Weight of a 1000 round case of 7.62x39?

I need the shipping weight of a case of 7.62x39.  If your bathroom scale doesn't measure that low how about stepping on it with a case in hand and subtract your weight.  I don't need scientific data, give or take a pound or two and call it good... 

Back-story:  The average price for anything marked x39 at the LGS in Anchorage is around $380.  No, we can't ship ammo up here so to get the cheapest price it's best to order it online, have it shipped to family in the lower 48, and pick it up when flying back home.  Most airlines charge a $25 fee for baggage under 50lbs.  I'm taking a trip soon so I better get an order in.  I'm wondering how many I can take back on my flight for $25? 

I appreciate the help!  I'm just getting into my first x39.  I don't even have the firearm yet so I really don't have anything to go off of.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!

Nope, your help is much appreciated!  I just need to get crafty.  Which means pack less clothes and divvy up the second case between luggage.  Quiet possibly with all the flying the family plans on taking this summer I may just be able to stock up on 5 cases or so.  Crossing fingers and planning ahead...

Edited:  How about I ship my clothes home and bring back 2 1/2 cases in my luggage?  The thought makes me chuckle and SMFH.

Edited by HighPlainsDrifter

those LGS have to get their ammo somehow, I doubt they  have their employees going throughout  the lower 47  and bringing it back as checked baggage.

there seems to be a lot of state gun forums on the net, have you looked to see if Alaska has one and search how folks get their ammo? that is what I would do

now,  I'm just spit balling here, but if UPS and the other carriers don't use ground only to delivery to Alaska, then they probably use a trucking service. having the ammo delivered to them, then it's trucked  forwarded to Alaska . which could explain the higher price there,

Edited by Matthew Hopkins

Airlines typically have a weight limit of 7 pounds 11 pounds of ammunition. There might be exceptions - both Southwest and United have that rule.

Edited by Shandlanos

Airlines typically have a weight limit of 7 pounds of ammunition.

If that's the case, that'll throw a monkey wrench in Drifters plans!

Yes, most airlines have a limit weight of 11 lbs.  Fortunately Alaska Airlines limit is 50lbs.  The twist for me is I have a connecting flight operated by a regional carrier under the name of Alaska Airlines.  It seems that their limit is 11 lbs as well.  I need to follow through with a phone call and possibly raise some hell at the counter.  All this for a measly case of ammo...

No ammo is trucked to Alaska.  It is all shipped in bulk by barge.  The cheapest way to get ammo up here is to have someone drive it.  Canada allows a limit of 5000 rounds when passing through. 

Stockpiling doesn't look good for me.  At $380 a case it's just not in the cards.

• Like 1

Might be worth getting into a .223 Saiga? 28lbs/1k vs. nearly 40lbs/k... Still not enough weight savings to help you out, but... well... who the hell am I kidding, I'm just projecting my current urge for a .223 Saiga onto you. Disregard this...