Crap. I'm in Chicago right now and I haven't heard this. I'm not much of a mainstream media kind of guy, but the wife is. I guess I'll watch the news while I'm on the treadmill tonight.

Also, side note. Spike lee is making a movie titled "chiraq" that has Rahm upset and a few alderman cranky. That, I've heard a bunch about.

Thanks for the post.

Nah, Dems will say the CCW holder was responsible for there being a shooting in the the first place.

I mean we all know that if a robber comes into a place and finds out he's the only one with a gun he'll feel so ashamed he'll hand his gun to a clerk and just slump of to wait to be arrested? 

The shooter was probably told he couldn't have any ketchup on his hot dog. 022.gif:angry:

What is it with Chicago and having some ketchup put on your hot dog?  After all, I paid for the f**ker. rolleyes.gif

Edited by Gaddis
  • Like 3

I sure wish there was a wikipedia page with a title like 

"List of 'active shooters' interrupted by a private citizen"

The ones that come to mind are:

+ A megachurch in Colorado a few years ago. Lady who volunteered as security for the church shot a guy in the parking lot with a dufflebag full of guns... I wish I could remember her name, because how she talked to the press afterwards was awesome. -- Jeanne Assam 

Idiot has grudge agains churches that won't make him a leader. The guy shot up one place, a YWAM, then went to the megachurch. He shot a guy there, Assam  shot him. He shot himself more. Assam saved a lot of lives. Little publicity happened.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Colorado_YWAM_and_New_Life_shootings

+ The guy who stopped the clackamas town center shooter a year or two back. He pointed his baby glock 10mm at the active but didn't fire due to people in line with the attacker. Attacker saw him and suicided.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clackamas_Town_Center_shooting

wiki does not list this as a spree shooting because it was interrupted before getting enough victims.

+ This.

[you can expand this list!]

• Like 1

Well, I was at the gym and not a word on the 5 o'clock news. To be fair, I didn't catch the end, but it doesn't seem likely that that is where they'd put it. Or maybe they would, I don't know. Big suprise as for months prior to getting cc they printed editorial after editorial about how Chicago would become "the Wild West" and how the "streets would run red with blood".

Hey, with number of homicides they have, the streets are already pretty dang red. If I see any coverage, ill post it.

The shooter was probably told he couldn't have any ketchup on his hot dog. :killer::angry:

What is it with Chicago and having some ketchup put on your hot dog?  After all, I paid for the f**ker. :rolleyes:

Dude, Gaddis, don't ask me. I live in the outlying burbs but work in the city often. Trying to get a hot dog any other way then "the Chicago way" is damn near impossible. There's a small chain starting up of hot dogs from different areas of the country. My two favorites ? The Green Bay- ketchup and hot nacho cheese. And the Des Moines ( been awhile, not sure on the town) hotdog with pull pork and a little BBQ sauce.

So not all of us have a problem with that :)

Gunfun +1

I remember the coverage if that mall shooter, just like you said. If I find any, ill try to post.

I used to work in a store at that mall at Meyer & Franks, (Now Macy's). This is where he entered. The sherrif's department leases a unit directly opposite, and on the upper level. The shooter started outside and ended approximately 1-200 yards inside the building to the South. 

CTC%20Shooting%20Map%20Clackamas%20Town%

For perspective, my memory is a little fuzzy on layout, but I think the SO office space and substation is roughly either against the Nordstrom block here or in the area where the new food court is being built. From the outside, it is just North of the bus area, and is visually minimized. It lets out into the inside of the mall, but the halls are not really intended to encourage public traffic.  This is a Clackamas Co substation, intended for vehicle dispatch, etc. Not for public access. Again, I might be stating the layout of this part wrong, but that's how I remember that area. It's been a while since I worked there. 2nd%20Floor.gif

It is the perfect illustration of all gun control arguments:

1) background checks, waiting periods are irrelevant. The guy stole the guns from a friend. He had mental problems, but they weren't officially dealt with in a way that would have triggered anything on a background check.

2) the guy had a stolen bushmaster AR. He fired 27 rounds in the food court at a crowd, killing 2 and wounding a third. Anyone could have hit more people, so I believe that like most humans, he was even then by nature resistant to kill. I believe most of the 27 rounds went into the ceiling.

3) Like the vast majority of spree shooters, he suicided at the first sign of any resistance.

4) The spree was literally in the same building as a law enforcement station, with security guards, police and deputies in the building. A private citizen was still able to respond quicker. When 'seconds counted', police inside the building actually were minutes away.

5) Antis claim that "untrained" people with guns will randomly engage in dangerous fire like the  "wild west" escalating situations and hitting bystanders.The CCW holder didn't fire a crazy burst into a crowd. He drew before the shooter noticed, aimed and held fire since he did not have a clear shot.

6) The mall had signs posted against carrying on all entrances. They've doubled down on this policy despite actual proof of it's ineffectiveness against both bad and good guys.

7) The cops immediately took credit for ending the situation, and the department more or less still does. Where's the outrage about this type of stolen valor? Most of them are ex military, and understandably get bent about dirtbags claiming to be special forces, but I've yet to hear anyone in LE talk about situations like this.  

Just about everything from mainstream sources that mentions Nick Meli's heroic action phrases it in a way that implies doubt. Nothing I have ever seen has given any reason to doubt it, just a strongly implied presumption against the private citizen. The police press reports don't dispute it but still spend more time talking about how fast they were there and got the situation under control.

Note this nauseating report.-- http://www.wsema.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/13_-_CTC_SHT_WSEMA.pdf

In discussing the incident, it takes pages 5-13 to brag about how many people and agencies were mobilized. It then talks for several pages about how they were overwhelmed with calls and confusion-- excuses but valid ones.  The report fails to mention once the involvement of Mr. Meli, and fails to mention that NONE of those hundreds of personnel they are so proud of mobilizing got there until it was all over. But at least they managed to shut the whole mall down for a full day after it was over, because that helps, right? 

I'm not saying I could expect LE to respond any differently, other than how they describe what happened. Best case, LE is always reactionary in nature, and I am sure they were doing their best to deal with the chaos.

The news media was extremely eager to talk about what kind of the murderer had and where he got it, and didn't hesitate to speculate. Even weeks later Portland TV was talking about it nonstop. I first learned about Meli from a midwest blog discussion a week or two later.

Edited by GunFun
  • Like 1

So technically the guy who did save the day was breaking the law by carrying there? Because I fear he might get cited for it like that guy with a[n illegal] samurai sword who saved a bunch of cops in England a bit back.

Yep, even the crazy whacky gun stories get more time than "armed citizen saves the day".

I was also surprised the Chicago CCL Uber driver story made the news.

So isn't that worthy of a hero award like rescuing people from a burning building?

How 'bout taking some time from running red lights to recognize the guy Rahm?

• Like 1

So technically the guy who did save the day was breaking the law by carrying there? Because I fear he might get cited for it like that guy with a[n illegal] samurai sword who saved a bunch of cops in England a bit back.

He wasn't breaking the law, technically...He just wasn't complying with the wishes of the business owner, IMHO.

The law of trespass is still the law. Whether you like it or not is immaterial.

I had you in mind when I wrote that (hoping you could clarify).

I'll take a trespassing charge over my life or the lives of the people that I care about.

I see a multi-million dollar lawsuit against business' that post "No CCW weapons" and then fail to provide "reasonably equal security" (ie instant lethal defense).

Would someone have "standing", even if they hadn't been the victim of a crime?

Edited by Sim_Player

Actually it depends on your state laws whether or not you can be charged. In SC there is a state mandated sign that must be posted with very specific dimensions, colors etc. If a non compliant sign is posted all the business owner can do is ask you to leave. If you intentionally violate a legal sign, then they can suspend and or revoke your permit. Having said all that, you could still get jammed by the interpretation of the officer if it came to that.

JDeko you have to know the laws where ever you plan on carrying. Go here http://www.handgunlaw.us/  as a start if your not sure.

• Like 1

The law of trespass is still the law. Whether you like it or not is immaterial.

I had you in mind when I wrote that (hoping you could clarify).

I'll take a trespassing charge over my life or the lives of the people that I care about.

That's your call to make. 

It varies from state to state. In WA, if they have it posted, it can be either civil or criminal trespass or both. I believe a low level misdemeanor, but don't hold me to that. It was actually one of the questions I asked a prosecuting attorney who gave a lecture on the topic last Friday, so I should remember the severity better than I do. I think it might also affect whether you can keep your CCW if you've got multiple convictions for this kind of trespass.

Keep in mind the federal building thing is way harsher. ~"Any building in which federal employees regularly work..." also "up to the checkpoint" From what the prosecutor was telling me, the feds really use unintentional errors as a shakedown. i.e. guy gets in wrong line and gets up to security checkpoint, remembers that he's packing and tries to turn around. Security gets suspicious and stops him. Charge: Felony. Plea down to I forget what, +~$2000 (& the cost of defense) This is where they know he's a good guy who made an honest mistake and no harm was intended...

• Like 1