So says the US Navy;   http://www.examiner.com/article/u-s-navy-deploys-laser-cannon-to-the-persian-gulf-for-sea-trials

The U.S. Navy’s first laser cannon has been deployed to the Persian Gulf on board the USS Ponce, an amphibious transport ship. The cannon is capable of putting out a 30 kilowatt beam, capable of shooting down an aerial drone or burning a small boat to the waterline. The latter mission is particularly relevant, considering the threat of terrorists or rogue nations like Iran attacking Navy ships with a small boat filled with explosives. The USS Cole was attacked in just such a manner in October, 2000 while at the port of Aden in Yemen.

The laser cannon will be deployed on the Ponce for a year. The purpose of the deployment is to conduct sea trials for the weapon to ascertain how it works during the rigors of a long cruise on board a naval vessel in a potentially hostile area. If the trials are successful, similar weapons will likely be installed on other navy ships.

More advanced models will be able to take out missiles and even aircraft that present a threat to Navy warships. In theory, a laser cannon could be build that could damage an enemy warship. But the limiting factor in that case is the amount of power that the ship’s generators could pump into the laser. Even so, with potential enemies such as China and Iran diligently working to attack American ships, the laser cannon could prove to be an effective countermeasure.

• Like 1

China and Russia probably already have the blueprints, thanks to our weak security.

A sad reflection on a nation in decline.

I have a friend who worked in the AirfARCE in the mid to late 90's. He was working on a light system at that time. He's spooky smart and only told me how cool the project was. This was many years ago so I'm sure Clinton sold China the information years ago and they have their own copy by now. You know as well as I do that if the public knows about it, it's probably been used for decades. :)

Optics will be the limiting factor.  High power lasers degrade the mirrors quickly and replacement can be a real pain in the ass, and expensive too.

Those mirrors will last about an hour of firing time.

But instead of more hi-tech, THIS is what the Navy needs to be working on fighting! 

http://www.voltairenet.org/article185860.html

Despite official positions, sharing of technology makes every-one equal. I suspect the sharing is actually condoned and fostered through backroom deals. The old MAD or Mutually Assured Destruction mindset is alive and well. Do we really think America can rule the world? Our world has been partitioned into spheres of influence with outlying areas up for grabs. As long as no one country gets too uppity, all is well.