Saiga Conversions for CA

For those like me in California that want to use their pre-2000 high caps in their Siagas, leaving it "featureless", you only need to do four 922R parts: Tapco G2 Hammer and disconnector, Tapco gas piston or Tapco handguard, and Tapco magazine followers.

You can get a Tapco G2 set and either cut the trigger off the bottom of the trigger/disconnector assembly, or re-use the Saiga diconnector housing. Drive out the hollow pin, and remove the Russian disconnector. Then take the Tapco disconnector and the hollow assembly pin from the Tapco and install.

progress.gif

I'm adding a Timbersmith stock, that I just got off Gunbroker and probably FCG group as well.  Gives me 4 US made parts, a follower or just straight US made magazines puts me well below the part count for 922r compliance.  Hopefully get to go shoot mine this week when I get my cast off my ankle and switched to a walking boot.

• 2 weeks later...

Just putting on my new gas tube and lower handguard retainer I got from Dinzag Arms.  Put the new tube on and the bolt seems to bind a bit when going back into battery.  Anyone have this issue previously?

EDIT:  Found the issue after a bit.  The tube needed to be ground down to lock fully in place.  It was just a touch off and looked locked in place but was binding the bolt.  After I ground it down it works properly now.

Edited by Protectandserve
  • 2 weeks later...

Uggh, having to deal with the Post Office because my Timbersmith Stock got shipped to an old address.  I've spoken to 3 different people, all were less then helpful.  Last guy at the Post Office was a complete and utter asshole.  Ended up just calling the leasing office where it got delivered, they at least may try and help.  Probably just gonna end up going to the apartment and picking it up from the person who lives there.

No wonder the postal service is losing money.

• Like 1

I don't know about you, but for me the shipping time can be annoying enough, without the screw ups!

Best of luck getting your stock as soon as you can!

BTW, which Timbersmith stock did you order, one of the stained ones or a bare one to stain yourself?

Got the black stained one from timbersmith.  I wanted to do the Combloc Red but couldn't find one in stock anywhere, including Gunbroker.  Found the black one on GB and ordered it, had the shipping mix up but the seller was helpful and it was my mistake on not checking the address so no worries there.

Was able to pick it up from the apartment today.  Luckily the lady who worked there had not opened it and had it for me.  I just knocked, showed her my ID and explained the situation and picked it up.  The post office never called back or did their part.

I'm keeping it with no pistol grip so it is featureless.  Just having to do some sanding on the bottom of the stock so the trigger guard fits.  I'll post pics when I finish.  The upper handguard is really loose.  I need to get one of the clips first for it, then maybe add a shim or something to tighten it up.

Even if limited to 10 rounders because you sdidn't have the 30s before 2000, featureless has a lot of virtues .  Having carried a weapon all of my life (6 years military, 20+ years LEO, 3 years armed security) bullet buttons and Radlocks are a tactical nightmare.

Edited by imarangemaster

I can do the normal capacity mags because I am allowed to possess them due to LEO Status.  One of the few perks of being a LEO in CA.

Here's the photos.  Had to do a lot of cutting, sanding and drilling to adapt the stock for the saiga.

OvCQDydl.jpg

iqDykV3l.jpg

HygK8Yml.jpg

Looks great.  I may need to do this to my CA Saiga.

Regards

I live in California and considering recent events I think, for a Californian, it would be crazy to convert a Saiga these days.  Non bullet button AKs are few, and now fewer.  Save Kydex wraps for WASRs, until they are gone too.  A build like the one the braggart, entitled cop [insert sarcasm here] above posted makes much more since too me. 

Edited by nick adams

Being  an LEO in California (or anywhere for that matter) has few enough perks,  Bad hours, missed family gigs, injuries, gang-bangers and homicidal ex-cons.  People really are trying to kill you.  I retired in 1998 on a medical with a destroyed back from a tweeker on PCP. Courtesy of 26 years LEO/Military I have had back surgery, three shoulder surgeries, two ankle surgeries,  wrist surgery, and am half deaf.  My right to have and use high capacity magazines, however, has nothing to do with retired LEO status.  It is because I legally possessed the magazines in California prior to 1-1-2000.  I even had an Chinese AK and a Colt SP1 that I registered under the original assault rifle bill in 1989.  I sold them in 2000 after I was forced out on disability, but I kept the magazines.

Edited by imarangemaster
  • Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

It handles surprisingly well.  The grip is slightly off due to the straight stock and short length of pull but was by no means uncomfortable to shoot.  Handled fairly well, only issue with the straight stock and no pistol grip is reloads are slightly awkward due to balance issues.