Saiga-12C EXP-01 ver. 030

Hey, the picture blurs out too much when I blow it up-can you tell how that rear sight block is held in place from your book. It doesnt appear to have the usual barrel ring.

Also need to get back with you about one of your projects.

Mark

edit-my bad, it helps if you open the picture before downloading, still can't get a good read on how its attached.

Edited by 6500rpm

It appears to be attached only to the trunnion unless there is some hidden attachment point to the bbl itself.

The bolt carrier appears to be almost identical except for the longer carrier extension that actually seems to go into a hole in the back of the piston. The notch for the BHO is in the same place. That may be an extra notch in front of that to engage the last round BHO. I can't tell much about the bolt itself without taking one of mine out and comparing. I do think I just figured out how the last round BHO works though heeheehee!

The mag looks identical except for the follower being about 1/2" higher than where it stops in the nomal 8s. The locking lugs are the same. My guess is this is the same rock and lock mag we are used to but with the added well for guiding it home. The new Swat mags are different.

This tells me that if you had one of those wells you could probably use it with a stock S-12. Also notice this is a different well than the one on GB with the SWAT mag.

One thing I found interesting was the lower handguard retainer. It is special made to fit a large barrel and still employs the pivoting rocker pin to hold it in place on the barrel just like an AK. I'm still trying to figure out what that little thing is sticking out of the back of the lower HG.

From what I can see, the rear sight block must be "dove tailed' in like the standard gas tube, and pinned in place. Have no idea on what's up with the added length on the back of the lower h.g., but there is a small gap between the barrel trunion and receiver. And the gas block is probably open like in the #2 setting-no reason not to for a gun built for a specific purpose. If you've ever had your gas block off you would see that in the #1 position, only a crack of the port hole is open to the chamber, in the #2 it's wide open. The #1 position just makes for a softer recoil and a little less stress on the gun. It still kills me that we can't come up with one member that can get their hands on one of these.

Edit has nothing to do with the SWAT-just wanted to show the difference in the gas port opening between the #1 and #2 setting. #1 is barely a sliver, but I guess it's quite large in compareson to the diameter of the 3 holes in the barrel. #2 is wide open to the diameter of transfer hole, but still limited to the diameter of the holes in the barrel that feeds it.

I can't get a fix on the bolt stop (bho) either, other than it spells it out in the discription of operation as an

auto/manual bolt stop?

post-1866-1133745027_thumb.jpg

post-1866-1133745042_thumb.jpg

post-1866-1133745580_thumb.jpg

Edited by 6500rpm

Thanks for th diagram, Cobra. I've been asking for one. Problems: The Russians mix and match old and new technology so often that it drives me nuts! I can't see how the auto BHO works from that, or even if that one shown has one. First, it has the old mag with the front lug, AND the new magwell AND taller follower. Plus, there doesn't appear to be any manual BHO. This is very frustrating.

I imagined some lever that is caught by the center tang/tit on the back of the follower on the new SWAT lugless mags (you can see it in the vid). Despite the numerical designation, "0-30," That one is not like the one in the Izmash convention booth vid. If that side-view-only diagram has clued you in to the auto BHO, please, spill it.

The "thing" on the back of the lower HG is probably what holds it into the receiver. I can't see any other step in the HG that might lock it in solidly.

Edited by inparidel

I hear ya on the old and new technology. That gun is basically a transition between the 12C and the SWAT 12.

Look closer at the "mag guide". It's not the same as the one pictured in the other thread and for sale on GB. Notice how the front side is angled in on this one. This is merely a guide like it says that just makes it easier to load the mag somehow. Kind of like the "Stimpcatch" I can scan another couple of pics showing closeups of different angles and post them. The EXP-01 pictured does indeed have a manual BHO. It's also different than ours though. if you look closely you can see that the BHO button is only extended when the bolt carrier is back. When the bolt is in the closed position or is removed the lever is sprung up inside the receiver. that's why you can't see it in that pic. This means that it must work exactly opposite of how ours do. maybe this is how the last round BHOs work. I had some ideas about how to make a last round BHO lever that would work in a normal S-12 with normal mags. I took one of mine apart and studied it closely for a possible solution. I have a picture but for right now it's still in my head. I'll get those other pics up soon.

This means that it must work exactly opposite of how ours do. maybe this is how the last round BHOs work.

I see. Good theory, Cobra. But, if that were the case: spring tension on constant up position, then it would lock back on every shot, unless the presence of ammo neutralizes the effect of the constant up BHO. Still a big F***ing mystery.

I agree about the piston and its new relationship to the carrier/operating rod. I think this one may ride the rod all the way, but the gas tube diameter seems to contradict that. perhaps it rams home into the piston each shot. . . but that would creat a wear situation that AKs always try to avoid. The rod seems to have a pin notch or something on it.

Edited by inparidel

I agree. It may be the presence of ammo or the position of the follower. Here are the oher pics I promised. I wish they had all this on the SWAT 12 but it must have come out after this book was printed.

post-1293-1133886400_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1133886430_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...