So I just happened to drive 50 miles south today and wound up at a gun show (I hate when that happens :devil: ). Small town gun show, not many vendors, still somehow managed to blow $135 on a Rock River Arms lower receiver.

I've seen better pricing at other shows and online, but this guy was cool enough to talk to me and help me understand the differences between his wares. So I chatted with him for 10 minutes, then bought the lower. Nothing real special, just a RRA forged lower.

Now... the rest of it. What to get?

Back before the ban, I had a few AR variants in .223. I think one was outfitted with a Norinco .223 upper. I made the mistake of purchasing only the absolute cheapest upper and lower components for assembling my ARs. Doing so left me with a deep hatered for the AR. From what Ive heard, Rock River Arms makes a quality firearm, but I dont know from experiance. My mismatched components were consistantly prone to failure and dissapointment. I would stay away from bargain basement AR parts. Mismatching is said to be ok, but only between well made products.

If your lower assembly already has the FCG installed, I would assume that you just need a good buttstock, a couple of mags and a complete upper assembly. Or you could assemble the upper components from different sorces.....Be carefull there.

AR variants are not "built" as much as they are "assembled". When different brand pieces dont quite match up correctly, the problems are numerous and disasterous. Well.....They were for me anyway.

I have no intention of cheaping out on this thing. I went with a Rock River because of what everybody I've asked has said about them.

Currently I'm tracking down a Rock River lower parts kit and A2 fixed buttstock. After that (and a few paychecks) I'll go looking for a stripped Rock River A4 flattop upper, wilson stainless steel heavy barrel, and the other little things I'll need to finish it out.

I have no illusions that I'll spend over $750 quite easily, but in the end I'll have a quality rifle I know inside and out, and I'll know how to build an AR, which may come in handy when/if I let my friends shoot it :smoke:

ARs are fun! You'll be thrilled to have one and it will become your new "go to" weapon. Congrats on starting the process. You don't have to completely match all parts as Piston said, but it never hurts and since you have your heart set on RRA, you're in good shape. It's a good company that a bunch of gov't agencies trust including DEA, which says something positive for RRA. Only advice would be to take it slow and do it right from the start. Have your goal in mind and don't settle for less. Be sure each part you get corresponds with the goal. This means matching barrel length and material with goal, matching twist rate with barrel length and goal, matching design and materials with goal, etc. But have fun and rock it out! Also, DO NOT SKIP ON BARREL BREAK-IN. After dropping $750-1000 into a gun, the excitement and suspense builds and you just want to shoot the shit out of it, but remember the gun is not complete until after it's broken in and cleaned a final time. Have fun! Safe shooting

Roger that Aegis.

What I'm going for is a nice long range rifle that is capable of killing paper, varments, and the occational wild beer can that happens to cross my path in the 100 to 300 yard range. Beyond that, and for actual hunting, I've got bolt action rifles.

Nabbed a RRA lower parts kit and a A2 Buttstock kit for $120 shipped to my door from the same guy that sold me the lower receiver.

If the guy would sell upper parts, I might end up buying the whole damn thing from him, but alas he only sells completed uppers.

Nabbed a RRA lower parts kit and a A2 Buttstock kit for $120 shipped to my door from the same guy that sold me the lower receiver.

If the guy would sell upper parts, I might end up buying the whole damn thing from him, but alas he only sells completed uppers.

After you assemble the lower on a ar, an upper is not really a build in the sense of a ak, fal or g-3. So buying a assmbled upper, bolt and bolt carrier is not missing much on a ar build. From what a friend told me all you do is take the barrel nut to a torque and then index it enough to get the gas tube thru one of the slots in the nut. The head space is all between the barrel and the bolt. It seems harder to get kits that the upper is not assembled now adays.

• 4 weeks later...

I've now got the lower almost assembled. I somehow managed to launch a detent across the room and lost it while trying to install the front pivot pin <_<. I'm probably not the first person to do that, so I don't feel so bad :smoke:.

Anyway, gun show is in town this weekend, and I'm gonna see if I can find the assembled upper I want (and a couple of spare detents). If not, I've got a line on the upper for about $450 + flip up irons. I'm thinking about nabbing a set of those Yankee Hill flip up irons to start with. ($70 for "starter sights" :eek: .... I need a better paying job :unsure: ). Anyway, hopefully in a couple of days I can start breaking this thing in.

Thanks for all the advise guys. I'll post some targets once I get this thing set.

Edited by Rusty

The show was disappointing, but I still managed to walk out with a set of Yankee Hill flip up rear irons. Mags and uppers were scarce...

Ordered the upper when I got home.

RRA A4 flat top, Wilson 20" 1x8 stainless barrel, etc, ad nauseum. Should be here after the 1st.

I have been bargain building AR uppers lately. The last one was a CMT upper, Firsh quad rail free float tube with a 18" Douglas barrel and a PRI flip up front sight block. I probably went about as cheap as you could get and it still ran over 500 when said and done. I wanted a White Oak Armament 1/8 Wilson barrel from ADCO, but found a deal too good to pass up on the Douglas 1/7.

Still not quite done. I will probably paint more parts like the riser and need some rail panels.

sprgry1.jpg

Dang things are adicting, like Saigas

Have fun with your new one.

Edited by Onepoint

It was over $500, about $540 or something like that, maybe a little more with shipping involved.

The 2 bargain quad rail free floats forearms are Yankee hill machine and Olympic FIRSH. On AR15.com in the EE forum is a seller named Bright flashlights, he has the YHM forearms for about $130. The FIRSH are $130 from Olympic and about $130 shipped from

http://www.the-armory.com/shopsite_sc/stor...ar15access.html

I went with the FIRSH over the YHM because they are a little sturdier, though the YHM look a little better, plus I happened into finding one used but like new for $100 even.

There are a few places with some reasonable barrels depending on what you are looking for. http://www.adcofirearms.com/ has some really decent White Oak Armory barrels off Wilson stainless barrels, in lengths of 16.18 & 20in, in different profiles and twists for $255 - $350. http://www.cmmginc.com/ has several chrome lined ones for around that too.

Flat top upper receivers are available for about $95 shipped from a few places usually, I happened to be on a email list for Del-Ton and they had a sale on them for $75+shipping a while back.

It's still not what I would call cheap, but its definitely better bang for the buck using less popular parts. An upper like what I built using a Daniel Defence tube and White Oak or Pac-Nor Barrel would be $800 or more with the goodies on it.

• 4 weeks later...