Vepr 12 Upgrades

About to go pick up my new Vepr 12 from my FFL. Just wanted to ask about upgrades and what you all reccomend.

First off, the sights:

What are my options as far as setting it up with a ghost ring sight? I know there are several options like Krebs or Mojo to replace the rear sight with an apature sight. But, what would you recommend as far as mounting a ghost ring sight on the back of the rail on the reciever? Is it possible to line up with the front sight?

Trigger:

Arsenal 2-stage, Texas Trigger, or Upgrade? Basically an AK fire control group I believe. Anybody know if its double hook or single hook?

Muzzle Attachments: Would like to get a muzzle brake for it. I especially like the Russian Made ones that are rectangular or the muzzle brake that looks like a muzzle brake for a artillery gun. Can't remember the name of it but it negates the recoil a lot and is round with huge ports on it. Should I try to find an original Russian Brake or are the US copies good quality? Also, as far as chokes, im debating between the SGM fixed chokes and a Polychoke. Probably going to mostly using slugs and plinking with it and maybe some trap/skeet. The most open choke SGM sells is modified. That maybe all I need. Do I need a choke for best performence with brennake slugs? I see also SGM has a choke option that has threads on it to attach a muzzle brake with the choke on? Im kind of on the fence about a Polychoke since I never have been a fan of them. So, I might opt for a fixed choke attachment(s). But, I don't know if I need a full choke. I see they also sell Russian made chokes?

Stock:

Got the folding stock model. What will interchange? Is it possible to put one of those nice thumbhole wood stocks that Molot uses for their VEPR rifles? What about the handguards? I saw earlier on that there was a VEPR shotgun model offered with the wood thumbhole stock. I also looked into putting a AR style stock on it, but many say the adapter is expensive. So, if not I might leave this as is and leave the weld on the folding stock.

OP-Rod/Spring/Gas Puck

I see theres a smoother op-rod to upgrade the VEPR with. As well as op rod springs and gas pucks. Any of these worth it to make the gun smoother. Im concerned about the "Self-Regulating" gas system over-gassing the gun.

Thanks-

Edited by asdaven

Theres an ar stock adapter for sale here for like $197 so yeah they are costly. And you do realize that if you run a coke and that giant brake you'll end up with like a 26" barrel?

IMO the trigger is fine I was able to put my first three slugs in a clover leaf at 50 yards standing pull it like a rifle. You don't really need a nice 2 stage trigger on a shotgun.

You can't pull a wood stock on it, wood handguards but not a stock.

If I were you I would buy a shit ton of ammo and magazines shot the he'll out of it then decide what all you need. The recoil isn't that bad, but I enjoy shotguns so I maybe biased. I know it's kicks less with 3" than my coach gun with Bird shot.

Got it last night. The deactivating folding stock is fine. I think ill leave it....its pretty cool. My only gripe is the check rest. I wish I could get it to hold the check rest farther back against the spring loaded plunger as I really have to shove it into my shoulder to get it to work and lined up with my check.

Really the sights are the first thing im gonna modify, mainly just the rear. I want a ghost ring setup. I either have the option of replacing the rear sight leaf or I can add a ghost ring on the back of the reciever rail, which id prefer. But looking at it, the front sight post might not be high enough or have another adjustment to line up with a rail mounted sight.

For the muzzle brake and chokes, maybe ill just run one or the other. Too bad they dont make a special shotgun muzzle brake threaded for chokes.But the barrel is only 19" I dont mind extending some. My 870 barrel is like 28".

And have any of you upgraded the bolt guide rod, recoil spring, or gas puck? Any of these upgrades worth while?

As for the trigger. Trigger pull seems to be fine. Only concern is if this trigger is going to have trigger slap. Any experiences here?

I just picked mine up yesterday as well..  The folding stock is great (restored to normal operation), in fact everything is pretty darned good!  The pistol grip is a nice shape and size, but as little slick for me.  I'm a Magpul MOE fanboi, so I may just do the MOE AK grip.  I'm going to try the Hogue today and see how I feel about it.  Other than that, it needs a muzzle brake..  The smallest, roundest, normal looking and possibly effecetive one I can find is this one..  http://www.cncwarrior.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=26161, so I ordered it last night.  I'm looking forward to a range trip tomorrow...

Edited by Kokopelli

I wouldn't mind one of those short chokes and that black squarish muzzle brakes. Where do you get the original Molot attachments? Kind of would be cool to have them. I know SGM makes chokes and theres also US knockoffs of those Russian brakes. But, I don't know what the difference in price point is. Im also looking at brakes like Kokopelli mentioned. However, those square brakes are just so unique looking.

Anybody have any ideas for rail mounted rear ghost ring sights for the VEPR? Or should I get a Krebs or Mojo to replace the factory rear sight leaf? Kind of would like to extend the sight radius and have something rail mounted in the rear, but if this can't easily be done to work with the factory front sight, I ll settle for changing out the leaf. I don't want to spend money on a red dot but would rather have something with quicker sight aquisition. I wonder if they make an H&K style rear sight thats rail mounted. OR what about the flip up sights they make for ARs?

The VEPR 12 is a pretty sweet shotgun. Just have a couple small minor concerns. I tried to take it apart today and field stripped it just to check everything out. It looked good but I probably spend the better part of a half hour trying to put the bolt and bolt carrier back in. I found to get it back in I first had to get everything aligned but then id push it forward and it would seem fine then stopped and turns out it was down in the guide rails and the hammer was keeping the bolt carrier from being pushed down into the guide rails. So, I found when I start the assembly into the reciever I have to push down on it while im going forward precisely at the right point to get it down there. The bolt also seems really sticky when it goes over the hammer and also when it engages the lugs to lock into the reciever. If I pull it all the way back and let it go home its fine. But, if I pull it halfway back and let it go it stops where it starts to lock into battery and I have to hit it with my palm to fully close it. Hope this won't cause a problem. Also, I found with these it is impossible for some reason to close the bolt on a empty magazine. Dosent really matter I guess but I thought it was the gun malfunctioning but I guess the last round bolt holdopen depends on the mags. And I guess im used to a normal AK without that. But the stickiness I hope is the gun just needs to be broken in I guess. Maybe remove the factory oil and use a better quality gun lubricant. Most AKs ive handled, the bolt sticks when the bolt passes over the hammer when cycling it. But, when fired it dosen't ever cause a problem. The stickiness on the VEPR 12 is a little more but that could be because the finish on the hammer. The resistance when the lugs lock up is my greater concern. But its problem not a problem when I goto fire the gun, just bothers me cycling by hand I guess.

Thanks-

I just cleaned and lubed my new one and will hit the range tomorrow.  I'm kind-a old school about metal machines and like to run them wet.  I wouldn't worry about stickness/tightness until after running a few hundred rounds through it (wet).  I ordered the 26161 Saiga/VEPR 12 Short Firestorm Brake from cncwarrior as it doesn't look too gaudy and the reports on recoil/muzzle rise reduction are pretty good.  I normally like shotguns choked down, so I suspect I'll add a choke later.  I would prefer an internal choke to avoid the length issue, but we got what we got.  I have a pretty good selection of different loads to try asnd will report back what it likes and doesn't like..

I'll be doing the same with a new Mossberg 930 JM Pro 24".. 

Yeah. I don't have the most expansive experience with shotguns, especially on the issue of chokes. I do informal trap/skeet shooting from time to time, plinking with shotguns, and using it like a rifle with slug rounds at the rifle range. I just saw the VEPR 12 and decided I wanted a AK style shotgun. Plus its the only thing left in my state AK wise thats still legal to buy. All the rifles are banned and I wanted another AK in a different caliber other than 7.62x39. Well  I got a 12 gauge haha. But, Ive never used a full choke on my Rem 870. Just the choke that came with shotgun stock and a "skeet choke." Im debating whether to buy the full set or just get a Modified choke. With slug rounds, I don't know if your supposed to choke it down some. Remington says a "Improved Cylinder" choke is best. But, thats not offered for our shotguns. Just modified, full, and extra full. Obviously, you don't want too tight of choke for slugs. But, I wonder if the open barrel without a choke at all would affect slug accuracy? Personally I don't mind adding length to the barrel, since im used to longer barreled guns and its only 19" long. To each is own I guess. But, the externally threaded chokes do have the advantage of easily being changed out and don't require a choke wrench like a Rem 870. Im excited to shoot this thing. Supposidly these will cycle everything, which is why I bought it. Even some Rem 1100's don't cycle the lighter loads. And if it has trouble, ill tinker with it until it does. Most defects or problems from the factory with a lot of firearms are the result of minor and very often easily fixable defects. But probably cycling a mess of rounds will open her up. Might not cycle the light loads new but after some use ,it will.

I wouldn't mind one of those short chokes and that black squarish muzzle brakes. Where do you get the original Molot attachments? Kind of would be cool to have them. I know SGM makes chokes and theres also US knockoffs of those Russian brakes. But, I don't know what the difference in price point is. Im also looking at brakes like Kokopelli mentioned. However, those square brakes are just so unique looking.

Keep an eye on Legion for the russian chokes, they're out of stock but they are the only one I've seen carry them

http://legionusainc.com/threaded-12-gauge-choke.html

Anybody have any ideas for rail mounted rear ghost ring sights for the VEPR? 

I'm waiting to see when the LPA BAR11WD4 comes in stock to see if it's low enough to work with the front sight.  PSI said sometime this month, and midway is expecting them 6-21.  A little pricey, but I like the adjustability so I really hope it works

Another option I'm considering is the XS ghost ring, but it might interfere with the dust cover release.

New england custom gun makes a really low adjustable peep, or the keltec su-16 sight 

(edited for link removal, thought I was on a different forum)

Edited by hdskumm

WELL I'M SOMEWHAT DAZED! The new Mossberg 930 ran like a Benelli! I've never handled a shotgun that shot any smoother. The action is so light that I'm afraid to shoot heavy loads in it. It ran Winchester AA low noise, low recoil targets loads, standard bird loads, target/clay loads, low-recoil LE loads.. anything I tried. I ran probably 150 rounds through it and the only hiccup was a sticky magazine follower. The safety feels goos and works fine. I'm terribly impressed at this point.

The VEPR on the other hand is going to take some break-in and possibly heavier loads. It had improved greatly by the end of the day (+150 rounds) but still needs work. The feel and ergonomics are great, but it feels like it needs more gas. We'll see...

Vepr 12 is not made to run sissy bird loads regardless if it can be made to or not. It's a combat shotgun. Buckshot and slugs you will not have any issue running out of the box. Mine runs then fine. Not all are the same.

Vepr 12 is not made to run sissy bird loads regardless if it can be made to or not. It's a combat shotgun. Buckshot and slugs you will not have any issue running out of the box. Mine runs then fine. Not all are the same.

Buckshot was used in the VEPR, I have no use for slugs..  I know what the VEPR is ;)

No use for slugs? WTF. The vepr is the perfect platform for slugs.

Don't need them..  I have carbines..

Between your scared to shoot heavy loads in mossberg & no use for slugs comments, your vepr 12 has just lost all respect for you.

well..  nevermind.. ..  hahahaha

Edited by Kokopelli
  • Like 1

What you don't know about me is making you look really really bad.. hahahaha

Very mysterious, guess I'll have to look into that so I don't look bad :rolleyes:

So you gotta be some kinda badass then, right? :batman:

What a fool I am, sorry kokopelli. Comment about your comment retracted.

Listen up everyone, this IS KOKOPELLI!!!!! What you don't know about him can make you look REALLY REALLY BAD HAHA.....ha. So watch it. You have all been warned

Between your scared to shoot heavy loads in mossberg & no use for slugs comments, your vepr 12 has just lost all respect for you.

Ahhh, don't change it, I liked it how you had it

What you don't know about me is making you look really really bad.. hahahaha

Very mysterious, guess I'll have to look into that so I don't look bad rolleyes.gif

So you gotta be some kinda badass then, right? 004.gif

What a fool I am, sorry kokopelli. Comment about your comment retracted.

Listen up everyone, this IS KOKOPELLI!!!!! What you don't know about him can make you look REALLY REALLY BAD HAHA.....ha. So watch it. You have all been warned

Ahhh, don't change it, I liked it how you had it

Sorry..  You are the one talking like a shotgun combat veteran.  If that's the case, thanks for your service..  Otherwise..  well there ya go..