How bad did I screw up losing my detent thing from my gas block?

I just removed my gas block to see what size gas holes I have. I've got the spring and 2 pins but can't find the detent thing? Not sure what it's called. I had a rag in place to catch everything so I thought. I have crawled around on my basement floor with a magnet trying to find it with no luck. Is there anyplace I can get one, or am I screwed?

Just did a Google search and found one at CSS.

I went ahead and ordered one from Carolina shooters supply. I posted here after doing a search on this site but not google. I paniced, didn't remember seeing one for sale anywhere. This screw up only cost me $16 shiped to my house. I wish all my screw ups were this cheap:)

You could always buy a drill bit in the same diameter and cut off the round portion you would normally stick in the chuck. I've used this method for small pins Drill bit steel is usually pretty good.

How would he get the pin back through? The detent has a relief cut in it.

you do realize as soon as you install the one from CSS you will find the one you lost in your basement... right?

Yea, I've thought of that. I haven't been in the basement since I placed the order. I figure it's waiting for me to step on it. Or in about a month my wife will walk up to me like she always does and say"Do you recognise this?"

You could always buy a drill bit in the same diameter and cut off the round portion you would normally stick in the chuck. I've used this method for small pins Drill bit steel is usually pretty good.

How would he get the pin back through? The detent has a relief cut in it.

Just vise it and cut the relief with a Dremel until it fits.

• 3 weeks later...

The deal with the little detents is this. Once they are under spring pressure and are released they attain such speed as they can escape our reality. Then they land in some alternate universe to be found by someone else. This also explains why we sometimes find small things in our reality that we swear we have never had. It is because a person in another reality had something of theirs exceed their reality's escape velocity.

This is similar to what happens to socks except with socks it is the round and round motion of the dryer that opens a wormhole only big enough for socks to fit through. No clue where they go though, maybe to those flea market sock vendors.

• Like 2
The deal with the little detents is this. Once they are under spring pressure and are released they attain such speed as they can escape our reality. Then they land in some alternate universe to be found by someone else. This also explains why we sometimes find small things in our reality that we swear we have never had. It is because a person in another reality had something of theirs exceed their reality's escape velocity.

This is similar to what happens to socks except with socks it is the round and round motion of the dryer that opens a wormhole only big enough for socks to fit through. No clue where they go though, maybe to those flea market sock vendors.

I've got plenty of yard work I'm willing to let you do to occupy some of your time.....you obviously have to much of it on your hands.....bad_egg.gif

This explains allot, I still haven't found it yet.

Edited by im_n2_vws