Sat 04/04/15
Gulf Shores, AL
Gulf State Park Pier
Sheepshead taken on live shrimp, weight nine pounds (9#)

My new personal best Sheepshead, this big fat, runaway from Jenny Craig weighed in at 9#.
She used that weight to dive deep under the pier, and it was a near Easter Miracle that I got her turned & out.
I put her and four of her kin in our cooler today.

BigFatSheepie_zpstaojm817.jpg

Edited by ChileRelleno
  • Like 9

Nice catch chile! I'm lucky if a catch a couple snapper blues where I am. ..

I wish our Blues got as big as ya'lls do.

East Coast Blues dwarf our Gulf Coast's, a 10 pound Blue is considered huge here and the state record is only 17# 4oz.

• Like 1

Nice fish Chile. I,ve read that they are difficult to clean but never had it explained why.

How about some tips from an expert?

Their ribcage is so heavy you damned near need a saw or cleaver to get through it.

So anglers in the know, know to go around/over it.

They're easy to clean if you know how.

100_7219_zpslbhytoyo.jpg

Wow. I've got my fair share of sheephead but nothing that size. Must have felt like a monster!

That she did, even the guy netting her exclaimed at her weight.

wow, I've never seen that sort of fish before. its really cool looking!

Oh c'mon now, I showed you a table full of them last week.

Edited by ChileRelleno
  • Like 4

Hey Chili,

Why the pliers? Come on, be a man and jam your finger in its mouth and REALLY show us how to hold that little ole fish. smile.png

Yeah right, them suckers crush barnacles & mussels like we do a mouthful of corn flakes.

k-bigpic.jpg

Their gill plates have a very sharp edge, ya don't want to pick them up there either, and their dorsal & anal fin spines are wicked long/thick.

I'd already had one flop on the deck right into my leg, two of those huge dorsal spines got me good, I bled for half an hour.

I wanted it to bleed, help wash out any nastiness and avoid infection.

Here ya go

100_7217_zpswsvsfuhl.jpg

She was right at 23"

100_7216_zpsr0srx9gb.jpg

Edited by ChileRelleno
  • Like 4

Chile

I'm not a fisherman by any stretch. Closest I come is wrestling the two for one Gordon's battered planks at my local jewel.

Those teeth in that fish are just damn creepy.

But that being said, congrats on your catch. As another member here said, your ability to pull dinner from the ocean is rather commendable.

Also, my coworker is actually on vacation in gulf shores as well. I'd love to hear your overall opinion of the place to contrast his. ( way to much background to be worth getting into. Short point. Both people I respect I'd like to hear their opinion on.

• Like 1

Chile

I'm not a fisherman by any stretch. Closest I come is wrestling the two for one Gordon's battered planks at my local jewel.

Those teeth in that fish are just damn creepy.

But that being said, congrats on your catch. As another member here said, your ability to pull dinner from the ocean is rather commendable.

Also, my coworker is actually on vacation in gulf shores as well. I'd love to hear your overall opinion of the place to contrast his. ( way to much background to be worth getting into. Short point. Both people I respect I'd like to hear their opinion on.

Traffic can be hell at times, especially during Spring Break, or when there are Big Ticket entertainment events.

People are generally great/friendly, if you're friendly you'll get friendly in return... But there are Aholes everywhere.

Lots to do, something for everyone, sportsmans & tourist paradise.  If you can't find fun, you're still sitting in your room.

Some excellent restaurants, you're on the Gulf, try the seafood.

I know a lot of people who vacation here a few times and decide to move and/or retire here.

Edited by ChileRelleno

Thanks chile good to know. Never heard of the place until a few weeks ago. Ill definitely vacation there sometime between what you and my coworkers said. Seems nice

As far as retirement, I'm looking for more mountains and cooler weather ( however, at the tender age of 30, that may change.)

Reading about constitutional carry and Vermont has made me rethink that state. But I still have a lot to check out.

I lived in St. Pete, Fl. when i was kid, fished every week end at Fort Desoto, ALMOST learned the hard way about those teeth, but between those and yellow tails, we'd fish all weekend, then ride our bikes back home, most fun i ever had. Gonna have to take the wife to Gulf Shores to shut her up, we used to go every other weekend and fish, but after hurricane tore up the park and pier, we havent been down, maybe after the summer crowd dies down.

And Chili, how about leaving some fish for me? :)