The cheapest 22 lr ammo listed on Slickguns right now is Eley is $0.36 a round. I cannot believe the run on this stuff. You can get .223 or some 5.56 ammo for about $0.42 a round. They can keep their 22 lr rounds for now.

I can get 5.56 on stripper clips in an ammo can for .45 a round and can reload for around half that, but storing that much ammo and packing that much ammo sucks. As well as I don't have three 5.56 rifles and a pistol like I have in .22.

My children don't like shooting the saiga .223 and cannot hold it up. I have right at 6k rounds of .22lr after giving my father almost 3k at around .05 per round. It sucks! I'm trying to figure out a .223 pistol.

Shooting the .223 in my mind still feels like shooting 5-10x the cost of .22lr though as I am not paying crazy prices.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you are going to panic... do it early.  

Eventually we are all going to have to come to the realization that your not going to get ammo at 10 year ago prices anymore. Welcome to the new norm. Gun powder for consumers will be a thing of the

It's talk like this that starts the panic wheel in motion. Use your head and don't panic. It will drive up the price for all of us. I swear, this country is never going to get used to crisis. It's al

The cheapest 22 lr ammo listed on Slickguns right now is Eley is $0.36 a round.  I cannot believe the run on this stuff.  You can get .223 or some 5.56 ammo for about $0.42 a round.  They can keep their 22 lr rounds for now.

Guess the x39 spree kicked off another round of 22LR buying.

Ammo Seek shows some decent stuff at 0.17/rd but still far too high. Got other things need doing anyway.

Going to be shooting a little 22LR soon as the weather turns, maybe do a some sight-in and then 100m... 

... at a very slow rate of fire.

I dumped my .22lr back before the SH bullshit. I really dont regret it. I never shot it much, and I prolly wouldnt now. Especially with the prices on the shit now its just stupid. I wish you all well in your quest for .22lr. beer.gif

^ Ditto, I had 3- 22lr's, now I'm down to 1 and it is on the chopping block as well.

I personally don't think it is a caliber worth having or making that much fuss over

to get ammo. Hell, I can do just about as much damage with my high power pellet gun and

I don't ever foresee a shortage on pellets.

Edited by SHOTGUN MESSIAH

22 lr has always been my go to round for varmits, so I have always kept plenty on hand. Plus in pinch you can put a lot of food on the table with a 22lr...I never thought there would be shortage like this...If it takes a couple years to come back I still should be just fine. I can wait.

Edited by sccritterkiller

As fast as you can break the barrel, load pellet, close action, and aim.  With a Whisper, you can do it quietly without a NFA stamp!

So under 5 seconds per round easily. May take another look at those then. Doesnt replace a 22 but sounds worthwhile.

22 lr has always been my go to round for varmits, so I have always kept plenty on hand. Plus in pinch you can put a lot of food on the table with a 22lr...I never thought there would be shortage like this...If it takes a couple years to come back I still should be just fine. I can wait.

Ditto.

Got my summer supply laid in already without touching that which must not be touched.

bad_smile.gif

• Like 1

Right on with the pellet gun!  My Gamo Whisper will do about the same damage as a .22 CB short, and pellets are about $10 per 1000.

Have the same air rifle and use it to practice trigger pull and breathing,shooting in the neighborhood. It is very quiet with spring being louder than the report. Put PBA pellets in it and well...you have a .22LR with pellets breaking the sound barrier. Great little rifle.

As fast as you can break the barrel, load pellet, close action, and aim.  With a Whisper, you can do it quietly without a NFA stamp!

So under 5 seconds per round easily. May take another look at those then. Doesnt replace a 22 but sounds worthwhile.

Ditto.

Got my summer supply laid in already without touching that which must not be touched.

bad_smile.gif

I'm expecting a shortage and continued high prices for 22lr as the weather breaks out West and in the North.  More people will then shoot their AK's and AR's raising those prices somewhat as well.  

My guess is I'm going to get real familiar with my new Colt LE6940 5.56 rifle this year.  It has a monorail system.  I went with the Colt rather than the Rock River I was seriously considering.

Ditto.

:bad_smile:

I'm expecting a shortage and continued high prices for 22lr as the weather breaks out West and in the North.  More people will then shoot their AK's and AR's raising those prices somewhat as well.  

My guess is I'm going to get real familiar with my new Colt LE6940 5.56 rifle this year.  It has a monorail system.  I went with the Colt rather than the Rock River I was seriously considering.

The Colt is a better rifle anyway. You did good.

http://www.thebangswitch.com/x39-ammo-update/

"I’ve been spending the last few days with the guys at Wolf shooting guns, eating good food and shooting video.  As you know, I reported a few days ago that Wolf assured me that there were no signs of problems with the flow of guns or ammo out of Russia due to the turmoil in Ukraine and Crimea. Our friends fromTheFirearmsBlog are here with me and were given the same assurances from the Wolf representatives yesterday afternoon.

The situation in Russia is dynamic and no one can predict the future. However, Wolf received information this morning that their current shipments from Russia may be delayed, including those currently on the water headed to the U.S.

The flow of products out of Russia goes through Ukraine where it is loaded onto ships and sent west to ports in the U.S. Wolf does not currently know the status of those shipments. As of right now the government of Russia has not moved to stop shipments of firearms or ammo to the U.S. What’s taking place at various ports along the path to the U.S. is another matter and why Wolf is now saying shipments of firearms and ammo “may be delayed”.

As the situation develops I will keep you informed."

Im not sure there is a right or wrong way to take it.

If they buy ammo now they are not paying any more than they would have a month ago. If one waits who knows. 

Hell how long have we known its best to be stocked up now? Five or six years?