I've been more then a little annoyed at people who think a ban on ready made magazines over 10 rounds would "save lives".. Firstly because there is little evidance that smaller magazines actually slow people down. Like speed bumps, does anyone actually go slower for speed bumps or do you just spike the brakes two feet from it and speed up right after?

And that banning a device magically removes them from ever existing.

I respect 3D printing and the like, but I like going old school to show futility of stupid laws.

Anyway, I'll start by saying no magazines have been damaged in this demonstration. I don't advise using a compromised magazine as it could do something terrible ect. And that I don't advocate violating laws (ordinarily)...

The mag stub used was damaged by being run over in shipping, and was straightened using a hammer and chunk of bar stock. Mag stub is roughly the size of a 7 round, I kinda cut it crooked, because it just does not matter that much.

The lower portion was made using dense cardboard and duct tape. Card board was marked and slit prior to folding to generate crisper edges.

Mag feeds 20 rounds just fine. If one was inclined this can be made to work with AR and AK mags, you would need to copy the geometry of inside of the magazine. Mag springs can be clipped together using "J clips" or the handy mans secret weapon.. Also you can duct tape two mags bottom to bottom and that generally works pretty well.

post-2952-0-09128900-1365389062_thumb.jpg

Please feel free to repost any and all of this post if you find the info interesting, amusing, or otherwise entertaining..

Again I AM NOT SUGGESTING ANYONE EVER DO THIS.

• Like 7

Hmmm, this got me thinking. Would anyone be interested in a "homemade" mag contest, here in the forums?

I'll bet I could make one using only an original spring, duct tape, cardboard, and a tiny bit of sheet metal.

Just a friendly competition.

Edited by Sim_Player
Hmmm, this got me thinking. Would anyone be interested in a "homemade" mag contest, here in the forums?

I'll bet I could make one using only an original spring, duct tape, cardboard, and a tiny bit of sheet metal.

Just a friendly competition.

I accept the challenge! I had a 5 round Chinese mag that would be a perfect host for a duct tape abomination!

The upper portion of the magazine is the complicated part, state of the art (circa 1870s rolleyes.gif ) . The tube below is relatively low tech stuff.

I have made magazines with nothing more then a hammer spot welder... Its just not a fast process.

I currently live in a free state. However firearms owners in my state have to date been very complacent and the antis while few are extremely vocal... Not a good recipe.

As for how long it takes to make a magazine from scratch in a basic shop stocked with tools only from harbor freight... 45 mins each plus a little painting, I made my first set for my .308 out of computer case steel and used a mig welder, jig saw and hammer, I had 8 mags that all worked inside of a day... Ugly as hell, but they worked.

If someone has a intermediate understanding of metal work and one of those mini CNC mills, a press, and some spot welding gear they can turn out better then military issue AR-15 mags at the rate of 200+ body tubes a day. To date its just not worth it as the companies making AR-15 mags produce 70,000+ a week out of a medium size shop.

I currently live in a free state. However firearms owners in my state have to date been very complacent and the antis while few are extremely vocal... Not a good recipe.

Mix in some dictatorial politicians and you'll have a REAL problem.

I suppose anyone handy in sheet metal and a pair of snips and crimpers could make a housing in an hour, or less. Would it work long enough? I don't know.

I figure if they made the old "Grease gun" that way, mags should be pretty easy.