The middle between the 8 and 9 are were I was sighting it in after boresighting . This and the top of the red circle are Winchester 150 gr. power point . The bottom part is Federal 150 gr soft point . I was shooting at the numbers 9, 8 , 7 on the bottom part. the head and middle of the target is Pmc 308b ang Perfecta 308 , I thought it was going pretty well so I ran the last mag pretty fast . Now I am READY, I GO TO WALLY WORLD [yeh I know ] and see some new ammo Perfecta 150 gr soft point [they were out of Winchester ] . I go to the back of the farm put up a target about 100 yards and shoot about 5 rounds I am 8 inches high at 100 yards . I like to be 2 inches at 100 yards , so 6 inches that's 24 clicks . I go 22 clicks and shoot 55 rouns about 2 to 4 inches high . I change to 4 Pmags with ZQ1 and get ready to see if I have any FTF . I am not trying to be perfect just testing it out . I throw 100 rounds down range and have no trouble with feeding problems. YES !!!!!!!! I drive over to the target and all were about 6 inches low . WTF?

• Like 1

Glad you got it cycling. Not sure what's up with the 8" drop, your optic still tight?

I don't know it was getting close to dark when I started shooting the ZQ1 . I was so disgusted that I walked off and left the other target screwed to the tree . I am going to check the base and scope tomorrow and make sure everything is tight . Then I will shoot some Hornady and sight it in , it's going in the lead sled . I was having so much trouble getting it to cycle with the ZQ1 that I bought about 150 rounds of various 308 ammo. I liked Winchester the best and the Pmc 308b next .

• Like 1

I have a few AR s that do the same thing. The ones chambered in 6.8 seem to have the greatest shift in POI. I can put 4 rd in the x with SSA 110 gr switch to Hornady 110 gr and it moves 3 inches to the left and up 2 inches. Good  back to the SSA and I'm back in the X. I gave away the remaining boxes of Hornady I had left and bought 2 cases of SSA. Problem sovled. 

• Like 1

Best guess here is that something in the sighting system is very loose.  Next possibility is the barrel flops around in the truncheon.  Are you applying great down pressure on the barrel in the rest?  The FTFs has me confused.  What would cause that?

Inspect the fired cases for gross head space concerns.  Set up multiple targets and use a good spotting scope so you see the holes.  Grab your rifle hard and try to literally twist/bend it around.  See if there is any detectable movement.  What does the Crown look like?

Can you easily slug and measure the bore diameter?  Use a 00 or 000 buck shot.  Tap it into the bore, then push it through, then mike it.  What does the bore rifling look like?  The must be something major wrong with the build.  Unsafe?  Hope this helps.  HB.

Something similar happened to me this week.  I got a new 6mm Creedmoor barrel installed on my JP LRP-07 (AR-10) and I could barely hit a 2'x2" target at 100 yards.  Very disconcerting considering the gun should shoot around 1/2" at 100.  Turns out the barrel was a 1-10 twist instead of a 1-8 that I had ordered.  You have to have the correct twist for the shape and weight of projectile you are shooting.  Too slow and the bullet will not stablize, too fast and the bullet may explode from over rotation.

Below is link to the Berger Twist Rate Calculator that you can put in the parameters for your bullet and find out if you have the correct twist.  

http://www.bergerbullets.com/twist-rate-calculator/

Doug

• Like 3

For those that have not seen over rotated bullets explode it's kind of interesting.  I shot a 3 gun match with a friend that had loaded some light varmint bullets and he couldn't hit any far targets.  We noticed little puffs of smoke when he was shooting.  The bullets would reach a critical point and just vaporize.  My 105 Bergers are supposed to be rotating around 250,000 rpm.  The 1-10 barrel I got only rotated them at about 200,000 which was not fast enough to stabilize them.

Doug 

• Like 2

Quick and dirty way to find out what a new gun likes to eat    Get 3 boxes of ammo. One with a light bullet and high velocity, one with a heavy bullet and slow velocity, and one with a mid range bullet and average velocity. Should dial you in to what it likes.

• Like 1

One would think your new cool build would print pretty good using whatever ammo.  Obviously that is not the situation.  About the only thing not discussed and cussed would be to cast the chamber and lead.  Then cast a short part of the bore..  Perhaps in one pour?  Right now my feeble mind is keying in on the possibility of a bad barrel blank made into a bad barrel.  Twist rate like already discussed better?  Actual bore diameter?  Can you provide pics of the fired brass?  Right now I am swinging at air only.  Sorry.  HB

For those that have not seen over rotated bullets explode it's kind of interesting.  I shot a 3 gun match with a friend that had loaded some light varmint bullets and he couldn't hit any far targets.  We noticed little puffs of smoke when he was shooting.  The bullets would reach a critical point and just vaporize.  My 105 Bergers are supposed to be rotating around 250,000 rpm.  The 1-10 barrel I got only rotated them at about 200,000 which was not fast enough to stabilize them.

Doug 

Not in person, but I read a few articles with super high speed photos. Interesting stuff for sure.