The explanation is that they are a VERY sort wheel base vehicle, very narrow, have a solid motor (though under powered) and do have some nice aftermarket support (shorter and narrower than a Jeep... their aftermarket support is shit though in comparison).

My TJ has an 8' wheel base... I think Samurai's are closer to 7'. I think they're also about 8" narrower than a TJ. That means something if you're trying to get through ATV trails like you find here in the midwest... For rock crawling Montana style I'm not sure what the advantage is. I'd actually like a longer wheel base for crawling as long as the tires were past the bumpers on both ends.

Now... That said, my TJ has vastly superior suspension technology (4 link coils. vs leafs), a GOOD soft top (Samurai softops are total shit with loads of snaps and BS), close to 100hp advantage over a Samurai, and if you're over 6' tall are insanely uncomfortable (I couldn't drive a CJ-5 either).

Soooo... Yeah.. I'm turning this into a TJ vs. Samurai thread because I think if you follow money and logic you'll land on TJ every time. It's the Fox Mustang of 4x4s... It does everything pretty damn well and is just as affordable.

sarcasm doesnt work in the form of text most of the time online. i should have learned that by now. :)

they guys around here that operate them chose the little truck because of it's size, cost and durability. you can buy a cheap used suckzuki and beat the ever loving shit out of it in the tight mountain logging roads and forests. they perform much better as far as combustion goes than many other vehicles. when you bash into a tree, you don't feel bad about it, you only paid a few grand for it. they rarely break down and out of the box can take a beating like a landcruiser. they have a metric shit ton of parts for cheap and lost of aftermarket support. easy to fix in your garage with simple tools.

then, the owner of such vehicle has to get over their pride factor and realize they have a functional off road stock vehicle that looks like shit and wont get you laid.

The explanation is that they are a VERY sort wheel base vehicle, very narrow, have a solid motor (though under powered) and do have some nice aftermarket support (shorter and narrower than a Jeep... their aftermarket support is shit though in comparison).

My TJ has an 8' wheel base... I think Samurai's are closer to 7'. I think they're also about 8" narrower than a TJ. That means something if you're trying to get through ATV trails like you find here in the midwest... For rock crawling Montana style I'm not sure what the advantage is. I'd actually like a longer wheel base for crawling as long as the tires were past the bumpers on both ends.

Now... That said, my TJ has vastly superior suspension technology (4 link coils. vs leafs), a GOOD soft top (Samurai softops are total shit with loads of snaps and BS), close to 100hp advantage over a Samurai, and if you're over 6' tall are insanely uncomfortable (I couldn't drive a CJ-5 either).

Soooo... Yeah.. I'm turning this into a TJ vs. Samurai thread because I think if you follow money and logic you'll land on TJ every time. It's the Fox Mustang of 4x4cs... It does everything pretty damn well and is just as affordable.

Here we go...  To say that coils are vastly superior is BS.  You may wheel montana style, but I've wheeled CA (and CO) style and I'll go out on a limb here saying that CA is way more well known for wheeling than Mt.

I've also managed and fabricated at a successful custom off road shop for years.  I've walked right up steep hills with my "inferior" leaf sprung YJ while my friend was trying to kill himself in his TJ on the same hill because his coils were squatting and the TJ wanted to fall over backward.  I've done countless solid axle swaps and full suspension and roll cage builds on Yota's and Jeeps that are out wheeling the hardest trails Colorado, Utah, New Mexico, and California have to offer.

I've wheeled with Sammi's and they wheel pretty damn good.  On road, they kinda suck with no power.

I'll keep this simple...  Get a Jeep.  YJ TJ whatever.  Or...  Since you are familiar with them, go for and 80's vintage Yota.  They can also be had for a song and the 22re is a great motor.

Edited by Big John!

Drove one a few times in Saudi as part of the rental cars we got and going to go along with Big John on the part about off road not too bad, going down the road no power to speak of. Not a vehicle of choice for Suicide Circle in Riyadh. I’d go with something with more street ability and long term part availability as a primary drive and save something like the Samurai for a weekender.

I owned a 1.6L swapped Sammi with a homemade spring over and 2 speed T-case. Slow as piss even with the DOHC EFI motor haha.  I tell you though, it would fit down trails no other Jeep could and good luck high siding it.

I wish I still owned it though as I'd be swapping in a VW TDI motor or a mild 4G63 turbo.

Edited by WhiskeyMinion