Polished bolt/holder, drilled ports

I polished the bolt, and rounded smooth the high spots, also polished the rails the bolt holder slide on,

and the bottom on the bolt holder and top of the hammer (just used the cotton wheel and some of the rouge that comes with the dremmel on the rails),

tried to cycle some Federal bulk (dram 3, 1 1/8 1200 velocity) still no love, figured it was worth a shot though.

So I checked the ports, there was 4, I couldnt fit the 5/64 bit in, so it was somewhere between .060 and .075, I used a drill bit to check, I dont have any pin guages.

So I drilled them out to .093, maybe should have stepped, and tried the .075 first, but, that didnt happen.

Went to the range, only had 50 rnds left of the Federal, fired 15 from shoulder without issue, using stock 5 rnd'r

35 from hip with the 5 rnd'r all without issue.

Now my question, should I put 2-300 rnds threw before I call it reliable, I want to get the TAK-47 auto plug when it's deemed reliable..

Well seems you have pleennttty of gas at 4 ports at .093 and it ate the cheap shit. I would go ahead and go with the autoplug. I would say its not going to get worse the more you break it in but actually smooth things out ever more so. Dont run 3" mags with the autoplug.

I would shoot some more rds through it maybe 100 or so if possible with 10 round mag and or drum they tend to load differently see where

your at. as for auto plug it can be put in anytime but it better to tune with larger mags or drums because you get more shots out in a row to see if you are tuning it right.

hand cycle the bolt 100 or 200 times that will brake it in too. i hand cycle mine 30 or 40 once or twice a week it cheaper

than buying ammo it to break in the action.

Edited by bobabuee

How did it shoot before you did all the work?

It would only cycle high brass like Winchester Super X 1330 velocity, the Federal bulk never even came close to ejecting, it was like a single shot.

Bolt holder? I think you mean carrier.

You are correct.......shame.gif

Mine only cycled high brass birdies till I ported and smoothed and profiled internals. Eats everything. 4 ports at .073

I fet FTL sometimes if the shells have been in the heat for awhile.. itll get caught of the extractor port above the barrel and shave plastic off. But rarely do I get a stove pipe.

Heres my input as at as your question. I'd think if you fired a buck from the hip and it worked fine I'd call it good with that mag only. I'd try to get some ammo through it with whatever mags you'll be using. If you'll never use a drum then who cares if it doesn't run with them, he'll they could be illegal where your at I don't know.

I am in Wisconsin, so all I have to worry about is the 922 compliant law, right now I have 3 12's and the 5, only use the 12's at the inlaws farm,

I will head out there and try the 12's, if it goes with the 12's without issue for 100 or so rounds I will get the auto plug, then start on the cosmetics,

(stock and forestock) something to lessen the bruises.....heh

ya not talking about 20 round drums I was talking 12 round drums. promag sucks for mags I have 1000rds through my drums not a problem but I dont drop them to ground or throw them like some people do.

I polished the bolt, and rounded smooth the high spots, also polished the rails the bolt holder slide on,

and the bottom on the bolt holder and top of the hammer (just used the cotton wheel and some of the rouge that comes with the dremmel on the rails),

tried to cycle some Federal bulk (dram 3, 1 1/8 1200 velocity) still no love, figured it was worth a shot though.

So I checked the ports, there was 4, I couldnt fit the 5/64 bit in, so it was somewhere between .060 and .075, I used a drill bit to check, I dont have any pin guages.

So I drilled them out to .093, maybe should have stepped, and tried the .075 first, but, that didnt happen.

Went to the range, only had 50 rnds left of the Federal, fired 15 from shoulder without issue, using stock 5 rnd'r

Now my question, should I put 2-300 rnds threw before I call it reliable, I want to get the TAK-47 auto plug when it's deemed reliable..

The gun may be over gassed now. Check the rear trunnion for bolt carrier wear marks, a little wear is normal. As far as breaking it in....with 4 ports at .093.....it's broken in.

• Like 1

The gun may be over gassed now. Check the rear trunnion for bolt carrier wear marks, a little wear is normal. As far as breaking it in....with 4 ports at .093.....it's broken in.

I was concerned about that, been watching it close, didnt notice signs of wear, but it's only 50 rounds, next time I go out, I will put some duct tape on there and look for signs of smashing it.....

I was concerned about that, been watching it close, didnt notice signs of wear, but it's only 50 rounds, next time I go out, I will put some duct tape on there and look for signs of smashing it.....

Umm minus the duct tape. Youll know after 20-30 shots if its beating the piss out of it. Take a before and after picture. I wouldn't run 3" mags. Thats for sure lol

Edited by travistp

Get the autoplug. You are good to go. If for some reason you have issues later, you can go a little further on the friction reduction, but I doubt you will need to.

lots of people use 4 ports of that size. You make it sound like unusual monstrosity rather than the upper end of normal. He can expect to clean his gas block a little more. The autoplug will also help to fine tune the ejection force.

As for 3" with the autoplug...http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/gallery/album/1219-tac47-autoplug-gf-magnum-edition-mark-15/

The link GunFun posted shows an ingenious mod to the Auto Plug. He ground a small depression into the side of the regulator. This depression allows the Auto Plug to be "turned off" and allows for the regulator to act similarly to the factory plug on setting "1". In essence you have a single plug with factory "Setting 1" for high powered loads and a separate "Automatic Adjustment" (Auto Plug) setting. I will do the same to mine as soon as I get my end mill powered / tooled up. I think GunFun used a grinder and had excellent results.

The link GunFun posted shows an ingenious mod to the Auto Plug. He ground a small depression into the side of the regulator. This depression allows the Auto Plug to be "turned off" and allows for the regulator to act similarly to the factory plug on setting "1". In essence you have a single plug with factory "Setting 1" for high powered loads and a separate "Automatic Adjustment" (Auto Plug) setting. I will do the same to mine as soon as I get my end mill powered / tooled up. I think GunFun used a grinder and had excellent results.

I was going more for setting #.5 rather than # 1... but that's the idea.

I used a 1/8" cylindrical diamond burr on a dremmel, but I got a little sloppier than my usual standards. It works, but the cut isn't as crisply defined as I wanted.

I had notations on each image, but they seem to be gone.

Gonna order an auto plug in a week or so, got to get a new tumbler first.

If I feel brave enough, I might have to try the auto plug mod too, although I have no plans to run the bigger stuff,

I might get some slugs thinking of carrying it on drives, not sure yet though...

So tempted to try this. I use mostly high powered stuff for turkey hunting and wing shooting. The bulk pack stuff is just for fun.

Join ussssss. Joiiiin us.

Seriously though. Just turn the autoplug upside down and put in your turkey loads. If it cycles with normal ejection, you are done. If it is a little weak, make a shallow notch. deepen the notch until you get the amount of ejection you want with your fiercest rounds. And add a little detente on the rim of the plug to index. Someone else also pointed out that there is enough meat there to have two different notches and still keep a full off. Basically you could end up with an MD plug with an easier knob to grab that has "Auto" where wide open used to be.

• Like 3