I'm retired military, and I ask for a military discount anytime I buy anything, stores, restaurants etc....usually discounts are  10 %. so far the only store I came across that doesn't give discounts to military is TARGET.

the thing is, unlike military retirees who have a ID card that proves you're a retired military, how is someone to know you are a bona fide vet? unless you plan on carrying your DD214 everywhere

Edited by Matthew Hopkins

I'm retired military, and I ask for a military discount anytime I buy anything, stores, restaurants etc....usually discounts are  10 %. so far the only store I came across that doesn't give discounts to military is TARGET.

the thing is, unlike military retirees who have a ID card that proves you're a retired military, how is someone to know you are a bona fide vet? unless you plan on carrying your DD214 everywhere

Walked into Lowes not knowing they having a discount for all former and active military. Just told the guy we had to go home to get my DD214,and he said since we knew the form # no bother. Gave us the discount on the spot, saved over $125.

• Like 1

Here's the rules for Lowe's discount:

Military Discount

Lowe's established the 10% Military Discount to support the men and women who are currently serving our country in the Armed Services1 and to honor Retired Veterans and VA Recipients.2 This 10% discount is also extended to the immediate family3 of those who are currently serving, Retired Veterans, or VA Recipients.

To qualify for the Everyday 10% Military Discount, you must:

Be currently serving in, or retired from, a qualifying branch of the Armed Services, or be the immediate family member of someone who is and have a valid military ID Card.

Or:

Be a veteran who receives VA benefits and have a valid Veteran Identification Card (VIC).

We honor all Veterans on three specific holidays: Memorial Day, 4th of July and Veterans Day. During these three holiday weekends, we extend the discount to all veterans who served honorably and who present a valid Form DD214 or other proof of service. The Lowe’s Military Discount is extended to the Veteran community on these three holidaysonly.

The Military Discount must be used on personal purchases only and cannot be used for Lowes.com purchases, previous sales, or the purchase of gift cards or services including product installations. It cannot be combined with the Lowe’s Price Guarantee, or promotions such as "Spend and Get," "New Mover," "Project Starter," "Your Choice," or discounts such as Quote Support Program (QSP) quotes.

• 1  Armed Services — US Army, US Navy, US Air Force, US Marine Corps, US Coast Guard, or the National Guard and who are in     active, reserve, or retired status.
  • 2  Retired Veterans and VA Recipients — Veterans who have retired after 20 years of service and/or those who receive VA Benefits
  • 3  Immediate Family — Spouses and/or dependent children (up to 18 years old.)

Here's the rules for Lowe's discount:

Military Discount

Lowe's established the 10% Military Discount to support the men and women who are currently serving our country in the Armed Services1 and to honor Retired Veterans and VA Recipients.2 This 10% discount is also extended to the immediate family3 of those who are currently serving, Retired Veterans, or VA Recipients.

To qualify for the Everyday 10% Military Discount, you must:

Be currently serving in, or retired from, a qualifying branch of the Armed Services, or be the immediate family member of someone who is and have a valid military ID Card.

Or:

Be a veteran who receives VA benefits and have a valid Veteran Identification Card (VIC).

We honor all Veterans on three specific holidays: Memorial Day, 4th of July and Veterans Day. During these three holiday weekends, we extend the discount to all veterans who served honorably and who present a valid Form DD214 or other proof of service. The Lowe’s Military Discount is extended to the Veteran community on these three holidaysonly.

The Military Discount must be used on personal purchases only and cannot be used for Lowes.com purchases, previous sales, or the purchase of gift cards or services including product installations. It cannot be combined with the Lowe’s Price Guarantee, or promotions such as "Spend and Get," "New Mover," "Project Starter," "Your Choice," or discounts such as Quote Support Program (QSP) quotes.

• 1  Armed Services — US Army, US Navy, US Air Force, US Marine Corps, US Coast Guard, or the National Guard and who are in     active, reserve, or retired status.
  • 2  Retired Veterans and VA Recipients — Veterans who have retired after 20 years of service and/or those who receive VA Benefits
  • 3  Immediate Family — Spouses and/or dependent children (up to 18 years old.)

It was a Memorial Day sale.

is there a discount for veterants

If you're talking about being a forum contributor, yes there is, 100%... I'll pay your $5. Welcome to the forum and thank you for your service! PM me your email and I'll paypal you the $5.

For that matter... I'll pay $5 for every serviceman to become "contributors" up to the first 20 guys ($100). No proof required, just honor.

Wondering if the discount MAY also apply to retarded law enforcement or fire fighters?  Totally different job usually, but still serving the greater public need...over the needs of that individual.  Just wondering.  HB of CJ (old coot)

I worked for Home Depot for about 4 years when I was in school. If anyone ever asked for a service discount of any type (military, police, fire, emt, etc) it was pretty much automatic up to a $200 discount. Despite the fact that I'm a 6'4" hairy white man, I was a cashier (actually a "Head" cashier... wooohoo!) and I had a 10% discrepancy in my power up to a $200 discount, every day of the week. Over those 4 years I saw MANY store managers (or assistant managers) come and go (at least 20) and NEVER heard boo about giving discounts to loyal customers or serviceman.

One of our assistant managers would break-off for 15% as he was a combat injured vet (total hearing loss in one ear).

If you go someplace like that and are making a reasonably sized purchase (anything over $100) and they WON'T give you a discount, walk out and don't go back. HD loved vets and their policy, at the time (nearly 10 years ago), didn't require any proof. All that shit is marked up to the sky anyhow.