Oh shit.  I'm sorry to hear that.  I remember being a kid and going over the Cabela's catalogue with my brother during the winter, thinking about all the cool fishing lures we were going to get and all the fish we were going to catch.  Sad to hear.  They still got the fishing tackle, and these days have a decent collection of guns and ammo.  I didn't see them gouge on prices either.  I know they're not perfect but, I've been pretty happy overall.  I hope it doesn't change things too much.

I will never forget the first time I walked into a Cabelas.  It was the one in Sidney NE.

I live in Omaha, and have been to the Sidney store a few times - quite a drive from here.

Cabela's isn't what it used to be. I used to be a regular at the La Vista, NE Cabela's Gun Library. 5 years ago, the guys there were happy, had the freedom to work with people on prices, and it was a decent environment to work in. If something that qualified as "weird shit" came in, like an old French volley gun, they'd give me a call and see if I was interested. The company has been heavily corporatized - with everything that goes along with it. Their ability to work with prices even on used guns is heavily restricted, the pay is worse and never goes up, and the daily ration of shit every employee gets has been tripled. All the knowledgeable, capable, friendly people I knew there, mostly older guys, have long since quit. The last guy to leave was the former president of a small bank, and did it for fun. He has an incredible knowledge of sporting shotguns, and was a great asset to the company. Treating a guy like that as if he were a child is a great way to lose an employee who brought in lots of loyal regulars. Another one of the Gun Librarians was heavily involved in the Nebraska Historical Society, and often worked at Native American archaeological dig sites. He had an encyclopedic knowledge of military firearms - he could glance at a Mosin-Nagant, a P-38, an M1, even an old Springfield trapdoor, and tell you what all the stamps and markings meant.

I used to love Cabela's - but it has strayed far away from the company as it was when it was owned by the family.

• Like 1

That's pretty typical of corporations that try to manage from the top down (just like our Fed). They lose touch with what attracts the customers (besides low prices).

Watching "Undercover Boss" just proves my point. The CEOs can't work the register and realize how disconnected they are from the ground level.

I saw this personally, while in aerospace, working in a small division of a major "player". We built all of Boeing's commercial landing gear and I was an Assembly Mechanic.

When our "old-school" boss got canned, we stopped seeing small things like, free pizza dinners for working 16 hours straight.

If you want to work your people hard, at least offer free food!

I always treated my employees very well, based in my previous experiences.

Edited by Sim_Player
  • Like 1

When our "old-school" boss got canned, we stopped seeing small things like, free pizza dinners for working 16 hours straight.

If you want to work your people hard, at least offer free food!

My company just canned a few mid-level bosses for continuing to do things like that for their workers. I had to sign a document stating that my P-Card was for travel ONLY (I don't even have any employees to buy that stuff for)...

...but, when the big wigs roll into town all bets are off! Limos from the Airport on the company's private Jets!!!

Love it!!

I could rant about corporate double standards all night. My evaluation/raise was postponed 3 months because of payroll restrictions but my district manager just got a 4 day trip to key west with his wife as a quarterly bonus.

I had a shit job once where they postponed a major pay increase by 3 months.

The day my boss finally called me in, I listened to my performance eval. (It was good). When he was finished, I handed him my ID Badge and company cell and walked out the door. ;)

Edited by Sim_Player
  • Like 1

Yeah sure wish I could do that. I've got nothing lined up yet though so I guess I'll keep wearing this stupid fucking red McDonalds-esque polo.

Advance Auto?
ahahahaha how'd you know? I worked for Carquest until December when we were bought out. My store was one of the first 30 or so consolidations. Aaand it sucks.

If it pays your bills, it's a job.

The one I walked away from wasn't paying the bills. We live very modestly.

The raise would have been 20% but, they wanted me to buy a truck and the gas would have cancelled out the raise.

Fucking leaches.

I started a small siding and painting business, with a partner, that went well (for 10 years), until the market crashed.

Edited by Sim_Player

I should have gone oil engineering for more money. Auto engineering is clean, safe, and dry, but pays less.

I have to be in Cinci on Mon AM for meetings. 3 hour drive tomorrow, I can do mileage, but no pay for travel

outside of work hours. Soon you can log travel as part of the "casual hours" which are gay little things that mean

you have to give time to the company before getting extended or overtime.

Wage guys get screwed, but low level salary gets gang raped, no lube.