While it's funny them passing that law...it's also a little immature.

Though the article does say " Supporters acknowledge the licenses would be only a symbolic stance against government surveillance,.." still, a lot of people think it's for real, and that the drones fly in tree-top high at 35 mph.

While in Big Bend State Park a few years back, I took this picture of what I believe is an RQ-4. (Zoomed all the way in on 70-300 mm lens)

Again...it's pretty hard to shoot down a drone 25000+ ft up...

nikon_d40_068.jpg

At normal operating altitude, you are not going to see or hear a Predator, let alone take one down with a shotgun or even a rifle. They will see you however. I'm pretty sure the ones lost overseas were due to mechanical issues and not hostile fire. I worked with Predator folks on a couple of deployments. They lost one one on a Kosovo mission as it was returning to Bosnia due to fuel issues and I watched them crash one in Pakistan as it came in on fire and they didn't want to risk landing it in that condition with all the aircraft on the airfield.

Despite the picture on the box, people aren't so concerned about the Predator and Global Hawk as they are about the various small drones that many agencies are using already. Things like RC airplanes and quadrotors. Those, you would have a better chance of actually shooting. ;)

Despite the picture on the box, people aren't so concerned about the Predator and Global Hawk as they are about the various small drones that many agencies are using already. Things like RC airplanes and quadrotors. Those, you would have a better chance of actually shooting. ;)

Some of those RC airplanes are still hard to shoot down. Our troops have been using smaller ones for a long time to patrol around Forward Operating Bases and bird dog ahead of ground convoys. I have not heard of any that were shot down. We even have ones small enough to be jumped in inside a ruck, assembled on the dropzone, and used to laze targets for fast movers dropping ordnance on bad guys. Seen them personally. I'm pretty sure they fly them out of shotgun range and are definitely too fast to take out with a rifle. They don't get lost either. They are computer programmed and will return to the operator with the laptop/flight controls. Pretty awesome actually.

• Like 1

The RC planes made me laugh. Not because I'm mocking anyone but due to the fact I worked for a while at a prison that didn't have a fence. Just a privacy hedge. I won't mention the name but many of you who are in Corrections have probably heard of it. Its the only level 5 (max) womens prison with no fence. For exorcise the women walk around this big open courtyard. One afternoon I spotted two RC airplanes buzzing the courtyard and causing a ruckus. Now this prison is smack in the middle of town. IE. There is a elementary school and a public swimming pool a block from the prison. All that separates the inmates from the locals is a 3 foot hedge. Soo, there I am looking for the culprits when i notice two people in "chairs" across the street. I walk over jump the hedge and low and behold its two old timers. Both are wheel chair bound and both have big honking spotting scopes set up next to them. I kept as straight a face as I could and asked them why they were strafing the women? The older looking of the two who had to be about 200 just gave me a crooked grin and said. "When they get all scared and run around they're boobies bounce!" The other old timer laughed and nodded his head and said. "I do like them boobies!" I couldn't stop laughing.. I told them they had to stop and walked back and reported it to my watch commander who nearly pee'd himself laughing.

• Like 1