I went to some yard sales with my wife this weekend , usually I  go 2 or 3 times a year . here is my question old man 1 foot in the grave the other standing on the side . He has an older Ruger m 77 in 30.06 has a 3x9 weatherby scope his price 450.00 bottom . the gun looks great good bluing , good wood not one scratch , crown looked good barrel clean . I doubt if it has been shot much . I really don't need a 30.06 just another mouth to feed , but it was nice should I buy ? He also had a sears Ted Williams in 30.06 that looked new  450.00 for it to  I didn't look at the scope on it but it looked like the would was shellaced . Both guns were very well taken care

The Rugers are tanks, but are not known as tack drivers. After early generations, the triggers are usually comically heavy. I've got my dad's in SS, and I can't think of a suitable analogy for how heavy the trigger is. Exaggeration really is necessary to get the point across.

If it is for hunting, the ruger also sports the most positively loud safety ever too.

Can you get both rifles dirt cheap?  Can you improve the Ruger trigger and safety?  If nothing else, if they can be bought right, go through them, sight them in, detail strip and clean and grease up heavy, then bury them for future use?  I for one would think there may always be a use for excellent good-enough-accurate 30.06 scoped rifles ... with a hundred rounds or so of good ammo.  Just me.  HB