I caught my first largemouth, Smallmouth, black crappie, northern pike...maybe another species, all last year when I started getting more serious about fishing. This one was quite a bit bigger than the largemouth I've caught. Edit: maybe one of the LM was about the same size. The pike were the only fish I've caught larger, and even those were not bigger by much. I'm going to get a kayak next month, so maybe I can go after the big ones.

That's a nice smallie. What they lack in size compared to largemouth, they more than make up for in fight. I miss smallmouth fishing in TN.

where are you now? Edited by RedRhino

I caught my first largemouth, Smallmouth, black crappie, northern pike...maybe another species, all last year when I started getting more serious about fishing. This one was quite a bit bigger than the largemouth I've caught. Edit: maybe one of the LM was about the same size. The pike were the only fish I've caught larger, and even those were not bigger by much. I'm going to get a kayak next month, so maybe I can go after the big ones.

That's a nice smallie. What they lack in size compared to largemouth, they more than make up for in fight. I miss smallmouth fishing in TN.

where are you now?

I am in Birmingham, AL now. There is still Smallmouth to be had, but is is primarily North Alabama or on the larger reservoirs. You really need a boat, and I really don't want the upkeep. We were in Middle TN (Manchester) for 11 years previously. There were several small streams within 30 minutes that were loaded with big smallies. I spent many summer days wading those streams pitching Tuffy minnows, crayfish, or with a fly rod.

Sounds like you are getting bit pretty hard with the bug. It is a fun (and relaxing) past time. Congratulations on your recent successes.

I'm right on lake Ontario, so I have many tributaries, creeks, and bays to choose from. The trouble is getting to the better pockets from the shore. I'm not going to get too serious, just want a kayak to cruise down the rivers and get myself into some back water. Indy, that's a spotted bass correct? Don't think I've caught one of those yet. Thanks for the congrats Spacehog.

A good kayak would be great for your situation. It will allow you to fish cover along the banks much better than casting from shore. I primarily use mine when we go down to the beach, but we have a lake in our neighborhood that I drag it out to every one in a while. Here is the best bass I have taken from the neighborhood lake on the kayak:

post-37530-0-43352900-1431095928_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I was just going to ask if they are as aggressive as largemouth because I've never caught one, but have always wanted to try fishing for them. I guess that answers my question. smile.png

• Like 1

I was just going to ask if they are as aggressive as largemouth because I've never caught one, but have always wanted to try fishing for them. I guess that answers my question. :)

A 4lb Smallmouth will make your drag sing!

• Like 1

This one fought for a couple minutes, but the water is still really cold up here so she didn't fight too hard. They're still jumping like the largemouth do. Those crappies have a little fight in them for a smaller(generally) fish too. They're fun. Wouldn't mind figuring out where they stay.

Nice smallmouth!

post-32793-0-29485700-1431135346_thumb.jpg

I bagged this fucker on a green fly about a month ago.

post-32793-0-29485700-1431135346_thumb.jpg

This one was last years biggest bass from Tellico lake that I managed to bring in.

This time of year they hit flies pretty good. Color depends on water conditions around here. Nice fish. beer.gif

If you think smallmouth are fun, wait until you hook a stripped bass, or better known as a rockfish!

I'm right on lake Ontario, so I have many tributaries, creeks, and bays to choose from. The trouble is getting to the better pockets from the shore. I'm not going to get too serious, just want a kayak to cruise down the rivers and get myself into some back water. Indy, that's a spotted bass correct? Don't think I've caught one of those yet. Thanks for the congrats Spacehog.

Indy's looks like a largemouth.

post-32793-0-06919000-1431135385_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Rockfish (stripers) are definitely fun. I took a 37 pounder from Tims Ford Resevoir in TN about 20 years ago. Most of the ones we catch down here are in the tail races of Logan Martin Dam. They average about 10-17 lbs. A lot of fun when they turn on.

Edited by Spacehog
  • Like 1

I'm fairly sure Indy's fish is a spotted bass. Note the smaller cheek scales, and especially the lack of a separation between the first and second dorsal fins. It's also spotted up the back where a largemouth has a more distinct lateral line, and is just darker on top. The differences are kind of subtle, but the lack of a split in the dorsal fin is the giveaway. Sorry to get so technical though. As far as stripers are concerned, I think I'd have to to the Hudson river. Maybe some day I'll give it a shot. EDIT: Forget about the lateral line actually. And it don't matter in the long run what it is, first fish this this year, good job Indy!

Edited by RedRhino

Very nice.  I didn't get my line wet once last year and still haven't been this year.  :(

Between the kid, wife, work and volunteering I don't even get time to sleep.  Need to take a weekend off and spend the entire time on the water.

• Like 1