And the Next "Revolutionary" Bullet Design...

Energy = mass x velocity. Seems like removing the mass (all those pretty holes) would reduce energy. You would gain a short burst of velocity with the same energy (the powder charge) but it would slow quicker and hit a lot less harder.

Seems like cnc machining bullets is all the rage:

http://blog.rtba.co/3-reasons-dont-need-latest-g2-research-rip-cartridge/

Kinetic energy actually is mass times velocity squared (ek=mv2), so while a loss of mass will have a negative effect on the projectile's energy proportional to its magnitude, an increase in velocity will have a positive effect proportional to its magnitude squared.  Your equation is for momentum (p=mv, where "p" is momentum), which is more likely to play a part in determining the bullet's maximum range.

Bullets have been working fine for 100s of years.....when will they learn.

Bullet designs have been advancing for hundreds of years. Not every step has been a step forward, but thanks to the proliferation of precision manufacturing technologies, more innovations can be made. Unfortunately, some new designs, like that bonesaw bullet that made the rounds on the web recently, are obviously not steps in the right direction, and manufacturers with limited budgets still have to try to offset their R&D investment by marketing their mooncalf products using hype-tastic advertising.

This design does look like exactly that kind of nonsense. Actually, the first thing I thought of was an old Simpsons episode:

96mgk5.jpg

Sort of ironic, really.

"Speed holes" used to be actual real tech. In the post WWII era, people took the aviation ideas and applied them to modified cars and motorcycles. One of those was that you could drill holes into overly heavy parts, particularly webbing and gussets and take weight out without sacrificing too much strength. Round holes don't create as much of a focus for shear energy so there was some sense to it. Mostly it was done to things that needed to fill a space but were not stressed. i.e. brake pedals, the gussets that hold things like tanks and seats, mounting brackets...

When I first saw the holey bullets I thought they were going for the same effect they use to reduce drag in aircraft, or maybe the effect of dimples on golf balls to reduce drag.

Those things may not work when applied to bullets but at least they're real.

The "rocket like effect" is just idiot bait.

this is just where some people have some very expensive Swiss turning machines looking for something to make some other people separate themselves from a dollar with. no doubt in my mind some people will buy into the rocket effect.

there are a lot of different bullets out there now so what's a few more?

post-26137-0-37465200-1401467986_thumb.jpg

Edited by the 4th Doctor