Got a buddy who is an FFL. He knows I regret never buying a VEPR. I have converted 2 Saigas and love em. So he calls me because he has a NIB VEPR 308 with 23 inch barrel. $800. Good buy? Or at least a decent buy? He knows I have been wanting to get a 308, and I had looked at AR10s, Tikka, Savage, and Remington bolt actions, and so this would meet two wants. A VEPR and a 308.

No real specific use in mind. Maybe hog hunting, but the Saigas do just fine for that. Thoughts?

ETA-Its the slant back version 1.

Edited by Semper299

That's where he got it. Legion. That's the rifle, and it has the nice wood. He owes me a little, so with shipping, tax, and FFL, minus what he owes me, its $800. If I ordered it from Legion, it would be around $835, $20 for shipping and $15 for FFL. No tax.

Edited by Semper299

It's a good deal. That is what I paid for the exact rifle right after the sanctions. +1 on getting to inspect first. In my opinion the slant backs were better in fit, finish, and smoothness of action over the square backs that got imported enmass. The 23" is very accurate in .308 as well. Love mine.

Awesome. Thanks for the response, and really confirmed what I was thinking. The other factor I had to consider is I can always save up and get an AR10 or a bolt action.....the days of being able to get a VEPR for a decent price are probably limited.