You missed the point on the 22 but thats ok no matter.

Hmm a Mosin is in the Mauser family, its a big family.

Same as the 1903 US rifle, based on the Mauser. Swiss, Czech, German, US, Russia etc etc all based their bolt action combat rifles on the Mauser.

Good reason for this, they are tough as hell and are combat accurate, not a Savage but built tougher, much tougher.

You want to avoid the collector pieces, you are after functionality. Would not pay more than $250-300 no matter how good.

Think the Czech made good ones, forced labor for Germany IIRC, and those used to be around.

Enough digression if you want a project rifle the Rem or Savage would be the best bet for reasons as posted.

My point is that generally the Remingtons are tougher, last longer and have larger aftermarket support. There is a reason they are used by just about every branch of the military. They hold up. Now if you are like me and shoot your bolt action commercial rifles every so often (I have a Ruger M77 in 30.06) it doesnt really matter. But if you like bolts and shoot a lot spend a bit more and get something more durable

• Like 1

Get a Vepr.

I've pretty much given on trying to find the vepr I wanted so this is why I've moved onto getting a bolt action instead with the money I saved up.

The Tikka is pretty up there in cost but At the end of the day I wouldn't need anything else for it.

I really love the quality savage puts into their rifles though at better prices though. Its looking like it will be a savage as of now.

I also plan on ordering another sound suppressor so its good these are already threaded.

Another good rifle someone sent me a link to is the Remmy 700 AAC-SD

Since the Vepr is out , which would be my suggestion if you can find one I got a Winchester M70 Laredo in .300 Win mag a few years back. Free floated bull barrel with BOSS weighted compensator and aluminum pillar bedded oversized Kevlar match stock. The action is the M70 pre-64 claw feed and it is stellar, sub MOA. It will do 1000M easily. Bought it at Walmart for around $800. They are rather rare as they came out in the '90s and with the advent of dickheads AWB and the fudds claiming only the Remington 700 was any good Winchester ceased production.

Edited by U.S Praetorian

The remingto 700 is a good bolt gun, but remember anything purchased by the government is going to be just reliable enough and super cheap, doesn't make it the better choice just more widely used. Honestly the nicest rifles for the money to me are the steyr bolt actions they are superb shooting guns with sturdy bolts, but they are expensive and far outta my league.

Megaman I think classic arms has some finnish mosin nagants in, the finnish ones are defintiley the most accurate and coolest in mho. Most of them were rebuilt by companies like tikka and sako some others who are still around today. Just wish they made a sniper model.

They don't have the m39s in and im not looking for any carbine models.

lol I do this thing where every time someone mentions another bolt action I will look it up for the good part of an hour.

So far we got a majority of everyone saying savage is the way to go because they offer more for their price.

I'm only trying to spend 600-900$ on the rifle itself. Then comes glass. With that price set in mind what do we got? savage and remy both meet my price range.

Rhodes since you brought up the mosin. I have been also looking for a finish m39 and also could not find one. so I went on to look for a vepr. could not find one. trust me months on months of looking.

Thats a hard one to find wish I could also.

I just take an old Ruskie and make into what I want, they do make great projects. Enough aftermarket out there to do about anything you wish and of course the machinists need work too if ya cant find it.

Not something I would do to a M39 or 1903 for sure.

But a 91/30... pass me the hack saw.

how about some durable glass next? im pretty sure I dont need a 1000$ scope. I know It wouldn't be a good idea to get a low cost one either.

ANy best bang for the buck scopes out there? I plan on hiking with this rifle. I don't want it to lose zero in case its dropped or the road gets bumpy ya know

Bang for buck huh...

Having real good performance from Nikon ProStaff at less than $150.

Optics are bright, Focus, BDC can be had, and so far despite bumps and even a drop it is working well.

I could spend twice what I paid and still have a worse scope.

Bang for the bucks.

Bang for buck huh...

Having real good performance from Nikon ProStaff at less than $150.

Optics are bright, Focus, BDC can be had, and so far despite bumps and even a drop it is working well.

I could spend twice what I paid and still have a worse scope.

Bang for the bucks.

I also like the Nikon bdc scopes. Once you figure out what the mils are for the reticle you can use it for both bullet drop and ranging (similar to dot type reticles).

My 270 came with a bushnell scope. I replaced it with a leupold and honestly don't like it as much as the nikon.

And as it happens, the Savage Trophy Hunter model comes with a nikon bdc..

But I repeat myself...

This is the card I made for my 300wsm. The left is range estimation. The right is bullet drop.

*These numbers only apply to my rifle, my load, my scope, and my zero.*

post-4831-0-13600200-1378529858.jpg

Edited by Darth Saigus
  • Like 1

I pretty much found two great deals.

Want to know your guys thoughts. Both of these rifles ar in .308

800$

1 Remington 700 AAC .308 20" barrel & Bell and Carlson A3 tactical stock (Black).EGW 20MOA base included, Vortex diamondback 4-12x40 w/ BDC reticle (not mounted but like new with box).

Rifle has 300rds thru it . Rifle has threaded barrel w/ Thread protector. Also has a removable tactical bolt handle on it. Aluminum, feels great and solid fit

2. 1000$

Properly broken in using Savage's instructions. Extremely accurate. I was shooting MOA @ 200 yrds with match grade 168 ammo and consistently hitting a half bowling pin on a rope @ 300. I'll include 45 rounds of Federal match boat tail. Has a monarch 44mm 5-20x bdc reticle scope sitting on a dednuts one piece game reaper mount, Burris bipod (allows you to shoot prone and sitting), and a nice butler creek sling.

Same as the 1903 US rifle, based on the Mauser. Swiss, Czech, German, US, Russia etc etc all based their bolt action combat rifles on the Mauser.

Good reason for this, they are tough as hell and are combat accurate, not a Savage but built tougher, much tougher.

You want to avoid the collector pieces, you are after functionality. Would not pay more than $250-300 no matter how good.

Think the Czech made good ones, forced labor for Germany IIRC, and those used to be around.

Enough digression if you want a project rifle the Rem or Savage would be the best bet for reasons as posted.

The Czech people hated the Nazi and were forced to produce rifles for them at the Brno factory. They were skilld craftsmen who would put intentional errors and defects into the rifles. You want to stay away from a wartime Czech rifle. Trust me, or look into it. smile.png Nei Dobre!

OP

Try to find an old Leupold VX2. The old ones were high quality and bomb proof. The new ones have come down in quality and the components are outsourced to china. Other good used scoped to keep an eye on are Zeiss and S&B. All of these scopes will run right with dings and scratches on them! smile.png

Ask yourself, why would the owner want to sell such a great rifle?

Edited by Stryker0946

I just read all the threads in this post. I see you are willing to spend 1k for a used rifle so why not just get a Steyr SSG69 and be done with it. It will shoot better than 90% of it's users and isn't dainty like all the stuff listed.

Edited by Stryker0946

The Czech people hated the Nazi and were forced to produce rifles for them at the Brno factory. They were skilld craftsmen who would put intentional errors and defects into the rifles. You want to stay away from a wartime Czech rifle. Trust me, or look into it. smile.png Nei Dobre!

Thanks now that I had not heard, certainly would were I in the market for one.

Do you know what kind of defects they inserted?

I just read all the threads in this post. I see you are willing to spend 1k for a used rifle so why not just get a Steyr SSG69 and be done with it. It will shoot better than 90% of it's users and isn't dainty like all the stuff listed.

Dial back the testosterone a bit there he-man. You're frightening all us dainty boys.

• Like 1

lol nice However it seems the guy decided he liked his rifle too much to let it go for 1000$ and raised the price 300$ haha So no decisions are made in stone yet.

Atlantic also told me of there veprs where to get one in 23 inch. After a lot of thought. and some people telling me the wiser.

I realize that .308 is going to be in more plentiful supply than 54r with more variety of ammo types for it. unless i want to shoot surplus all day.

So even tho the vep I wanted is now available Im thinking it may not be the best route to take and plus I want to get good at distance shooting. those guns at best 300 yards. I'm looking to go past that.

Never thought Id pass up a vepr.

• 2 weeks later...

If you want a project rifle you could start with a Stevens 200. Its a pre- accutrigger savage. Takes savage stocks barrels bolts and what have you. I paid 250 for mine new in 308. I have a Bushnell on it now but previously a centerpoint which actually far surpassed my expectations as far as quality. Just note the stock leaves a lot to be desired as it his a bit of flex in the fore arm area but this is remedied easily with a replacement.

Edited by 86camaro