Sign in to follow this  
jasondavisesq

vepr .308 chambering 7.62 NATO

My apologies if this topic has been brought up before (or if it is considered a stupid question) but I was curious as to whether or not the vepr .308 is able to chamber and cycle (safely of course) 7.62 NATO (7.62x51).  It was my understanding, after a small amount of research, that nearly any rifle chambered for .308 would be able to safely handle 7.62 NATO.  However, I have received two different answers from two different importer/manufacturers regarding the vepr .308 and I wanted to inquire from those who actually own and/or have shot both types of ammunition through the vepr .308  Thank you for your time.  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.308_Winchester

Although very similar to the military 7.62×51mm NATO specifications, the .308 cartridge is not identical, and there are special considerations that may apply when mixing these cartridges with 7.62×51mm NATO, and .308 Winchester chambered arms.[5] Their interchange is, however, considered safe by the Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers Institute (SAAMI).[6]

For reference it is the opposite of the 5.56/.223 rule. Any gun chambered for .308 will handle the 7.62x51 but you need to verify if a particular 7.62x51 will handle .308 

• Like 1

much appreciated!  

See that's why I thought it was strange when the first importer/manufacturer that I contacted about the vepr 308 said that it could not chamber and cycle 7.62x51 in addition to the .308

I am glad to see that others have confirmed my answer to you. Also, I did not forget about you headspace question. I will make sure to answer that one when our gunsmith comes in.

Alex, you are truly a patient and dedicated businessman.  I appreciate your help! Also, I was not doubting your word at all, I just like to get as much info from as many quality sources as I can before making a decision.  Thanks!

• Like 1

Hi,

Nev here.

I have a .308 ordered and paid for waiting for the FFL transfer to arrive. Hope to contribute some less than idiotic posts!