Dented brass cases NO MORE!

I only use Wolf ammo which is steel , so I don`t care if the cartridghes are bent or not since I trow them away , but it is a very neat solution to having to pay the outrageous price of $45 for a Velmet piece to save brass cartridges..

On the other hand , I care for the cover finish of the rifle which gets scratched with the hitting of the rds on the damn cover , so my solution was to put 3 or 4 small pieces of electric tape of around 2 inches long , one on top of the other to make it thicker.

Then I apply the tape to the cover on the side right where the rds hit , and that is it .

If , after some mags fired , the upper piece of tape gets chewed somehow , I just peel it off . Later on at the house I will add one por two pieces of tape to make it thicker and ready again . I found out that 3 pieces of black common electric tape is enough to protect the cover but I always put 4 pieces so if I have to peel one off I still have protection of the cover finish .

or you can just buy a cheap Valmet ejection port buffer, which works and needs zero hackery [img=http://forum.saiga-12.com/uploads/gallery/1174961003/gallery_4097_142_79737.jpg]
True, but my hackery only cost $8 including the top cover. If you can find the valmet buffer at all.

I only use Wolf ammo which is steel , so I don`t care if the cartridghes are bent or not since I trow them away , but it is a very neat solution to having to pay the outrageous price of $45 for a Velmet piece to save brass cartridges..On the other hand , I care for the cover finish of the rifle which gets scratched with the hitting of the rds on the damn cover , so my solution was to put 3 or 4 small pieces of electric tape of around 2 inches long , one on top of the other to make it thicker.Then I apply the tape to the cover on the side right where the rds hit , and that is it .If , after some mags fired , the upper piece of tape gets chewed somehow , I just peel it off . Later on at the house I will add one por two pieces of tape to make it thicker and ready again . I found out that 3 pieces of black common electric tape is enough to protect the cover but I always put 4 pieces so if I have to peel one off I still have protection of the cover finish .
I am not selling my buffer, just showing what I did. Any Euro AKM cover except Yugo will fit. The cases don't hit the gun at all with the buffer.

or you can just buy a cheap Valmet ejection port buffer, which works and needs zero hackery [img=http://forum.saiga-12.com/uploads/gallery/1174961003/gallery_4097_142_79737.jpg]

True, but my hackery only cost $8 including the top cover. If you can find the valmet buffer at all.

I only use Wolf ammo which is steel , so I don`t care if the cartridghes are bent or not since I trow them away , but it is a very neat solution to having to pay the outrageous price of $45 for a Velmet piece to save brass cartridges..On the other hand , I care for the cover finish of the rifle which gets scratched with the hitting of the rds on the damn cover , so my solution was to put 3 or 4 small pieces of electric tape of around 2 inches long , one on top of the other to make it thicker.Then I apply the tape to the cover on the side right where the rds hit , and that is it .If , after some mags fired , the upper piece of tape gets chewed somehow , I just peel it off . Later on at the house I will add one por two pieces of tape to make it thicker and ready again . I found out that 3 pieces of black common electric tape is enough to protect the cover but I always put 4 pieces so if I have to peel one off I still have protection of the cover finish .

I am not selling my buffer, just showing what I did. Any Euro AKM cover except Yugo will fit. The cases don't hit the gun at all with the buffer.

I am not interested on buying your rubber buffer or the Velmet buffer , in any case . I also know that any AKM cover would fit the Saiga.223 . I already have my cover that , with 4 little pieces of common electrical tape is protected perfectly against scratches from the ejected rds, so no need to buy extra AKM covers or repaint the cover . I put the tape on before going to the range and take it off after , when I clean up the gun so the tape is just strictly for shooting . Cost is zero .

I made the comment that you had a neat solution for your dented cartridges because it seems that you reload . My tape solution is good enough for avoiding scratches and works well .

Any source for less than $45 though? that is a lot of money for a little chunk of rubber and a stamped spring clip.

Is that how much they cost now? They were about half that price when I looked at them last year. Still a bit of a cost, but if you reuse your brass it could be worth it.

P.S. you don't want to use an AKM cover, you want to use an AK-74 cover. The AKM cover doesn't have the stamped safety lever relief to accept the larger Saiga/AK-74 safety. If you put an AKM cover on the Saiga, the safety will either not fully go up into safe, or it will get caught on the cover. The poster in the OP's link is confused - he doesn't have an AKM cover, he has an AK-74 cover.

Edited by mancat
  • Like 1

Do your cases still have the dimple around the primers from the little bit of extra mass on the boltface? ;)

I reload mine with dents and dings without ANY issues whatsoever... Am I reloading them for ultra-accurate use in competition grade match rifles?? NOPE... but to reload them for PLINKING ammo ( which is what just about EVERY AK chambered in .223 is... ) they work JUST FINE!!! :up: They still shoot groups of about an inch at 100 yards... :up:

:smoke:

Do your cases still have the dimple around the primers from the little bit of extra mass on the boltface? wink.png

I reload mine with dents and dings without ANY issues whatsoever... Am I reloading them for ultra-accurate use in competition grade match rifles?? NOPE... but to reload them for PLINKING ammo ( which is what just about EVERY AK chambered in .223 is... ) they work JUST FINE!!! 032.gif They still shoot groups of about an inch at 100 yards... 032.gif

000.gif

Not sure about the boltface. I will check. My thinking is, why shoot dented cases when I don't have to.

My thinking is... why worry about fucking around, when I can reload and shoot everything just fine... 032.gif

You would probably CRINGE at some of the shells I will jam in my savage axis and touch off... huge gouges on shoulders, dents, dings... as long as they will CHAMBER... all fire just fine... and when they come out... just as NICE and pretty as you please!!! fireforming takes away a lot of tweaks!! LOL! :lol: Again... I wont reload them for anything more than "plinking ammo"... so it doesnt really become an issue unless after a few they get REALLY bad... splits, etc... Then they go into the brass bucket. :up:

000.gif

Any source for less than $45 though? that is a lot of money for a little chunk of rubber and a stamped spring clip.

Is that how much they cost now? They were about half that price when I looked at them last year. Still a bit of a cost, but if you reuse your brass it could be worth it.

P.S. you don't want to use an AKM cover, you want to use an AK-74 cover. The AKM cover doesn't have the stamped safety lever relief to accept the larger Saiga/AK-74 safety. If you put an AKM cover on the Saiga, the safety will either not fully go up into safe, or it will get caught on the cover. The poster in the OP's link is confused - he doesn't have an AKM cover, he has an AK-74 cover.

Yes, my mistake . I have an extra east german AK-74 cover that I bought along with my east german AK-74 zig-zag , chromed , 24mm muzzle brake . The cover is a lot thinner than the russian Saiga`s factory original , and it has stamped ribs while the Russian has none . I find that it looks better on the rifle than the flat russian cover , but that is my opinion .

BTW, the 74 muzzle brake is beautifully made . How the east germans are able to make those little zig-zag holes is really beyond me .

Edited by josey88