cutting SGM mags

I cut all my 10's down to 8 back in the day... I kept the springs the same and had no issues. I would at least try it first without cutting the springs. If the full length spring starts causing feeding problems, just take half a coil off at a time until you think the problem is resolved.

Yes... the ribs are 12, your current length, 10, 8, 5, 3.

There is a vid on the tube and the guy recommends cutting the spring to the same number of coils that extend before cutting... IOW if it has 5 sticking out with the floor plate on when in 12 rd config, then cut it to 5 extending out after cutting it down t 8 rounds. I haven't done it though, so I am not sure, just relating what I saw.

I left the spring alone and hand cycled the mag through and it seems like it'll work fine, if not I'll cut the spring. Looks like you'll have to heat and bend a spring leg after cutting if needed.

Only thing I don't like is its almost as long as my promag 10rd mag. I wish I could just find an Izzy 8 without having to pay $100.

Edited by dubya

IIRC, the factory spring is the same for 8, 10 & 12... No cutting needed.

I cut all my 12s down to 10s and didn't cut the springs.

Edited by ChileRelleno

There are bunch of reasons to trim a mag, but I would say one of the most justifiable reasons is for carrying in packs. The 12rnd mags aren't like 30rnd AR mags, they're so long they barely fit in a duffle bag. ;) I just bought a pair of 10rnd mags specifically to cut to 8rnd.

Edited by Blitz636
question is, why cut the mags down anyway? just doesn't make a bit of sense to do something like that,

12rds was initially all tacticool, but that wore off after awhile due to them being ungainly long, donkey dicks mags.

12s and longer, are popular for 3gun and other competitions, but kind'a suck for most other shooting.

12s have a documented history of failure when shooting slugs/magnum loads, the weight and recoil has sheared either the front and/or rear locking lip/tab.

The above failures have been attributed in part to freezing temps making the polymer brittle.

The springs have been reported by some to feed kind'a weakly in some 12rd mags.

8 & 10rd mags are significantly shorter and easier to handle, have not had the history of failure as the 12s and the spring are not an issue.

Edited by ChileRelleno
  • Like 2

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="dubya" data-cid="886342" data-time="1365305335"><p>

Why? I have 20rd drums, I don't want a foot long mag sticking out of my shotgun.</p></blockquote>

I'm with you, if you've got more 12rnd'ers and drums then you'd ever care to yank the trigger through in one setting, why not add a little versatility to your arsenal.

Just for what it's worth, I've done the opposite on my ARs, I plug 30rnd'ers to 5rnds for hunting, I like to grip the mag on a bi-pod while sitting. To each there own.

Now it'd be a shame if we were having this conversation because the Feds were castrating our capacity...

I find a true 8rd Izzy is close to the best mag around IMO. I have 2 5rd Izzys and I'm trying to buy my buddies 8 but he's keeping a death grip on it..

I'm really looking forward to the new Chaos drum though. I can't remember if it's a 10 or 12 but its only 3.5" in diameter. If that runs well it may become my new go to.

• Like 1