Looking to build or buy a rifle that will shoot min.1000 yards

Was looking at the McMillan 338. Any one have input pros cons?

I have never shot one. Also looking into Hart barrels

This is going to be along range project.

I shot the M87/93 at Ft. Benning. It's a great rifle for material. Nobody wanted her because she was such a big heavy pig. Used to joke that you take the shot, pow some willie and melt in place. McMillan has changed over they years. They now have a TaC-50 somewhat similar. I think they make good parts now. Take it with a grain of salt.

Just set my old man up with a 98B. It's pretty good right out of the box with premium ammo. I consider this to have a lot of bang for the buck.

If you are interested in a custom long range or tactical rifle, consider our local guys here in Montana. http://proofresearch.com/rifles/tactical-rifles/
Read the about us to get some info on all the gunsmiths that came together on this one. Pretty cool beans.

This is my favorite weapon. It's an odd ball not many people know or get to see. http://www.surgeonrifles.com/rifles

These guys are good and have good prices since they pissed a lot of people off by sponsoring the wrong dude. https://www.hsprecision.com/shop2/rifles.html

McMillan is awesome, don't get me wrong. They are really good at making stocks. I'm sure they rifles aren't too bad after all the changes and loss of contract to the government. I do wish them good luck.

• Like 2

Keep these "Rules of 4 for Caliber" in mind for what you want it to do:

400m and closer: 5.56mm NATO

400-800m: 7.62mm NATO

800-1200m: .300 WM

1200-1600m: .338 Lapua

The .338 is a bit too much since you want a 1000 yard rifle.

• Like 2

This is why i love this forum , you can ask a question and get great in put.

Cost on ammo is not an issue since it will be reloaded. My brother and I had the same question as given here, 300 or 338?

1000 yards is all that I can go here in Fl but would like to move out past that. Two guns?

I have just started and this will be my retirement gift to me.

Just ordered new RCBS loader .

Lets just say I have never hunted Elk or Moose and want to.

Cost on ammo is not an issue since it will be reloaded. My brother and I had the same question as given here, 300 or 338?

1000 yards is all that I can go here in Fl but would like to move out past that. Two guns?

I'd be inclined to kick your ass if you shot one of our elk with a .338L :) Stick with the 300 for that!

I got drawn for elk this year so I promptly ordered a Savage 11 TH in 300wsm. Out of the box I have a decent long range stick perfectly suited for this fall's adventure, and I barely spent over $500.

I already have plans for a stock, barrel, and glass to turn it into an even better long range stick, but for now it will do just fine.

Edited by Darth Saigus

I'd be inclined to kick your ass if you shot one of our elk with a .338L :) Stick with the 300 for that!
Elk burger anyone?
  • Like 1
I'd like to take an elk with a Mosin.

My Aunt and Uncle each bag one every year with .270s. Shot placement is where it is at and less meat is pulverized. They hunt on horseback and usually shoot from the horse. A Mosin would get you killed by the horse if you touched it off!

• Like 1
I'd like to take an elk with a Mosin.

My Aunt and Uncle each bag one every year with .270s. Shot placement is where it is at and less meat is pulverized. They hunt on horseback and usually shoot from the horse. A Mosin would get you killed by the horse if you touched it off

I hunted deer with one, one year but didnt get shit, I was really hoping to though. I could see that on horseback. I aint never hunted on horseback, but could see that shit goin down.