They were my hero's growing up, man I couldn't wait for the Wide World of Sports every weekend.

The diesel chase truck made more smoke and noise than the rail did, pretty cool horror.gif

Thanks Yak!

• Like 2

Great to see Garlits still out there tearin' up the track!

I'll miss the screaming big blocks, but the electric is very cool too.

I also grew up watching these guys......

"Sunday...Sunday...Sunday... US 30 Dragstrip... where the great ones run...run...run...!!!!

Edited by Spartacus
  • Like 2

Long ago and far away. Lion's Drag Strip, Long Beach California. Big Daddy was a Florida boy brought out West. A pit pass was yellow and cost a whopping 50 cents, a lot of money for a young kid. Big Daddy tossed my girlfriend a spark plug out of his "Swamp Rat" Dodge 392 inch hemi AA blown fuel dragster. It was still hot. The electrode was half gone. Those were the days my friend, we thought they would never end. HB of CJ (old coot)

Added; I forgot to mention the smarting eye watering hard smell of the burning nitro exhaust. The pure white flames from each individual header roaring down the track. The absolutely incredible NOISE of it all. Watching the crew mix up the nitro fuel. It came in 5 gallon shiny steel cans. Watch him suit up. The match races between "Dyno" Don Garlits and "The Snake" Prodoune (sp) Our ears would ring for hours. So cool.

The stands ran very close to the track all the way down to the finish line. So many things were so dangerous but we did not know it at the time. We were just kids having the time of our life. I remember hot dogs were 25 cents and a coke cost 10 cents. Amazing how you remember stuff like that. The Little Red Wagon. Hemi under glass. Wow!! Thank you for letting me remember and sharing this stuff. smile.png

Edited by HB of CJ
  • Like 7

Yep. Different times that's for sure. Can't forget the funny cars. Dad would take my brother and I to the drag stip after church.

Edited by yakdung
  • Like 4

when I was a kid, I worked around the neighborhood cutting grass, washing cars , etc... to earn some money so I could buy "big daddy" Roth models, over time I bought all the neighborhood model store had. then went on to the monster models; Godzilla, Frankenstein, Herman Munster, grandpa's dragster etc... 

Rat_Fink_Bad_Bug_by_BiLLManz.jpg

Edited by Matthew Hopkins
  • Like 6

I grew up around the race tracks in St Louis (mid 70's-mid 80's). Don Garlits , Tom Hoover (and his dad), and Gene Snow were some of the most approachable guys a teenage kid could ever meet. A few of you might remember at one time he ran a transverse engine dragster which back in the day was the equivalent to todays electrics.  Three years ago the kid next door joined the Navy and ended up on a carrier so in one of his deployment packages I sent him a promotional I had from back in the day the the "Fly Navy" theme and Garlits dragster set up on the deck. Hard to see these guys getting older, makes me glad I grew up in America during that era. A+ for the post, brings back great memories.

• Like 4

Here's a great historical video on US 30 Dragstrip.

I think I saw a glimpse of an early Garlits car.

For whatever reason the share link is not working.

The Youtube title is "Remembering U.S.30.wmv".

Edited by Spartacus

yeah that's OK, but one dragster looked  the same as the next. now, a DRAG-U-LA, well, that was in a class all by itself 027.gif

BTW, if you never heard the lyrics to THE MUNSTERS theme song, it's on there

yep, and I bought that model. just wish I still had it

grandpa-munsters-dragula-car-1-25-amt-33

Edited by Matthew Hopkins
  • Like 2