I am finding myself to be in the market for a new spotting scope. The one I am currently using is a 45x scope, and with the "heat waves" in the view of my 300yd target, I can hardly see a .30 cal bullet hole, and no way can I see a .223. I can't imagine seeing the bullet hole @ 500 yds!!

So, I need more power!!! It's hard to correct when I can't see.....My 5 shot groups w/ .30-06 are 2 1/2" and my .223 is at 4" to 5". I feel like I could do better if I knew what each shot was actually doing. Shooting 5 shot groups, then walking down range seems like a waste of ammo and time to me.

So I am looking to see what you use or would reccomend.

The older I get the closer the targets get and the bigger the used targets and bullets diameters grow.

If you’re going to a new scope I’d go on past 60 to a 90 or so.

Are you shooting at a black or white back ground on the target? For me seeing the hits seems like it’s easier on white.

On the other hand what about those hi visibility marking targets?

post-26137-0-15072600-1368039866.jpg

I make my own targets. I go to the local newspaper and buy "end-rolls" of newsprint paper. It's a 2' tall roll. I use a fat red marker to outline my 4" white Box, and put a 1" red square in the middle. The holes show up well as a black dot, even on the red part. I would like to take a confident hunting shot on antelope @ 300 yds w/223 (I try for a neck shot on antelope, as they haven't got a ton of meat)and bigger game out to 400-500yds w/30-06.

My research ended with the purchase of a Konus-80. I have read bad things about the Konus 100mm. Down side is that it is tipsy in the wind. One can use a sock filled with sand or ankle exercise weight wrapped around the small tripod if you are in a lot of wind. Tripods can be upgraded. Purchase based upon reasonable cost and the many users at Camp Perry. If you have lots of money there are many options. The Konus does get a little milky at max but I find it servers my use out to 300 yards just fine. Nikon, Sightron and Leupold are better. Read the many reviews of the Konus at the larger scope sites. Stay away from Barska. Serious dudes at Camp Perry used Kowa not Konus. Camera adapter for the Konus is iffy.

The older I get the closer the targets get and the bigger the used targets and bullets diameters grow.

If you’re going to a new scope I’d go on past 60 to a 90 or so.

Are you shooting at a black or white back ground on the target? For me seeing the hits seems like it’s easier on white.

On the other hand what about those hi visibility marking targets?

One day out of necessity, I used paper plates. Now I love them. I get the cheapest paper plates I can find and use a light colored high lighter marker to mark it. The white paper plate shows the dark bullet hole and so does the high lighter.

I feel like a cheap ass when stapling the plates up at the range. But why pay more for shit that doesn't work as well...

I don't like the splatter targets for 223. Maybe it's the one's I'm using but the paper plates kicks their ass. The splatters work fine for larger sized rounds though.

The benches @ the range are covered, and in shade, so glare isn't bad, mostly the waviness of the heat distortion that really messes with me.....besides older eyeballs not seeing tiny dots.

I do also like paper plates for targets. Having the 2" tall rolled paper helps when sighting in, as you can cover the whole area with a clean sheet and see the shots that are Way-off. My Mosin Nagants first shot from 300yds. was about 2 feet right, but dead level......I would never have even known where it was shooting without the "Clean slate" that was 2'x4' in size. Can't do that with a board covered in bullet holes. Regardless of the target on the paper, I would recommend trying it when you folks sight in a rifle.

Older eyeballs.....lolz. I have a floater on my right eye, and it has a mind of it's own. I line up the sights(or crosshairs on the scope), and cue the "Jaws" theme. It creeps over, and jumps right as the trigger's breaking. Open sights on the AK aren't too bad, but plays hell with the peep on the AR or the scope when it's on the AK. Doc can't do anything until it stops moving, then it's a 3 second laser shot to bust it up.

Keep an eye on ebay. The bigger ones pop up every now and them pretty reasonable. Don't know what you'd find locally, but Sportsman's Warehouse took over the old Outdoorsman's Warehouse on Reserve. They should have "Site to Store" running soon.

ETA: Forgot, I use the black party plates from Dollar Tree for targets. I use the 6" round for 100 yds and the 9" square for 200 yds. Here's the impacts at 100.

DSCF0330.jpg

Edited by Lone Eagle

I don't like the splatter targets for 223. Maybe it's the one's I'm using but the paper plates kicks their ass. The splatters work fine for larger sized rounds though.

I love shooting splatter targets with my 12 gauge bad_smile.gif