There was one made in Australia off an enfield action that was chamber 7.62x39 and used AK mags.. Never was imported and I think is out of production.

A pump action rifle with a selector for 'slam fire' fit for AK or AR mags would be a nice option for people in ban states.

6035599245_bda46b244e_b.jpg

I wonder if they shortened the back side of the barrel, then reamed a new chamber for the x39 case??  A normal lee enfield used a 303 british, which shoots a .310-.311 bullet, which is the same diameter as the x39.  Im not sure how well the magwells match up, but it surely was modified too.

Edited by Boomsick42

There was one made in Australia off an enfield action that was chamber 7.62x39 and used AK mags.. Never was imported and I think is out of production.

A pump action rifle with a selector for 'slam fire' fit for AK or AR mags would be a nice option for people in ban states.

I have an AIA (Australia International Arm"s) M10-A2 that was bought new in 2003, and I inherited in 2005, and. yes - they were imported. (see rifle above). But only about 200 came in to the U.S. and they were supposed to be dealer samples / demo guns only. Mar-Star sold them in Canada in 7.62x39 and .308.... I see one show up occasionally on auction sites. Importation was halted when it was revealed that some of the "parts" may have been made in Vietnam.

Basically, It's an Enfield No.4 Mk3 barreled for 7.62x38 and bottom Iron to take an AK mag. Drums won't fit and they are finicky about linear mags. Feed lips need to be long before the cartridge is released. I put an ATI stock on mine because the beautiful Teak and IRON furniture adds about 6lbs to its weight. As pictured above, it's about 13lbs - empty. Pics available if needed...

Macbeau...

Edited by macbeau
  • Like 1

There are Romanian pump-action AKs out there, as well - I had one for a little while, didn't care for it. There's no locking mechanism - the only thing keeping the bolt carrier locked in position is the spring - what is called the recoil spring on a semi-auto. Very unsafe, in my opinion.

Here is my review from April of last year....

I've had one since 2005 (an AIA M10 A2 in 7.62x39 - they made a .308/M-14 mag version too) and no, 75 / 100 rd drums won't fit. The mag well is too deep. The round / top part of the drum hits the stock/mag well liner well before the rear locking lug contacts the mag release. Most 30rd and 40rds fit fine, but it is picky about the feed lips on those. It comes with two 10 rd mags.

Only 200 M10's came into the country as dealer samples in 2003/2004. They weren't supposed to be sold to the general public but they did and sold for about $750 new back then. They got banned from further importation because it was discovered that some of the manufacturing (barrels and small steel parts) was done in Vietnam. AIA was using the old Long Branch facility and machinery to make the receiver and rest of the rifle. Overall quality of workmanship and fit & finish were great. I don't recall who the importer / distributor was here. Marstar in Canada sold both the 7.62x39 and 308 versions. I don't think any of the .308 versions made it here - at least not without going through Canada.

Austrailia International Arms is now defunct.

Also - mine will only shoot heavy bullets accurately. I tried maybe 7 different factory loads of the usual manufacturers and the best I could manage was about a 14" group at 100yds, which is no group, in my opinion. I discovered that the rifling pitch was too fast for 122-125 gn weights. I've had to handload (.311 dia) 150gns before I found Wolf 154gnrs, which it shoots just fine. It'll run about 3"-4" using iron sights and Wolf 154 SP.

It is based on an Enfield No4 MKIII action and is "cock-on-closing". It is very heavy for what it is. About 11.5 lbs in stock configuration. That teak stock is about 4 lbs all by itself. I put an ATI polymer stock on mine and it's still over 8 lbs, unloaded and without an optic. The receiver is VERY stout. On the plus side, recoil is next to zero and it is one of the few bolt guns I've had that you can work the bolt without taking it off my shoulder - but, that is true with most SMLE-type rifles. The barrel uses the Savage 110-style collar to headspace / secure the barrel to the receiver. The barrel is chrome lined. The muzzle and flash suppressor use a goofy thread like 14.5mm RH and about 2" of the muzzle is threaded. Sights are flip L/S rear and AR-style front. It comes with a VERY heavy duty steel scope mount that cannot be used with the irons as backup. The trigger is a very heavy military two-stage affair.

All in all - it's more of a pain in the ass than it's worth and I would not have mine if it hadn't been given to me (previous owner got frustrated with it and just gave it to me) - if that tells you anything..

Macbeau sends...

post-1473-0-00785300-1408852209.jpg

post-1473-0-57376400-1408852233.jpg

• Like 1

13 lbs holy shit. How does it shoot? dot looks fun.

It doesn't like bullets under 130 grains.  I think they used a 1:10 rifling pitch (from their .308 version), though it has a .311 bore.  I finally got it to group by handloading 150gn Speer's an Sierra's at about 3" to 4" at 100 yds using iron sights.  Then I discovered Wolf and Tula 154gn SP.  It loved that so I bought a case and only use it in that rifle. 

The factory 10 round mags work fine, but I have had to had select 20 and 30 round steel mags because of the feed lip issue..  It really does NOT like polymer mags.

If it weren't for the weight, it being finiky about mags and if shot 122gm - 125gn ammo, it would be a fun and handy Cervid-slayer.  As it is, it's more of a novelty.

The receiver is VERY stount and over designed for the cartridge / pressures involved.  When I swapped out the Teak stock for the ATI, there was much fitting done and I glass bedded it.  It is still a heavy pig and accuracy is okay, but nothing to brag about. 

It is a shame really.  There is a lot of potential there.  But, even as it is now, It outweighs my S308 by about 2 lbs, or so. 

If interested, I could take more pics of it.

Macbeau...

• Like 1

It doesn't like bullets under 130 grains.  I think they used a 1:10 rifling pitch (from their .308 version), though it has a .311 bore.  I finally got it to group by handloading 150gn Speer's an Sierra's at about 3" to 4" at 100 yds using iron sights.  Then I discovered Wolf and Tula 154gn SP.  It loved that so I bought a case and only use it in that rifle. 

The factory 10 round mags work fine, but I have had to had select 20 and 30 round steel mags because of the feed lip issue..  It really does NOT like polymer mags.

If it weren't for the weight, it being finiky about mags and if shot 122gm - 125gn ammo, it would be a fun and handy Cervid-slayer.  As it is, it's more of a novelty.

The receiver is VERY stount and over designed for the cartridge / pressures involved.  When I swapped out the Teak stock for the ATI, there was much fitting done and I glass bedded it.  It is still a heavy pig and accuracy is okay, but nothing to brag about. 

It is a shame really.  There is a lot of potential there.  But, even as it is now, It outweighs my S308 by about 2 lbs, or so. 

Macbeau...

I was kinda interested in it. Is this anything similar to the mini mauser that was imported by cai? From what I read there were about 200 that made it here and they cut it off because some parts were made in Vietnam? Strange.

I traded a 77 ruger for some cash and one in .17 a long time ago. Guess that was a mistake that I can live with. The 17 is fun and the 7.62x39 version is going for well over a grand now. Ruger fans have a hard on for what was once considered one ugly freakin stock. The boat paddle black stock with the logo on it.

My buddy has my mini 30. Some don't like them, I love the way his is set up. He's an old nam vet who also dislikes the 5.56. It's set up pretty nice and lives it's life outside on a ranch most of the time. It too loves the wolf.

I basically fall in love with obscure weapons, please post more photos of your hen's tooth!

Macbeau...

I was kinda interested in it. Is this anything similar to the mini mauser that was imported by cai? From what I read there were about 200 that made it here and they cut it off because some parts were made in Vietnam? Strange.

I traded a 77 ruger for some cash and one in .17 a long time ago. Guess that was a mistake that I can live with. The 17 is fun and the 7.62x39 version is going for well over a grand now. Ruger fans have a hard on for what was once considered one ugly freakin stock. The boat paddle black stock with the logo on it.

My buddy has my mini 30. Some don't like them, I love the way his is set up. He's an old nam vet who also dislikes the 5.56. It's set up pretty nice and lives it's life outside on a ranch most of the time. It too loves the wolf.

I basically fall in love with obscure weapons, please post more photos of your hen's tooth!

It's not really comparable to the mini Mauser, other than it's a bolt action.  There is nothing mini about the action.  It is a full sized No.4 MkIII receiver with some added weight.  One could theoretically convert this into a .308 or .303.  It in not a surplus action.  AIA made the receiver as new.  The barrels were supposedly made in Vietnam.  Not sure why the .308 version never made it to the US (though it was imported into Canada).

Only 200 M10A2 (7.62x39) were imported to the US and they were not supposed to be sold to the general public.  They were intended to be dealer samples and display specimens for distributors.  I think 10 were earmarked to go to gun writers for the various gun rags.  I have only seen 4 other AIA's in person and another half dozen or so on online auctions. 

I really wanted a CZ527 when they first came out, but too expensive and spare mags are pricy too.  Then H&R came out with a Handi rifle in 7.62x39, but I snoozed too long and H&R dropped it from their catalogue (and accessory barrel program).  The Ruger 77 is nice, but too $$$$.  The Remington 799 / CAI mini Mauser has a lot of appeal.  I was given the AIA by an old shooting buddy of mine who could never get it to shoot worth a damn.  I like playing with it and I have hunted with it, It's just heavier than I like in a rifle that I may need to hump more that a mile or so.

I'll try to take some more pics of it when I get home this evening.

Macbeau...

• Like 1