I finished my stock finally. It is on a "converted" saiga with a Red Star trigger. I made it adjustible for switching from sights to scope.

My question/ concerns is how does this fit in to the AWB? Is it classified as a pistol grip?

saiga2.jpg

scope2.jpg

scope3.jpg

Thanks

Edited by thinking

If the internals are replaced with US parts, you can put a pistol grip on it, otherwise, you are restricted to a thumbhole stock (at least that's how the law is written) I've seen letters from ATF saying otherwise, but I go by the law as proposed by congress.

P.S. I like the adjustable feature.

Sounds like I may be OK with the thumb hole stock. I originally did not want to change the trigger location until I tried to "tune" the stock trigger. It was a POJ. The adjustible trigger was more expensive but boy is it smooth.

Ths scope is way overkill. It is one of the new 4-12 russian scopes. I am doing some ballistic calculations to make it work for the 223 out to 600M. I plan to use the Bullet drop compensation from 8-12 power. I am calling this my "Saiga Varmint rifle".

Next is to make a new forearm to match the stock. I can not waite ti get to the range to see if I can hold a decent group and to chronograph the 223 loads from the 16" barrel.

Ugly, I thought it was pretty creative! Shoot, if he puts a wood forend on it with a nice matching wood stain, it'd look awesome!

I like modifying guns when I get them, almost none of mine look factory original. Personalization, creativity, ingenuity...that's what it's all about.

I prefer guns that are functional, durable, and cheap for the most part. Wood on a synthetic setup I just cant see doing. That one would look a lot better with a matching grained wood forearm though. Like I said, the time, effort and money spent customising a particular gun to me anyway, well, lets just say I would much rather have more ammo, (10,000 rounds is the limit for private citizens in my state), or another gun. Kinda like buying a bushmaster AR, adding some cool parts to it, hitting the 1000$ mark, and shit starts breaking on it. Shoulda just spent the cash on a colt, eagle, olympic, or DPMS. I do totally understand why you all like to customise your stuff tho. I do it once in a blue moon myself, but its never an asthetic change. Its always something that will add to my weapon's utility function. Polished bolt, chamber, shotgun chokes, adding a duck rail, laser, flashlight, etc etc

OK, I see your point as well, you'd rather have more factory guns than a few highly customized guns. That's cool. Though if you will permit me a childish moment...

You have an ammo limit! :haha:

Sorry, couldn't help.

Ky: WE ALL DO! LOL SORRY BRO!!! Mine is just 10,000 rounds. Most states have that law, but the amount varies. check it out. I know there is a federal law somewhere that is in place to prevent weapons cacheing. You need a dealer's license to be in possession or store a certain amount of ammo. I WOULD like highly customised guns, but I want that extra money spent on accurising them, or a REALLY good scope. I dont care that my AR doesnt have rails on the foregrip, but I might go ahead and put one on there so I can put a bipod on it. Not to stick all kinds of stuff on it so it looks cooler. BUT, in all honesty, I would rather just SELL it and get a preban. Problem solved. I seriously considered a Sako bolt-action as well, last year. VERY expensive gun, but very nice to shoot. Bought a Saiga-12 and a few cases of various ammo instead. I want ten guns for 1000$, not one. Im sure you all can understand that logic.

I'm with Bvamp. Looking cool is OK, but I believe in priorites.

1; It absolutly HAS to work.Anything delicate or fussy is not worth the agrivation.

(1a;military designs are usually more rugged and easier to field strip,clean,ect.)

2; Anything overly expensive is no fun to "use hard and put away wet'.

3; It's more fun to play with if it is cheaper to feed!

4; Get the basic,most versitle ones first (.22,30-06,12-ga.,.223-----)

5; HAVE FUN!

One old man's opinion-but if I haven't learned anything by now I probably never will!

LOL G O B :rolleyes::killer::killer:

I propose to impose said changes into aforementioned ruling:

4a: Try to stick completely to the calibers aforementioned in section (4) if you can manage it.

4b: Do not mix shotshell gauges

4c: When buying odd calibers that are NOT former service or collectible weapons, then a custom gun is warranted. Only then shall section (4) and subsection (4a) of said rule(s) apply thereof pertaining to said calibers in this section (4c)

LOL :angel:

• 2 weeks later...

a saiga that does not take high cap mags does not fall under the 89 ban and can therefore have a pistolgrip/thumbhole stock. See the lot of single stack AKs with pistol grips and no US parts as an example.

If it takes high cap mags AND has a pistol grip or thumbhole stock(atf says they are the same), then you need us parts to make it a US gun

Hi

Looks like I started alot more conversation than I expected. I have the front done. The design started with me wanting to have the barrel float. Meaning that it is only supported by the action. The forarm is supported only by the action also so the barrel is always "free floating" there is no pressure put on the barrel from the forarm. I put regular studs on the forarm and stock for the harris bipod and slings. Next step is to give it a thorough accuracy test with match grade ammo and maybe some sheap stuff also. With the "light" trigger and floated barrel I hope to make it usefull as a medium range varmint rifle (out to 300 or 400 yards). After all this work I hope I do not end up with a plinker. I have chronographed the rifle already. Use the "cheap" Winchester white box ammo 55 gr FMJ it ranged from 2890 fps to 3010 fps. That was about the average I expected with the 16" barrel but hopefully match ammo will prove more consistant.

new1.jpg

new2.jpg

I made these changes because I like them. I did look at other rifle stocks but when it came down to it, I just did what I liked.

Looking good I espically like the replacable cheek piece. I could never get my hand to work with that little thumb hole---but if you ever decide to toss it I do have a dremmel!!!!

G O B