- - - - -

vepr .308 chambering 7.62 NATO

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jasondavisesq

jasondavisesq

• 8 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:41 AM

My apologies if this topic has been brought up before (or if it is considered a stupid question) but I was curious as to whether or not the vepr .308 is able to chamber and cycle (safely of course) 7.62 NATO (7.62x51).  It was my understanding, after a small amount of research, that nearly any rifle chambered for .308 would be able to safely handle 7.62 NATO.  However, I have received two different answers from two different importer/manufacturers regarding the vepr .308 and I wanted to inquire from those who actually own and/or have shot both types of ammunition through the vepr .308  Thank you for your time.  

#2 csspecs

csspecs

Top Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,581 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 01:43 PM

http://en.wikipedia.....308_Winchester

Although very similar to the military 7.62×51mm NATO specifications, the .308 cartridge is not identical, and there are special considerations that may apply when mixing these cartridges with 7.62×51mm NATO, and .308 Winchester chambered arms.[5] Their interchange is, however, considered safe by the Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers Institute (SAAMI).[6]

#3 jasondavisesq

jasondavisesq

• 8 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 01:48 PM

thanks! and I'll probably be contacting you about some magazines soon big_smile.gif

• ShadowFire likes this

#4 ShadowFire

ShadowFire

You CAN do it yourself.

• PipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 02:05 PM

thanks! and I'll probably be contacting you about some magazines soon big_smile.gif

You'll like them, no doubt.

Yeah just shoot the hell out of it.  :)

Fight Terror, Support Israel

#5 SmithAK

SmithAK

Advanced Member

• PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 02:31 PM

For reference it is the opposite of the 5.56/.223 rule. Any gun chambered for .308 will handle the 7.62x51 but you need to verify if a particular 7.62x51 will handle .308 

• Dracozny likes this

#6 jasondavisesq

jasondavisesq

• 8 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 02:35 PM

much appreciated!  

See that's why I thought it was strange when the first importer/manufacturer that I contacted about the vepr 308 said that it could not chamber and cycle 7.62x51 in addition to the .308

#7 Legion U

Legion U

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 02:45 PM

I am glad to see that others have confirmed my answer to you. Also, I did not forget about you headspace question. I will make sure to answer that one when our gunsmith comes in.

#8 jasondavisesq

jasondavisesq

• 8 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 03:02 PM

Alex, you are truly a patient and dedicated businessman.  I appreciate your help! Also, I was not doubting your word at all, I just like to get as much info from as many quality sources as I can before making a decision.  Thanks!

• Legion U likes this

#9 Nev

Nev

• Contributor
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:07 PM

Hi,

Nev here.

I have a .308 ordered and paid for waiting for the FFL transfer to arrive. Hope to contribute some less than idiotic posts!

I know my nation best. That's why I despise it the most. And I know and love my own people too, the swine. I'm a patriot. A dangerous man --Edward Abbey

After one look at this planet any visitor from outer space would say "I want to see the manager." -William S. Burroughs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users