Tanfoglio Witness P Full Size Frame 40 S&W

As my last purchase for a least a few years, I decided on a 40 S&W. I have read a lot about these pistols, almost all are favorable. Does anyone here have any experience with them? Won't have it for a month or so, so by then HOPEFULLY I can pick up a few boxes of 40 for it. Will also have to get a 2nd magazine as well. Thanks for any input.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_231/products_id/411550715/EAA+WITNESS+Polymer+40SW+4.5%22+Full+Size

I can't remember if it is OK or not to post links...if not I apologize as I am not endorsing or trying to sell anything.

Thanks for the reply. One on my friends has a EAA 40, all metal and loves it. I haven't read anything bad about this pistol, and though I will not spend the cash on another XD pistol, I do miss mine. So this will have to do as it's replacement once I get it. One thing I really like about it is SA and DA. Love those hammers!

• 2 weeks later...

Was finally able to hold one witness in 9mm at my LGS the other day. Quality is really good, as well as fit and finish. The price is really unbelievable, of course I still say this about my Bersa's as well. The LGS clerk commented about how he didn't like how thin the front of the slide is. IDK, I kind of liked it. Something different, that's for sure. Tight tolerance's as well. Should have mine i a few weeks. Now finding ammo for it, that's a whole different story.....:(

Funny that you posted this. I've been looking at the Witness for a really long time. I'm aware of a lot of the horror stories of the 10mm, but everyone that owns a 9mm seems to say that they're awesome and are a decent respectable CZ clone. I really don't want anything bigger than a 9mm, so I'm very interested in hearing what you might find out.

I'm not the type that returns guns. If there's a problem I'll generally fix it myself, so I'm not really worried about EAA's return policy, which seems to be a common complaint from people.

Edited by mancat

I have 2 Witness pistols. Both are all steel. One is a compact .45ACP, the other my Limited division gun for USPSA in .40S&W.

I have seen the poly guns choke left and right. I really want to pick one up, but just can't justify it. My Limited gun had some mag issues with the old style mags. I had to load my rounds out to 1.22" and use 10mm mags to get it to run right. Since then, I have switched to the factory 40 mags (newer style) with no issues.

Here are some pics of my baby (reposted from the pistol pic thread):

sVaRH.jpg

qpyPV.jpg

ugIEF.jpg

7OMMh.jpg

Funny that you posted this. I've been looking at the Witness for a really long time. I'm aware of a lot of the horror stories of the 10mm, but everyone that owns a 9mm seems to say that they're awesome and are a decent respectable CZ clone. I really don't want anything bigger than a 9mm, so I'm very interested in hearing what you might find out.

I'm not the type that returns guns. If there's a problem I'll generally fix it myself, so I'm not really worried about EAA's return policy, which seems to be a common complaint from people.

I own 2 steel framed Witnesses, a compact in 45 and a full-size in 10mm. ALL of the problems with the 10mm version come solely from the poorly designed magazine spring that binds up when the mag is loaded with more then 6 rounds, and an extra weak recoil spring that lets the slide bash the shit out of the frame that eventually causes the frame to crack.

Get the +5% or +10% mag springs and atleast a 20 lbs recoil spring from Wolff Gunsprings and all of the problems disappear with even the hottest/heaviest of loads.

My grandfather has a steel Witness in 9mm and my Dad owns one in 40S&W, all of them are VERY nice and VERY accurate.

Edited by Barnett3006

Hopefully your gun won't come with this clever little "fuck you" note from EAA.

When EAA has something that they know doesn't work, they will ship it anyway, and include this note with the item.

post-1323-0-95812400-1367941315_thumb.jpg

I own 2 steel framed Witnesses, a compact in 45 and a full-size in 10mm. ALL of the problems with the 10mm version come solely from the poorly designed magazine spring that binds up when the mag is loaded with more then 6 rounds, and an extra weak recoil spring that lets the slide bash the shit out of the frame that eventually causes the frame to crack.

Get the +5% or +10% mag springs and atleast a 20 lbs recoil spring from Wolff Gunsprings and all of the problems disappear with even the hottest/heaviest of loads.

My grandfather has a steel Witness in 9mm and my Dad owns one in 40S&W, all of them are VERY nice and VERY accurate.

Good info. Sounds like maybe they used the same spring in all calibers.

Good info. Sounds like maybe they used the same spring in all calibers.

I'm sure they did, as with "off-the-shelf" 40 S&W velocity equivalent loads it runs great with the original spring. Not so much when your ammo gets hotter then that.

No way.

WHat kind of reviews have you read? Not making fun but what I find is that most peoples idea of a good gun is 200 trouble free rounds. Or 1000 rounds in a year. If Im buying i want to see reviews of 1000 rounds in a weekend. Mixed fmj, jhp, +p, standard. In the dust, dirt....etc...etc..Basically I want to see it go through a handgun course and from more then one or two guys. I want to see high round counts. Instead most of what I find is that the reviewer has gone out on a nice sunny day and sat at the bench with 4 boxes of ammo trying to get them all into one hole. I can see maybe the CZ75 version,....when they originaly stole the Czech design but this just looks like its a half ass copy of the Turkish guns. Buds retail price says $362. Im not sure if thats current or not but for that money I'd buy a used police gun instead. Something with known quality and reliability.

How is mag availability? Spare parts? Warranty?....seems to be none existent

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=340340781

Or add an extra and.......If its going to be your last purchase for a while I'd definitely ad a little extra

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=340351049

Older S&W 4006 sell for about $350. All stainless steel gun. Supurb reliability. Newer M&P40 go for about $400

Edited by Arik

You may very well be correct. But, I do not shoot matches, MOF, I tend to just shoot a couple of times a year. HOPEFULLY once I move back to Texas that will change. I will give the pistol a chance. Right now, I am not worried about shooting 500+ rounds through it.....especially at how high the prices for .40 ammo is. It might or might not last 1K rounds, 2K rounds. Guess I will find out. As for mags, very reasonably priced (buds). Spare parts seem not to hard to come by from the Manufacturer.

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up my pistol this weekend, though I will not be able to shoot is until next month. I see no issues with the quality, MOF, the quality is well above it's price. Break down is simple and all parts on it move freely and smoothly. Magazine is smooth and ejects very nicely when loaded. SA trigger is crisp, smooth and light, however, DA trigger is kind of tough. Don't know what it is in pounds-pull, but it is up there. Will have to look into springs for it. Not happy with only one magazine, but like I said, they are not hard to find and inexpensive. Although I find the grip comfortable (OK....not digging the Gucci hand bag pattern but can live with it) it is somewhat rough, so will be putting a hogue grip cover on it. I will post more after I bust come caps thru it. I am happy with the purchase for not....

And know, 'I love you' card in it either! :)