EBay 1/2x28 muzzle brakes and flash hiders

I am in the market for a muzzle brake for my ar and I have been searching out ebay and there are tons of no name muzzle brakes for sale. Prices are around $20 or so. Are these really worth the price? Quality name brand are around $40. Any input is appreciated.

Best price/performance/look combination (for 5.56 brakes) IMO is the Surefire PROCOMP 556. About $53 last I checked.

I prefer flash hiders but for a brake that's what I'd use assuming I didn't need to run a can.

Edited by Darth Saigus
  • Like 1

Darth, I checked out the surefire. Dude your so wrong. Despite solid customer reviews, this hasn't been approved by arfcom. And I can't even breech a door with it!

Never mind it's a great flash suppressor. I can't put another rail in my barrel for a door breacher!

You might be a Mall Ninja if...  Your door breacher has an accessory rail.

And there it is.  Thread completely derailed.

Vortex also works, but more money. Maybe you get what you pay for? HB of CJ (old coot)

I have the Vortex on a couple of my rifles and I like the look and flash suppression, but... The thing rings like a tuning fork whenever you do anything that causes vibration, like working the bolt.

There are plusses and minuses to everything.

Edited by Darth Saigus
  • Like 2

Amazing how much noise can be made when you need absolute quiet.  Now if I could just find some way from farting I would always get my deer.  Well ... that and the stink.  And just flipping that safety, ("CLICK")  is enough for the turkeys to fly away ... just like birds. Wow. HB of CJ (old coot) :)

• Like 1

For a while the tri-delta comps were selling from the MFR for pretty reasonable prices. something like 35 or $45 for a stainless comp. Those seemed like a good design and reasonable price to me. 

Let's be honest, a lot of the super expensive tacticool comps out there are nothing more than perpendicular holes drilled in a piece of steel tube. So long as the threads are straight, and the hole in the end is in the right line, similarly sized, etc, pretty much all of them using this design will work about the same. Considering the fact that aluminum holds up too, just about any steel would be fine for the chunky designs.

• Like 1

I came across this TTAG test of a bunch of muzzle devices ranging from basic to stupid.

The "generic" Amazon brake for $17 is a bit heavy and not the best looking but did well in the test.  If you're looking for the cheapest functional brake option...

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/11/jeremy-s/556-muzzle-device-shootout/

Obviously the cheapest functional flash hider is the A2.  Not as sexy as some but it works OK and isn't big/heavy.

• Like 1