It doesnt mean anything. Makes a nice 2A headline, but the stats are worthless.

First, we dont have CCW in the city, in effect. CCW is banned from public transport and every single venue anyone would want to visit. Essentially, you can only carry if you drive everywhere and just walk on the streets. As long as those streets dont have any sort of event going on, anything that requires a permit, and in Chicago EVERYTHING requires a permit. We just passed a law requiring kids lemonade stand licensing for cripes sake. There is simply NO WAY that CCW is having ANY effect at the street level in the city. In fact, I would suspect the opposite, as the wide swaths of prohibited places make Chicago more of a 'safe haven' for gang crime than the near suburbs. I would expect crime to start moving from the suburbs, where criminals could run across a middle-class CCW holder, into the city proper, where the odds of that are greatly diminished.

Second, the stats used are literally useless. EVERY city that has adopted compstat (or similar) has experienced widespread illegal manipulation of the statistics to meet whatever goals the Supervisors/mayor has decreed. People take the fall, but the leadership stays the same, and the manipulation continues. There are examples of this in 'The Wire' that are very true to life. A real-world example: cops here found a naked, gagged woman in an abandoned warehouse tied to a chair with wire, apparently tortured to death. It was filed as a death investigation, NOT murder. Every day, if you read between the lines, you can find felonies like Assault with Deadly changed to simple misdemeanor Assault, or similar crime downgrades. To say nothing of the crimes that are never even filed.

And honestly, its way too early to make these connections. We just got CCW in January, they took the full 90 days to process the first aps, and the bulk of applicants have been waiting a bit anyway to see how it shook out. We probably wont be able to draw conclusions for at least another year, and dont expect any effect on the city until a year after we get CCW on public transport made legal.

Edited by mostholycerebus

I agree, it'll take some time for the real story to be told, but as it stands now, I don't think the Hood Rats know anything about what is stated above, all they know is that CC is now legal, that MAY be enough to deter the thugs, somewhat.

We do work for some business' in Shitcago, and every time I talk to them about what's going on, they just say "why don't you come visit", Yeh right, snow balls chance in hell, Have a customer in R.I., that every time he calls, always in the afternoon, when I'm home, he won't give me the P.O.# until I dump 20 off the back deck with the S12, and then giggles like a little girl.

I say if you can LEGALLY own the firearm, then you should be allowed to carry it, at least for right now, that would stop even more killing....Uh, ILLEGAL that is.

I agree, it'll take some time for the real story to be told, but as it stands now, I don't think the Hood Rats know anything about what is stated above, all they know is that CC is now legal, that MAY be enough to deter the thugs, somewhat.

Its exactly the same thing as what the left is doing to erode our rights, but in reverse. Chicago managed to get a slight win and chipped some of their freedom back. It's completely imperfect and not nearly enough, but its a start. Its the best thing to happen up there in 30 years.

I still won't be visiting, but even if it were a totally free city in a free state I wouldn't go... I just detest huge cities.

• Like 1