Eric my son used his lawn mowing money from the summer and bought a Wasr-3 and let me tell you it was a Jam-o-matic at the range the other day but he has been working with my dremal tool grind and cutting and fixing it. Under supervision of course. He plans to use it in next year's tree gun matches. I made him get the Wasr-3 because I don't want to stock too many types of ammunition. Any tips or suggestions are welcome.

Eric my son used his lawn mowing money from the summer and bought a Wasr-3 and let me tell you it was a Jam-o-matic at the range the other day but he has been working with my dremal tool grind and cutting and fixing it. Under supervision of course. He plans to use it in next year's tree gun matches. I made him get the Wasr-3 because I don't want to stock too many types of ammunition. Any tips or suggestions are welcome.

topmaul,

Sounds like Eric is watching his budget. Otherwise, I would suggest doing what I did with my WASR-10. After trying to polish the Century Arms FCG I threw away the original and replaced it with a G2. It runs fine as wine with the new trigger system.

I tried a Blackjack buffer in it but removed it after getting stovepipes. Again, it shoots very reliably.

The other thing I did was install a MOJO sight on it. Just a preference and certainly is not as crucial as the old FCG.

Wolvie

topmaul,

Sounds like Eric is watching his budget. Otherwise, I would suggest doing what I did with my WASR-10. After trying to polish the Century Arms FCG I threw away the original and replaced it with a G2. It runs fine as wine with the new trigger system.

I tried a Blackjack buffer in it but removed it after getting stovepipes. Again, it shoots very reliably.

The other thing I did was install a MOJO sight on it. Just a preference and certainly is not as crucial as the old FCG.

This one has a G2 in int already!!!!

Wolvie

• 2 weeks later...

This gun sucks, it jams all the time the mags wobble big time. As it trys to strip the next round the bolt bites the round and hangs up. I think that when the mag is held back it works. Help

let me ask you something? the "drift tool" that comes in the cleaning kit, you should be able to jam that into the gas port and into the bore. can you do that? or is the hole too small?

the other thing is, does it have trigger slap? I bet the solution to the trigger slap problems with the sar's would work for you.

the other thing is converting it for double stack mags and possibly eliminating the mag wobble it has.

///just tossing out some ideas to think on.

The gun came with a G2 triger group. So there is no triger slap proble I guess that is the one and only good thing about the gun. It has already been converted for double stack mags. The problem is that it does not feed correctly. I believe that if I had a slightly longer magazine lever the mag would not have up and down motion. That may correct the problem. Not sure. Any AK scientists out there that might be able to help.

let me ask you something? the "drift tool" that comes in the cleaning kit, you should be able to jam that into the gas port and into the bore. can you do that? or is the hole too small?

the other thing is, does it have trigger slap? I bet the solution to the trigger slap problems with the sar's would work for you.

the other thing is converting it for double stack mags and possibly eliminating the mag wobble it has.

///just tossing out some ideas to think on.

Even if he converts to the double stack I have found a certain amount of wobble in my WASR-10 that far exceeds the Saigas.

I think you are on to something on the gas port question though. Also if you are using any kind of a recoil buffer take the damn thing out. Mine runs like a champ until I install a Blackjacks buffer. Then it is stovepipes galore. Take it out and she runs. I hate to say it but there is no comparison between the WASR's and Saigas. When the new ones arrive you should consider the caliber you want and convert it. Fit, finish, and function will exceed Century's imported WASR's any day.

You need to find the german Weiger mags. It was made for the .223 round. http://www.interordnance.com/ These guys used to carry them. If you can find these, It will feed 100%. At least in a SAR3. The mags you have are not made for .223, they are made and converted from the 5.45 round.

Edited by tomme boy

you should be able to take a stick welder and add a bead of metal to the end of the lever and grind it to shape/fit.

if you fire the gun while holding the mag fully up, like an extended lever would achieve, does it still not feed right?

you should be able to take a stick welder and add a bead of metal to the end of the lever and grind it to shape/fit.

if you fire the gun while holding the mag fully up, like an extended lever would achieve, does it still not feed right?

It seems to work better if you hold the mag up seems to work better I plan to shoot it this weekend I'll post more later. Do you know anyone who sell the mag catches?

hell you should be able to get one off one of the builders here. tony might have one, cobra might, indy might, post a request.

I would guess that the mag catch would be different, as the catch is for the single stack mags, which I thought were a little bit different than the double stacks for the hookup methods

You could also build up the underside of the rear lugs on your mags and achieve the same result as modding you catch.

Make sure your gas port is unobstructed, polish and grease the rails and fcg, no recoil buffer (don't need one with a .223).

You can get the wobble out of the mags by building up the sides with something to make them wider.

I built up the bottom of one mag and it appears to work I used 22 guage sheet medal which I sodered to the lug then ground and filed of excess and it seems to work now. I plan to test fire it and if it works I'll do the rest of them.

Hey bro a simple solution to it, get a piece of metal stock,

silver solder the metal to back of mag catcher on gun, file the stock

until you get the fit that you need for the mags, like that you can use

any mag with out altering the mags, no need to get a new mag

catcher for the gun and if you do a good job on it, no one will notice

the piece of metal stick silver solder to the back of the mags catcher.

That will work if thats the only problem with the gun.

We fired around 50 plus rounds today and had two misfires the firing pin did not strike the primer hard enough. there was an extreamly small dimple in the primer. But the good new Eric found out how to bump fire. The jamming problem is solved but the misfire problem still exists also I think I need to take a little more off the mag lug because sometimes the mag release is hard to operate. Other than that we are ready to rock.

My buddy bought a WASR at Dunham's Black Friday sale. It has the single stack mag, I think it is like 5 rnds or so, but the muzzle device baffles me. It almost looks like the nut for a brake, but it isn't quite. Anyone know what I'm talking about? I can get a pic if not. He was wanting to get a 104 brake for it, but I'm not sure if it is threaded under this thing or not.

My buddy bought a WASR at Dunham's Black Friday sale. It has the single stack mag, I think it is like 5 rnds or so, but the muzzle device baffles me. It almost looks like the nut for a brake, but it isn't quite. Anyone know what I'm talking about? I can get a pic if not. He was wanting to get a 104 brake for it, but I'm not sure if it is threaded under this thing or not.

Linx (the master of all things regarding Romanian AK's) says there's no threads under that nut.

From his page:

Low Cap Model 2:

A WASR-10 is a P.D.B (Produced During assualt weapons Ban) Romanian semi-automatic AKM (aka AK-47) clone. This version of the rifle has a pistol grip and cannot accept Hi-capacity magazines. The end of the barrel usually has a nut welded over it, but has no threads. It uses the standard AK-47 7.62*39 cartridge. The fit and finish of this rifle is good; this rifle has some of the best looking Blonde wood and some minor machining marks. The glaring disadvantage of this rifle is the low capacity. The advantages of this rifle are its reliability, cheap ammo, large selection of replacement parts, and beautiful wood. This is a good starter AK but I would buy one of the Hi-capacity models that can be had for a little more.

Linx (the master of all things regarding Romanian AK's) says there's no threads under that nut.

From his page:

Low Cap Model 2:

A WASR-10 is a P.D.B (Produced During assualt weapons Ban) Romanian semi-automatic AKM (aka AK-47) clone. This version of the rifle has a pistol grip and cannot accept Hi-capacity magazines. The end of the barrel usually has a nut welded over it, but has no threads. It uses the standard AK-47 7.62*39 cartridge. The fit and finish of this rifle is good; this rifle has some of the best looking Blonde wood and some minor machining marks. The glaring disadvantage of this rifle is the low capacity. The advantages of this rifle are its reliability, cheap ammo, large selection of replacement parts, and beautiful wood. This is a good starter AK but I would buy one of the Hi-capacity models that can be had for a little more.

Sweet thanks man, I'll pass it along.

• 5 weeks later...

sorry to hear about your trouble. I converted a wasr-10 awhile back and welded sheet metal into the sides of the mag well to inprove the fit. link ar15.com

my .02 is buy a chinese AK if you want one in 223.

I'm sure you can get the wasr3 running good with some luv

Edited by Ikilludie
  • 3 weeks later...
From his page:

Low Cap Model 2:

imine was threaded under the nut, just dremmeled the weld and unscrewed it