smells like old cigarrettes inside. only problems I found are just leaky seals....mostly all around, but even the dipsticks look new, no scorching. Very clean motor.

Now I just need a camper for the bed and I have the perfect hunting/camping rig for the places my Wonderbus can't get to!

This thing averaged around 2,600 miles per year, not bad, eh?

Oh, it was 13 hours of work for the truck........no gun rack though.

Ohhhhhh. and it's BROWN!!! Can't see the rust that way!

• Like 3

Sweet! I have a '74 GMC 4x4 myself.

You didn't mention the A/C in your description (at least you've got the A/C dash)! SWEET and fairly rare for a truck in the '70s. Can't believe it's not rustier than it is... My '74 has been through 2 restorations and is ready for a 3rd... On a quiet night you can hear those trucks rust

• Like 2

Flush the system, replace orifice tube/dryer/oil, vac it down and charge with an R12 replacement (not 134A) and you will have INSANE AC too! Our '78 Suburban (454, 2wd, 3.73s, trailering special... oh how I miss it) shared all the same AC parts as the '74 pickup. So, you get Suburban AC in 1/4 of the cab space. It will freeze your nuggets off! Shouldn't cost more than about $100-150 to make all that happen.

Looks like you got tilt wheel, cruise, and the rear sliding window too! Can't tell if its a dual tanker or if it has a cargo light. That was an expensive truck when it was new! Somebody cheaped out in the end zone and got the idiot light pack and enormous fuel gauge instead of the tach though. :( The only option mine doesn't have is tilt, and I have sourced a tilt column to swap in.

That is a sweet deal you got on that thing.

It does have the dual tanks.....super cheap fill-up, eh? Turns out I am the 3rd owner, the previous owner had it for only 3 months before his Dad gave him his '03 silverado.

The right side exhaust and muffler are shot, but the other side is good to go. Powerwashed the engine so we can see where it leaks from after Valve cover gaskets are done. Ad it Does have the cargo light in back!!

It does have the dual tanks.....super cheap fill-up, eh? Turns out I am the 3rd owner, the previous owner had it for only 3 months before his Dad gave him his '03 silverado.

The right side exhaust and muffler are shot, but the other side is good to go. Powerwashed the engine so we can see where it leaks from after Valve cover gaskets are done. Ad it Does have the cargo light in back!!

wet_eyes.gif I'm not that old and I can remember getting change back on $40 to fill both tanks and drive for 2 weeks. It was always fun going in the station first to tell the clerk that I wasn't stealing their gas; I just had to turn it around to fill the other side! LOL

They didn't come from the factory with duals... Someone loved that truck! Mine has all SS exhaust on it now with Borla mufflers and a small cam. She ain't sneaky. ;) Now I just need to ditch the crappy heads/intake. I was 17 when I built that motor. 16 years later my tastes have progressed.

When you can remember going out for a date with $20.00, fill the tank on 1971 Ford land yacht, get something to eat, go see a movie, and go riding around for a while to find a nice place to park, THEN you are getting old. I remember and I am.

Nice truck you got there, let's see, 13 hrs of work, depending on your hourly rate, you stole the damn thing.

• Like 1
When you can remember going out for a date with $20.00, fill the tank on 1971 Ford land yacht, get something to eat, go see a movie, and go riding around for a while to find a nice place to park, THEN you are getting old. I remember and I am.

I can still do that! Our big date nights around here are hitting the Redbox in the car that gets 36mpg, eating a $10 pizza, and watching it at home! :)

No kidding he stole it. I think it's obvious that I'm a fan of that generation of GM trucks, but that thing has got to be worth at least $3k. Just about any running 4x4 in any shape is.

Looks good, I wouldn't say you stole it. even if your rate is $40/hr. Seems like you got a good truck. Yeah the old 350's are known to leak all over. I would say if its the original motor your probablu due for a rebuild with that many miles. I don't know of many that made it past 50-75k miles before needing something done. Now you can make it 100k easily if you used the right seals and gaskets. Then its time for a refresh with seals and gaskets again. @least its easy to do.

Looks good, I wouldn't say you stole it. even if your rate is $40/hr. Seems like you got a good truck. Yeah the old 350's are known to leak all over. I would say if its the original motor your probablu due for a rebuild with that many miles. I don't know of many that made it past 50-75k miles before needing something done. Now you can make it 100k easily if you used the right seals and gaskets. Then its time for a refresh with seals and gaskets again. @least its easy to do.

Mine didn't come down for rebuild until 122k. Main and rod clearances as well as crank end play where exactly in the center of the factory spec. It DID leak oil to beat hell and the timing chain was about to jump a tooth.

Where are you finding trucks that nice for $520?

Edited by Maxwelhse

That is very sweet! I had a 79 Ford Bronco, with huge-ass tires and rust all around. I hope you get as much enjoyment as I got out of that Ford!

Seeing those pictures makes me wonder if I should dump my backup daily driver and get another one! Woohoo!

Mine didn't come down for rebuild until 122k. Main and rod clearances as well as crank end play where exactly in the center of the factory spec. It DID leak oil to beat hell and the timing chain was about to jump a tooth.

Where are you finding trucks that nice for $520?

Used to see and pick them up a few years ago for $300 or less. Finding any steals these days I may as well, just spend the $ on doing LSx swaps in my own trucks. Now if only I can figure out this random no start in my wifes truck.

I tattoo for work, and our shop rate is $100 per hour, so we valued the truck @ $1300. We were both happy with that figure. Around here in Montana there are still Tons of older trucks around. Mostly Chevy and Ford, and not uncommon to see them from the 60's still working away. Mine actually has a Lot of rust for this climate, but still acceptable and no dents! My uncle still snow plows with the 1971 F250 that my Grandfather bought new.

Seems in Montana we don't call a truck "Old" unless it is from the 50's or older.

Edited by RobRez
  • Like 1

Up until just a couple of years ago, they just used sand. Idiots who love rust, complained about "Dust" on the day the road dept sweeps it all up, and now they use chemical de-icer, not salt.....yet. The rural/county roads are still just sanded....thank goodness! Besides, all we need is a bit of sand on the bad corners and we're fine. Well, the city drivers aren't always as good in the snow as us more Rural folks. I lived in the woods long enough to kick some Snow-ass!

I don't want the salt either, but it's a way of life over here.. My TJ is coated right now.

I was down in SC over the summer and ran into a local gear head telling me tales of rust free notch back 5.0 Mustangs for $200... I nearly cried.