s308 scope problems

Hey guys, i have a 21in s308 with a vortex 2.5-10. Tried to zero the scope using tula 150gr fmj and win 150gr pp. Went through 20 rounds of each and my poi kept changing. regardless of scope adjustments... it was all over the place. I got it on at 25m but @ 100m it was insanity. Checked the scope rail and rings for tightness, everything was locked down good. I wouldnt even bother to call my results @100 a group. Im thinking 1: she dont like 150gr ammo, 2: i need more trigger time behind it (operator error) or 3: the mount is flexing thus changing my poi regardless of scope adjustment. The mount is a utg mount, never had an issue with it on the x39 (and shouldnt the mount flex back to proper position?).I got the 308 used, but it looked immaculate and i converted it w dinzags parts. Maybe she needs broken in? Sorry for the rant, just trying to give all the info i can in an attempt to narrow down all the factors. Let me know what yall think i should do.

Are you shooting groups like 5". Cause I can shoot great at 25 yards but when I move to 100 it opens up..... A lot. Of course all my shooting is with iron sights and my rifle was NIB and is 16" so that could change things.

8+ groups. On the last couple rounds i was getting alot of gas in my face. I just took the rifle apart to check for anything odd and noticed the gas tube extremely hard to remove. Finally got it popped out and the detent spring on the end of the gas tube was bent. I bent it back and reassembled. Next im going to mount the utg mount onto the x39 which has proven itself group wise and see whats up.

It sounds like the rifle may have a problem. I don't know if it would make a difference but could the gas tube be slightly out of line and could that cause the bolt carrier to rub on the tube? Or could it be getting a different gas impulse each time? How is it with iron sights?

I don't even know if these problems would cause it to shoot bad but it couldn't help.

Hadnt tested it with iron sights to be honest, i wanted to get the scope up and running then fall back to check them. I may have found part of the problem tho. The rings. Id checked them before and decided to check again just to be sure and the damn things must have shaken loose! I feel like an idiot lol. Was able to turn them tighter to the mount by 1 1/2 turns each. I honestly thought i had em so tight they wouldnt come loose, never did on the x39. I suppose there really is that much more recoil huh? God i feel like a tard. Rain notwithstanding ill shoot again asap. My apologies guys.

Sounds like your all set. Good luck and post some good groups when you shoot them. The best at 100 I've done is about 5" but it's all iron sights so I'm not going to say the gun isms capable of better.

Barrel loose? Try this simple test. Shoot at 100 yards with varying down pressure on the barrel. If you have a muzzle mounted bipod, this is easy to do. See if you get any real bad vertical stringing. If so, have you and a buddy then just grab the unloaded rifle and see if you can detect ANY wobble in the barrel in the trunnon when holding the stock firmly and wiggling the barrel hard. Low probability. HB of CJ (old coot)

I'd like to get a scope for my s308 but it's so much cooler with A folding stock and just irons. I do want to change to the tech sights rear sight. Then maybe weld a mounting plate for a mini red dot like the RMR at the old rear sight block.

If you decided to use tech sights rear, you should be able to use the m.i. red dot mount that replaces your leaf sight i think. Thatd be pretty slick imo.

Not totally sure but might be worth askin about lol

The way i kinda see it, my sgl w folding stock fills the niche of using irons or the 1-4 which can be ripped off fast if something happened. I saw the 308 more as my longer range weapon and really want that 2.5-10 to work out well. I decided to go ahead n pick up another m.i. mount bc i did feel kinda derpy trying to use a cheaper mount and cheaper rings which im almost sure is the reason i encountered such issue. But it did work on my x39... ah well lol. Hopefully after this im done buying shit except for ammo for awhile.

Edited by LuPiN8oR

I didn't have any luck using the side rail on my 308. it seemed to have too much flex for a larger recoil of the 308. with every thing tight I could still flex the scope almost a 1/16 inch side to side by hand. So I went with the dph beryl rail it is solid as a rock and I keep my iron sights if ever needed

post-9518-0-90133600-1371685843_thumb.jpg

Edited by deadeye
  • 2 weeks later...

RANGE REPORT! Finally, i got saturday off and it wasnt raining! I got the m.i. mount and rings w scope set up and locktited down HARD a few days ago, have been waiting for a day like this. Slapped the scope mount on and began adjusting the scope. Temp was 80°, winds calm, distance was 100m. I used tula 150gr fmj and on the last groups i used win.150gr pp to try to fine tune. Apparently it was the flimsy mount w non locktited screws after all! I was firing a three shot group, then adjusting on #4 and again on #5. Last pic is to show what the 3 shot group looked like before an adjustment, was excited n accidentally measured using shot #4 but you get the idea lol. Im pretty satisfied with the results!

post-46523-0-73624600-1372553888_thumb.jpg

post-46523-0-15118300-1372553947_thumb.jpg

post-46523-0-65521100-1372553986_thumb.jpg