Dragunov stock conversion

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Jim Bob

Jim Bob

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 11:30 AM

I am looking for information about installing an SVD Dragunov stock to my normal Saiga 410. Has somebody done it? Does it involve moving the trigger group forward? I asked Oleg at rusmilitary.com and he answered that it is not possible. Any help - walkthrough would be appreciated.

#2 -Indy-

-Indy-

Weapons GURU

• Super Moderator
  • 10,035 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 12:07 PM

I dont think that an SVD stock will fit onto ANY style AK with a stamped receiver...

IT is just too different a design, as it was intended for a completely different receiver configuration.

I am not saying it isnt possible, I just dont think it will be easy without serious mods to the stock itself.

I do know that a cheapo WASR10 style drag copy stock *WILL* slip right in and work fine. I know that because that was the FIRST stock I used on MY 410 conversion a few years back, before I even KNEW this site existed. That was a hack job let me tell ya... flying by the seat of my pants with a dremel thinking to myself... "if this doesnt work, I just ruined a $200.00 shotgun... Oh well... I will MAKE IT WORK!" and amazingly enough it did... Then I found the forums, came here.. and holy shiznit... so did everybody else!

But you WILL NEED TO DO THE FCG conversion to put ANY style AK stock on, other than your factory saiga stock... as they are made for the FCG to be forward of where it is now, to have the pistol grip in the proper location.

What might be a BETTER avenue for you to persue, is to call IRONWOOD designs...

http://www.ironwoodd...zAKproduct.html

And see if you cant get a custom made SVD style lookalike that will slip right into a stamped receiver. That does TWO things for you right off the bat...

ONE... saves hair pulling, cussing and stress, and the possible "mother f*@%er this wont work after all"!!

TWO... Gives you one more US parts count. which is always a good thing!

At least check into it... and if he cant do what ya want, and you feel the need to live on the edge... GOOD LUCK!!! I DO hope it works out for you. and when you get 'er done... we ALL will want to see pics! :up: :up:

And thats the picture of my FIRST conversion, down below... what it looked like with the drag wasr10 stock on it...
:smoke:

Attached Files

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
~ Thomas Jefferson

It is impossible to make people understand their ignorance; for it requires knowledge to perceive it and therefore he that can perceive it, hath it not.
Jeremy Taylor
English prelate (1613 - 1667)

"The AG has determined that you're a potential terrorist, because only potential terrorists are interested in buying guns."

#3 Jim Bob

Jim Bob

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 12:42 PM

Actually I live in Europe so I don't have to worry about the origin of the parts, only to find them. Browsing the forums I saw a conversion usin a Choate stock. Any more info about that?

#4 jtoddellis

jtoddellis

Executive Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 12:58 PM

I thought in Europe Saiga's came with the Pistol grip already on them? If so changing to the Choat stock or a Wasr stock would only be a matter of removing a few screws and replacing the stock.

#5 Jim Bob

Jim Bob

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 02:40 PM

Has anyone checked out www.ultimak.com? They have Choate SVD stock that fit a normal AK. Has anyone tried this approach? Any comments on their ACR2 AK Modular Forend Rail Mounting System?

#6 ASSASSIN

ASSASSIN

Executive Member

• PipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 03:21 PM

Indyarms is right

The dragunov stock (laminated wood or synthetic) will not fit to an AK stamped reciever. I fitted a laminated wood stock to my new dragunov and the wood is not a drop in fit to the new dragunov, it takes some hand fitting to get it to work. There are some fibreforce dragunov style synthetic stocks around that fit fine to a saiga with the standard pistol grip configuration but not to a sporter stocked saiga.

all the best

assassin
Life is not too short.............your just dead for too damn long!

#7 Cobra's Custom LLC

Cobra's Custom LLC

Custom Parts and Parts Service

• Business Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,401 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 07:20 PM

The best Dragunov style conversion I have seen on here so far was Stockstad's. I think it is a long barreled 7.62x39. Anyone have a pic or a link to it?

Ahh here it is!

Attached Files

imag036.GIF

- Bolt & Carrier Mods and Polishing > http://www.Cobras-Custom.com <

Details on Cobra's Custom ReliabilitySystem >> http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/90388-new-ak-saiga-vepr-bolt-and-trigger-service-no-extra-waiting/

Our Sub Forum - COBRA'S CUSTOM LLC
IMPROVISE! ADAPT! OVERCOME!

#8 -Indy-

-Indy-

Weapons GURU

• Super Moderator
  • 10,035 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 07:40 PM

Got ya covered, bro!

http://forum.saiga-1...wtopic=6177&hl=

Try that...

Thanks Indy!

Don't mention it COBRA you rock man!! :super:

:lolol:
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
~ Thomas Jefferson

It is impossible to make people understand their ignorance; for it requires knowledge to perceive it and therefore he that can perceive it, hath it not.
Jeremy Taylor
English prelate (1613 - 1667)

"The AG has determined that you're a potential terrorist, because only potential terrorists are interested in buying guns."

#9 stokstad

stokstad

Rather Large Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 02:34 AM

I'm so happy I get Cobras vote for best drag converstion :super: :super:

Thanks Cobra

Jim bob if you have any questions feel free to contact me.
Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation, that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? Where is the difference between having our arms in possession and under our direction, and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?" (Patrick Henry, 3 J. Elliot, Debates in the Several State Conventions 45, 2d ed. Philadelphia, 1836)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users