New to the forum, New to the Saiga--Conversion to come!

Hey guys,

Just joined up because I have my first Saiga en route. I was looking for a fun gun for plinking with affordable (and easy to find) ammo. The SKS never really did much for me, so I started looking into AKs. I quickly realized that the market has seriously boosted the price of any quality rifles, so I looked into the saigas. I found one for what I think is a pretty decent price at $470, and ordered a CSS conversion kit w/o a stock. The rifle should arrive on friday, and the kit shouldn't take too long either. For the stock I plan on using the RDAK M4 stock adapter with a magpul moe fixed carbine stock. I'll admit, I saw it on a rifle on here and decided to borrow the idea. I'll probably keep the stock handguard for a while until I can find something I like for the rifle. I'm not a fan of big railed cheese grater handguards, and it seems like the Tapco intrafuse is one of the more common options. 

I'm really excited to start this project, I've built plenty of ARs and feel like I owe it to my gun collection to have some russian steel in the safe! I'll Keep this post updated as I work through the conversion!

The Saiga is a very high quality rifle, it just doesn't look like it. It's my go-to, over an SGL-21.

You'll love doing the conversion, and you will absolutely LOVE the RDAK/MOE combo... I haven't used a better-feeling setup on an AK yet. For handguards, the factory one is honestly fine, but you could also get a Midwest Industries KeyMod or SS handguard. They don't have cheese graters, and don't require handguard retainers for installation, so that may be an option. They're also very lightweight. Good luck!

Edited by Inebriated

Thanks for the encouragement. Some of my ARs are put together like legos, but there are also some that I have done specific gunsmithing operations to like lapping the upper receiver, and custom reaming my chamber, but there is no doubt that I am more proud of the ones I put more sweat into (especially when they produce .3s and .4s 032.gif ). I definitely can't wait to start this project though! I get to pick up the rifle tomorrow from my FFL, so I may take it out shooting while I wait for the kit to show up. 

Can you suggest any good threads or instructions/ resources for the process of moving the sight? I'd like to do that a little farther down the road.

If your sight had dimples on it you have to drill then out and pound it off if it's got kind pound the pins out and the pound the sight off. Id also pound the gas block off. There's a lot of hammering on aks. Get a good vise with wood or v block. I would then find a one piece lower handguard retainer and file the flat spot on the barrel for it to lock on. Then modify an ak upper had tube. I used a Romanian gas tube on my 308.

If you have a press you can avoid a lot of hammering.

I'm also perrty sure you can get a threaded front sight with cleaning rod holder and gas block with bayonet lug.

Thanks for the info guys. I have spent my 3rd shift overtime tonight researching the install of the 74 bulgy fsb vs threading the muzzle. I'll have to wait to see the rifle tomorrow to help in my decision, but I think I'm leaning more towards threading the barrel. If I decide I want to install a standard AK handguard, I'll likely go with a clamp-on deal. The cleaning rod isn't a high priority for me, because I'll probably just keep a boresnake in the grip for the field, and do the deep cleaning at home. 

I do already have the HF shop press, so that's a bonus. should I need it!

I second the 74 FSB. It just looks better, IMHO. My saiga FSB was pinned, which made removal and install easy as pie. Knock out pins on Saiga FSB, pound off FSB. Slip on bulgy 74 FSB and mallet it into place getting it lined up. The factory pin holes will match up perfect, and you just hammer the pins back in. Then you can put on just about any muzzle brake or flash hider you want.

• Like 1

I must say that 90 degree GB's look much better with the '74 FSB. But there is something to be said of the AKM pattern GB's that look sexy with the old school slant muzzle device and wood furniture.

• Like 1

Well guys, I picked up my rifle today and got home just in time to receive my package from CSS. In my travels today I also picked up a tapco 30rd mag. I dove right into the conversion. Everything went smoothly, and my only main observation was that the spring for the BHO is a pain in the A**! After that, I worked on modifying the mag catch. I filed it down just enough with no wobble. Finally I installed the bullet guide. All in all it went smoothly. 

Next up is installing the RDAK M4 adapter and hogue forearm with a clamp style lower forearm retainer. I'll also need a new gas tube for the standard upper handguard retainer.. Any suggestions?

I was also pleased to see that my FSB is pinned on so once I find a decently prices '74 FSB, I'll be doing that conversion.

Heres some pics of how she looks so far:

1BDA7B9D-520E-4396-9F34-FD6CE654F331.jpg

Damn dude, you did dive right in! Looks good. Well, it will once you get a proper stock on there :D.

I never could get my hands on a gas tube with retainers, so I just went with a Midwest industries handguard at first (which doesn't require retainers), and later ended up with the Ultimak and a Russian polymer lower handguard. Just some alternative options.

And K-Var has '74 FSB's in stock now for $88.

Yeah I might end up going with the ultimak. Until then I'll probably just rock the hogue lower handguard by itself. $88 seems pretty steep on a FSB. I'm surprised a company hasn't found a way to economically make them in the USA.

Thinking about making the front sight unless you mill from billet you'd have to have presses and forge them. Either way there's no way an American company could sell them for less than that without selling a blue million of them.

Hell a lower handguard retainer made in America is 50 bucks and it's super simple

Nice work man! You really did dive right into it. Sometimes that is the best way. I just finished a conversion that I started on before Christmas. Had the parts....the time to work on it is a different story.

You can get FSB's for around $50 to $60, you just have to look around on the net. Most of them are used in good condition, but I park and paint all my conversions so that is not a big deal. Or if you think you might be converting more Saiga's, then investing in the barrel cutting tools may be worth it.

If I could find one for $50, I'd be good with that. I'll be cerakoting this after I got it how I want it so I'm not real concerned about how the finish is on parts. I may 86 the idea for the gas tube and run an ultimak on top.

Yeah I like it, its made by vulcan or something like that. It was the only one Brownells carried. It didn't even require pressing over the barrel for installation. There was a slight fitment issue with the hogue handguard where the top of the "U" shaped metal in the HG was too short so it would be able to be pushed up closer to the handguard leaving a gap at the rounded bottom of the retainer. I made some small spacers to take up the extra space and it locks up super solid now. I really like the hogue handguard.