"Ivan The Terrible", first time out since conversion.

Took my newly converted S12 to the gun club this morning to kill some bowling pins. I was a bit anxious because in back yard try out, had a few FTEs using lower power cheapo shells.

Took it to the club with a box of high brass shells and ran successful 25 out of 25. I'll worry about the lower power FTEs later. Maybe it will get better as it's broken in, or adjusting the Auto Plug or if nothing else, re-profile the new hammer. I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning.

Dasvidaniya

• Like 2

Cool, I'm glad you had good results! My advice, if you are uncomfortable working on the FCG, is to send your FCG to Cobra for a trigger job. I had him do one for me years ago and I am very happy with his work. He reprofiled and polished the hammer, smoothed out the trigger components giving a very smooth trigger pull with a smooth break and reset, and added an over travel limiter. For people kinda new to the platform that are not comfortable messing with the internal parts, this is a very good option. Besides the performance improvements in cycling, Cobras trigger work makes shooting the gun much more enjoyable. Whatever you do have fun with the S12.

The ammo that is giving me trouble since my conversion is Federal Target Load. 1 oz. shot, #8 shot, 2 3/4", 3 dram EQ. F112 (whatever that is).

As I said, the Federal Hi brass I was shooting at the bowling pins was #4 shot. They ran 25 for 25 no failures. When I get back from vacation I will look into some polishing and possibly profiling.

On which gas setting?

I have a TAC 47 Auto Plug. I took it apart tonight and put it in a baggie with Hoppes bore cleaner and Letting it soak over night. I'm going to get some emery

cloth  tomorrow and polish the rails. I also may smooth out the hammer. It ran fine as it was (even with the CSS performance puck in backward) on hi brass rounds. I think it just needs a little TLC. The Auto Plug was pretty dirty too.

Since my bolt and carrier have had the Pauly glass bolt polish, if I can't get it running, I think I'll send my trigger & hammer to Cobra. I want to take a shot at it myself first. I have a lighter recoil spring, but I'd rather not use it unless I have to.

I man name for a gun? Weak

Works for me.

I Can't remember from your other threads whether you have checked your ports for obstructions or not, how many you have, and whether they are covered or not. I'd look at that, including cleaning up any burrs on the moving parts, and work on cleaning it all up, then try again before making too many modifications

I have already been down the road with the gas ports. When the gun was new it wouldn't hardly run at all. I finally took it down to the gas block. I have a 4 hole gun. I checked all 4 ports and verified they were clean and the right size. One or 2 holes were partially covered. I used a dremel and was able to unshroud them. Put it all back together and it ran much better. I added a TAC 47 Auto Plug and a CSS performance puck. I also sent my bolt & carrier to Pauly for a glass bolt polish. With all this, the gun was pretty reliable and would eat both hi and lo brass. I didn't have any more problems until I converted. It still runs hi brass fine but doesn't seem to like the lower power stuff-stovepipes.

I have been conversing with Shannon at Cobra. He is suggesting I send him my bolt & carrier, hammer and trigger group and he will tune them all together.

I am seriously considering this.

I am also working on polishing my rails.

Edited by goldenpony

If you can polish your rails you could do your own fcg. Just clean things up and make sure nothing from your conversion is loose or otherwise altered what worked well before the conversion. Start from the top and work your way down. You've diy this far why stop now.