Pawn Shop Saigas

A pawn shop near me has a couple of used Saigas for sale. Both caught my attention as I was browsing for a revolver this weekend. Now I want one but I can't decide which.

There's a 20" barrel 7.62 with 2 mags for $249. I am thinking that I could make a sweet RPK clone with a bipod and wood stocks for that bad boy.

There's also a 16" .223 with 1 mag for $249. I'm not sure if this one seems as good of a deal.

So, do you think I should go for either one as priced or try to talk them down? And what would be a good way of checking on the condition of the gun? Other than checking out bore/muzzle/crown wear?

Thanks! B)

Buy them both if possible. I'm sure that will be the common answer. I would buy the .223 if it was me, but I already have a 7.62x39. That pawn shop is not anywhere near north Mississippi is it? There is a shortage on 7.62x39 ammo right now. That is a good price for either one right now. They will both be worth a little less if the new imported rifles ever hit the stores, but who knows for sure what is really going on with them.

The 7.62 is worth it, about what I paid for mine new with extra mag added.

The .223 is worth it as well. I paid $269 or $279 for mine new.

Given that there aren't any around and the new ones will be ~$300ish, I'd say get one...or both!

.223's in general depreciate faster because they are a higher pressure round. (faster bore erotion)

Keep in mind most people don't shoot their guns enough for this to be a problem...

where is this pawnshop? i would like that 223 . always been looking for a semi in 223.

rangerruck,

It's in Northeast GA, the place is called Forsyth County Pawn.

I bought my first Saiga from them about a year or so ago, a new .308, for $300 out the door after taxes and with a box of ammo. I'm hitting myself now for selling it. :ded:

I'm going to wait to get my tax return and try and buy a new Saiga once they're back in stock so go ahead if you want to pick one up now for a good deal!

There is a .223 Saiga on Gunbroker RIGHT NOW... for like $245.00 with 3 days left!!!

GREAT PRICE!!!

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=43123025

Good luck fellas!

:smoke:

Seems like there's several Saigas of all sorts burbling up there just recently......... Maybe folks are trying to unload some before new ones hit our hot little trigger fingers and their investments diminish. But THAT price is tempting. :up:

hell yeah, considering I *JUST* bought one two days ago for $260.00 plus $15.00 for shipping... heres one NOW for 15 bucks LESS!!! go figure!!

Still... that was the going rate for these about a year ago... so it IS a very FAIR price still!!!

If I didnt have two, I would snag it up!!!

hell yeah, considering I *JUST* bought one two days ago for $260.00 plus $15.00 for shipping... heres one NOW for 15 bucks LESS!!! go figure!!

Still... that was the going rate for these about a year ago... so it IS a very FAIR price still!!!

If I didnt have two, I would snag it up!!!

Unfortunately there are still three and a half days left on it and there are already a couple of bidders. Will be interesting to see what the final price really winds up.

Suprisingly mine was the same way... several bidders, all bid it up to $245 from like I dunno whatever the start bid was.. a buck, or 200, or something low...

Yet, I put the bid on it the DAY IT ENDED... and no one outbid me at all.. fortunately GB has the 15 minute rule... so you cant have a bid sniper fuck ya over... :up:

If you are unable to get both (if in great condition) I'd opt for the 223. Russian 223 seems in good supply while the Russian 7.62x39 is hard to come by for some reason. Plenty of Winchester 7.62 around but a 10 to 12 bucks a box you'll need to be Bill Gates to do much shooting.

• 2 weeks later...
If you are unable to get both (if in great condition) I'd opt for the 223. Russian 223 seems in good supply while the Russian 7.62x39 is hard to come by for some reason. Plenty of Winchester 7.62 around but a 10 to 12 bucks a box you'll need to be Bill Gates to do much shooting.

sorry folks, i picked up that 223 had it sent to me, perfect condition, they did the whole thing tax shipping, etc. for 250! now i will get the 762.39!