Recommendations on upgrades for S-12

I just received my Saiga 12 from K-VAR the SGL12-07 (it came converted). I am going to set it up with the Slide Fire stock so i'm looking to see what you guys would recommend for the hand guards/quad rail, sights, and muzzle break. The best parts one would upgrade to, may not be the best part for a setup that is going to be used for rapid firing. For example the Chaos Titan is a work of art but it may or may not be comfortable when you are unloading a 20rd drum in a few seconds. Same goes for a sight, I would want either dual sights or one that would work well for rapid fire and single shots. Finally the muzzle break would be needed to keep the S12 on target as much as you would hope during rapid fire.

After reading all the threads on the parts i've bought so far I am pretty confident that I will love them. Hopefully someone else has had a similar setup and can provide some guidance.

Parts already purchased

Saiga 12 - FIME SGL12-07

Slide Fire SSAK-47 XRS (waiting for delivery)

CSS Gas Plug (installed)

Tac-47 Auto Plug (waiting for delivery)

Tromix FCG (needs to be installed)

3 Pro Mag 20 rd drums (needs to be installed and tested for fit)

Looking for recommendations on

Muzzle Break (I like the Tromix Monster and JTE models)

Hand Guard (Love the look of the Chaos Titan just worried about comfort in rapid fire)

Sight (no idea on what would work well)

Vertical front grip (no idea on what is good)

Attached is a picture of my S12 just out of the box (well still in the box but you know what I mean) with no work done yet.

post-47900-0-97664100-1374084768_thumb.png

Insure reliability first, apply upgrades second.

I would not remove the stock-stock or put the TAC-47 in until you know it shoots reliably in the "stock" configuration.

Easier to trouble-shoot in the original config if it does not.

Just my $0,02

-BP

• Like 1

I think it would be easier if you decided what you want, then people can tell you if they think something is shit. smile.png

I have a tromix monster claw brake, and I'm happy with it. I use a burris fastfire red dot, and its magnificent for any type of shooting.

I think it would be easier if you decided what you want, then people can tell you if they think something is shit. :) I have a tromix monster claw brake, and I'm happy with it. I use a burris fastfire red dot, and its magnificent for any type of shooting.

The fastfire is perfect for a S12 and mine has held up through a lot of usage. I wanted something different but settled for the cheaper option of the FastFireIII and have been very happy with the decision.

First off several people on here who have bought a slide fire stock for their S12 ended up getting rid of them after a fairly short period of time. The limited magazine capacity, expense of ammo, and dificulty controlling it make it little more than a novelty. You will find that muzzle brake on shot guns do not make a big difference, I do have a Molot style from CSS and it does help with follow up shots but felt recoil reduction is minimal. With a 20 rnd drum I ended up adding a magpul angled fore grip you will need something because of the size of the drum. The anlged grip felt better to me than a vertical grip but others like the vertical grip more. I would recommend mocking something temporary up to see how both positions feel before buying a grip to see which one you prefer. Seriously though do some searches on here for slide fire stocks and read the threads before spending $$$ on one!

Post #2 is dead on.

Muzzle brake compensators do work and both the ones you have selected are good choices. However, muzzle breaks need powerful shells to really show the difference. You will have to film it or measure your split times to notice much of a difference with light loads. A good recoil pad such as Kick Eez or Limbsaver makes a bigger difference in comfort and controllability than most of the fancy doodads people want to buy. No reason not to get both though.

If you plan to hunt, shoot clay, or mostly shoot lighter birdshot loads, a choke attachment such as this may be more useful to you.S-12 Winchoke Adapters - Cobra's Custom - forum.Saiga-12.com. I have a hard time deciding whether to have a comp or a choke. CSS and DPH offer chokes that allow you to screw on the brake too. That might be a very good choice if you are willing to add 1.5"

While I don't want to talk anyone out of a bump stock that wants one, I also suspect that you would have a lot more fun with $300 in ammo.

My preference is to avoid heavy quad rails and the like. Titan is surely the coolest of them, but a shotgun is about maneuverability and balance. Imo if you get a titan quad you need a VFG or AFG. I do like the feel of the AFG and it goes well on the tapco forend too. If you need this because it makes you excited, then get what you want.

Post #2 is dead on.

Muzzle brake compensators do work and both the ones you have selected are good choices. However, muzzle breaks need powerful shells to really show the difference. You will have to film it or measure your split times to notice much of a difference with light loads. A good recoil pad such as Kick Eez or Limbsaver makes a bigger difference in comfort and controllability than most of the fancy doodads people want to buy. No reason not to get both though.

If you plan to hunt, shoot clay, or mostly shoot lighter birdshot loads, a choke attachment such as this may be more useful to you.S-12 Winchoke Adapters - Cobra's Custom - forum.Saiga-12.com. I have a hard time deciding whether to have a comp or a choke. CSS and DPH offer chokes that allow you to screw on the brake too. That might be a very good choice if you are willing to add 1.5"

While I don't want to talk anyone out of a bump stock that wants one, I also suspect that you would have a lot more fun with $300 in ammo.

My preference is to avoid heavy quad rails and the like. Titan is surely the coolest of them, but a shotgun is about maneuverability and balance. Imo if you get a titan quad you need a VFG or AFG. I do like the feel of the AFG and it goes well on the tapco forend too. If you need this because it makes you excited, then get what you want.

The Winchoke adapter sounds like a great piece of advice, the link you put up isn't working, I tried searching for it on google as well. Everything brings me back to the dead link or other post about how great it is. I guess I will have to reach out to Cobra Customs to see if they still sell them.

I know the slide-fire is a novelty but that novelty is what made me want to purchase an S-12. This forum is what has gotten me to think that I can do a lot more with my S12 than have fun at the range with it. Plus If I ever get bored of it, I can always put the slidefire on the AK and new stock on the S12. I did get the slide-fire recoil pad with my stock so hopefully that will provide a similar benefit to the limbsaver.

I agree with Post #2 as well which is why I have a pile of parts waiting to be installed after I finally take it out to test fire.