Saiga 308 trigger problem

Good day good people,

I recently acquired a 223 Saiga rifle, and a 308 Saiga rifle. I bought both online, new.

This post is about the trigger on the Saiga 308.

I am relatively new to the larger gun world, and, accordingly, and not totally up on all the gun lingo yet, nor am I technically proficient in general. So please bear with me while I catch up to speed.

I googled about the problem I'm going to post here. I thought it was just my rifle, but apparently as it seems on many other posts, this is a common issue: I do not like the trigger pull on the 308 whatsoever. The two-stage trigger pull combined with the powerful impact of the gun makes me a bit uncomfortable.

I live in New York State. We are allowed only one "military" aspect to a gun. I am already maxed out as you guys know the 308 has a detachable magazine. I do not understand fully what "conversion" means, that you fellow speak of a lot, however, it seems that most of the trigger modification posts state to do a conversion, which I believe would mean adding another, minimally, military aspect to my rifle, which is illegal in New York.

Okay, so, is there a way I can have my current trigger, or, swap out to a different trigger, my 308, without having to do a conversion which would still enable my rifle illegal in New York State by not having to add another military aspect?

If the answer is yes, let's first go with modifying my trigger-what would have to be done? Since I have not technically proficient, unless it is first-grader easy, I am going to have to take it to a gunsmith.

Let's go with the second scenario: assuming a new trigger can be put in, and this is a better option than having my trigger modified, what trigger would I get? Where? And since I am not technically proficient, I'm assuming a gunsmith would have to do this, correct?

All input and help is sincerely greatly appreciated

Thank you!

Gunsmith could likely get it working better with the original parts.

Something that may help you is to focus on how the Saiga .308 trigger works, its more of an upward pull then a rearward pull. Focus on lifting the trigger not pulling it toward you.

The polymer SVD stock for unconverted Saiga, or if you convert, get a PSL stock...no pistol grip

http://centerfiresystems.com/SAI-STK-SKE.aspx

used to be $75

https://www.apexgunparts.com/product_info.php/products_id/3215

I have this set on my unconverted 308

http://www.troupsystems.com/saiga.htm

So this stock this nice gentleman mentioned is not legal in NY, correct?

Lets go with it is legal for the mmonet, till the answer comes for sure...then if legal what trigger would get to work with this stock?

Also, I read there is a law, federal, I believe, that an imported gun has to have a cetain limit of foreign parts vs USA parts to be legal? Correct? What law?

What does it say?

Thanks so much for all the help

Edited by AShotInTheDark1

That law is 922r it won't apply to you however since you'll never be able to use greater than 10 round magazine. So could you convert and use a thumbhole stock and fill the thumbhole withWood or kydex or something?

I would do whatever you can to convert it legally (well techanicaly "I" would move) but what it means to convert is to place the trigger forward where it's supposes to beonce you do that it's no longer a strange upward movement to the trigger. Also what about a bullet button like in Cali? I don't see why they pass all these stupid ass laws, why not go all the way and say all semiautos are illegal at least that way there would be no question.

I've always said the left makes no sense whenever say ban high cap mags, makes no sense unless you say ban and confaciate all in possession.

That law is 922r it won't apply to you however since you'll never be able to use greater than 10 round magazine. So could you convert and use a thumbhole stock and fill the thumbhole withWood or kydex or something?

I would do whatever you can to convert it legally (well techanicaly "I" would move) but what it means to convert is to place the trigger forward where it's supposes to beonce you do that it's no longer a strange upward movement to the trigger. Also what about a bullet button like in Cali? I don't see why they pass all these stupid ass laws, why not go all the way and say all semiautos are illegal at least that way there would be no question.

I've always said the left makes no sense whenever say ban high cap mags, makes no sense unless you say ban and confaciate all in possession.

To move the trigger forward need a gunsmith correct?

Not really I did it at home. You just have to take the plunge. I would read and watch everything you can find on it. There's two rivits and two tack weld holding that plate on the bottom of the reicicver get it off and then it's just a

After of wither buying a bolt on trigger guard for the new trigger positition. I had access to a welded and just welded my old trigger guard in the new spot (cheaper) and then if I were you I would find a thumb hole stock and get some small pieces of kydex and get them hot lay them in the thumbhole and then do the other side and bolt then together so as to get rid of your thumb hole.

Oh after you Move the trigger you must drop in just about any trigger, you may be better off buying a trigger group from dinzag he mods them for the saiga308. And a new pistol grip T-nut. It's easy. You just have to take the plunge.

• 3 weeks later...

To sum, what has been transpiring in my threads in this forum, for those who may wish to kinky help, please, I have a Saiga 223, and a Saiga 308, both unconverted and totally stock/unchanged from factory. I want to shorten the stocks on both, and fix the peculiar trigger configuration on the 308. I live in NY which makes this tough; allowed only one military aspect. And tougher, I am not handy at all, to put it mildly.

After a lot of investigation and going back and forth with a lot of gracious gentleman on this forum, I have come to the conclusion that the best way to do this on both rifles is as follows:

This company below offers a kydex pistol grips of which this company claims is probably legal in New York; they cannot give a definite answer, and I don't blame them, for legal reasons which are obvious. All they will say is that they believe it is probably legal. I need to make sure that these types of pistol grips are legal, and I'm not sure how to do that. Perhaps beyond opinions, you good people can directly onto how to find out exactly whether or not these pistol grips are legal as under no circumstances do I wish to break any laws whatsoever. Please as well to give opinions as to whether or not you believe these modified pistol grips are legal.

Here is a link to the modified pistol grip:

http://shop.solartactical.com/AR15-A2-STYLE-KYDEX-SLIP-ON-GRIP-136.htm

The actual work that will be needed to be done to modify the receiver to move the trigger and accommodate the hopefully legal in New York State modified pistol grip is simply beyond my ability. I do not know a screwdriver from a wrench. I am going to have to find a gunsmith to do this particular pistol and grip work.

Which leads to the trigger. There is been a lot of feedback about the triggers, so please help me to clear this up. I believe I have to buy a new trigger for the 308, is that correct? If so what and where? I further assume that the 223 trigger that I have is fine, and can just be moved forward, is that correct?... If not, same questions above.

The same company has adjustable butt stocks, of which from the guidance of you good guys, and watching YouTube, I understand can be pinned. This seems relatively simple, and, I actually think I can pull this off. So this part is covered. However, I just want to ask opinions: are pinned stocks definitely legal in New York State? When I watch the videos on YouTube, they speak about pants, but I'm not sure exactly what pains they are talking about-again I'm ignorant about mechanical things. Exactly what pins in my getting? Interestingly, a guy from the company I mentioned above said that I could use bailing wire, and just fired off, after drilling a hole, or two; I like that better. Do you guys agree? If so are we talking about just regular old bailing wire, and literally just twisting it into a kind of not and that's all one needs to do? It would seem to me that since it can be undone, relatively quickly, would that not be legal?

I am putting everything into this one post. I know it has been brought up before, I just want to make sure: if I do all the above changes, which am leaning heavily towards doing, will I still be in 922r compliance? I will give input on to that by saying since these are US-made materials I would believe so.

Since I am in New York State, and shall remain so for the foreseeable future, I'm going to have to do the above, which I want to, but keep it within the parameters of the law.

Thank you for helping me to finally put this all together and get it done.

922r will never apply to any new York legal rifle. I also would learn to do the work myself. I'm telling you if you could pin a stock you could do the conversion.

And I'm not sure about th pistol grip cover thing, working with kydex is easy.

922r will never apply to any new York legal rifle. I also would learn to do the work myself. I'm telling you if you could pin a stock you could do the conversion.

And I'm not sure about th pistol grip cover thing, working with kydex is easy, you should be able to do a thumb hole delete

Edited by Ak Monty