Hornady SST shotgun slug

:smoke: I believe it is entirely possible that hornady's nosler tip sabot slug will penetrate body armor.

here we have a slug with a sharp nosler tip, if im not mistaken its either copper jacket or solid copper.

Certinally at this velocity it will expand very quickly in flesh. Still I have a question in my mind... will this round penetrate various kinds of body armor? Even if not, this still looks to be one of the best, most lethal slugs I have seen. Another great bullet design from hornday. Any thoughts on my question??

Silas L

Velocity (fps) / Energy (ft-lbs)

Muzzle

2000/2644

Trajectory (inches)

Muzzle 50 yd 100 yd 150 yd 200 yd

-0.9 2.4 2.7 0 -6.7

post-2787-1140421818.jpg

Wow, those look cool! Pricing? I use the Remington Core-Lokt Ultra for deer

hunting. $13/box of 5 is kinda steep though. They're 2000fps/3000ft-lbs

at the muzzle and a little flatter trajectory. Plus the copper is bonded to the

lead.

post-2093-1140439521.jpg

I use 250 grain SST sabots in my 50 cal muzzleloader - they're running about

2000fps/2000ft-lbs with 100gr 777. The 50 cal is similiar to a 20 gauge in bullet

weight & velocity. I can say they are deadly. Typically the copper shell de-laminates

in the target and the lead keeps going. My only bitch. They still get the job done

and then some. Expand nicely and leave a massive exit hole. I'd hope with the

12 gauge ones they make the copper a little thicker.

:smoke: I believe it is entirely possible that hornady's nosler tip sabot slug will penetrate body armor.

here we have a slug with a sharp nosler tip, if im not mistaken its either copper jacket or solid copper.

Certinally at this velocity it will expand very quickly in flesh. Still I have a question in my mind... will this round penetrate various kinds of body armor? Even if not, this still looks to be one of the best, most lethal slugs I have seen. Another great bullet design from hornday. Any thoughts on my question??

Silas L

Muzzle

2000/2644

Trajectory (inches)

-0.9 2.4 2.7 0 -6.7

Silas,

It's kind of a moot point as those velocities and bullet weights would probably cause blunt trauma casualties if the projectile did not penetrate body armor. I hope you don't mind my asking but, does the deer in your area wear Interceptor vests?

Ronswin

Everyone thinks if it cuts through body armor it must be illegal or evil. Truth is most sholder fired stuff, including some pistol caliber SMGs, will cut through soft armor. I beleive LVL IIIa is also the only soft armor rater for any sholder fired weapon. I guess the thought is that you would see that stuff coming and either shoot the person or find actual hard cover. Additionally, I found some body armor statistis on police officers killed while wearing body armor. Most of them that dye, over 50% (not counting the vest penitrations or through a crack or something I am talking head or leg), get shot somewhere the vest doesnt cover. Makes me wish my vest went just a little higher.

Edited by Koga Shuko

Silas L

Muzzle

2000/2644

Trajectory (inches)

-0.9 2.4 2.7 0 -6.7

Silas,

It's kind of a moot point as those velocities and bullet weights would probably cause blunt trauma casualties if the projectile did not penetrate body armor. I hope you don't mind my asking but, does the deer in your area wear Interceptor vests?

Ronswin

Ronswin is right, you don't have to bust a vest when you have the tremendous energy behind 1oz. of lead.

Silas,

Ronswin

I definitely would not want to be shot with a slug with 3000 ft lbs of energy behind it. No matter what kind of armor you have on. Would probably rupture every artery in your chest without breaking your skin. I think they did bean bags from a 12 gauge on jackass. Looked nice afterwards too...dumbasses!

As for deer, you never know what they're hiding under all that fur...better to overpenetrate than not penetrate at all. At least blood will be pumping out both sides. :super:

Those slugs in a Saiga is a MOOT POINT...

They are DESIGNED FOR RIFLED BARRELS!!!!

Your Siaga is a smoothbore.. and will not shoot those sabot slugs very well... they will not get the spin needed to provide accuracy of the projectile...

With a rifled barrel... yes, they work awesome... with a smoothbore... no... dont waste the money.

:smoke:

Your Siaga is a smoothbore.. and will not shoot those sabot slugs very well... they will not get the spin needed to provide accuracy of the projectile...

With a rifled barrel... yes, they work awesome... with a smoothbore... no... dont waste the money.

What about with a rifled choke?

Folks will tell you that about one in ten saboted slugs fail to lose their sabot. My experience is more like one in 20. Either way, not nominal for combat use.

So you are only going to put a teensy bit of spin on it at the VERY END of the barrel...

Well, bro... let me put it this way...

They are close to $13.00 a box of 5... you go have at it... and after 8 or 10 boxes, please post your findings for the rest of us here! :up:

Then we all will know!

So you are only going to put a teensy bit of spin on it at the VERY END of the barrel...

Well, bro... let me put it this way...

They are close to $13.00 a box of 5... you go have at it... and after 8 or 10 boxes, please post your findings for the rest of us here! :up:

Then we all will know!

The rifled slugs dont really impart much spin either. A few articles i have read about forster and brenneke slugs suggests that the weight forward design is what really keeps it stable. rather than the slug rifling.

the French have a neat sabot slug made especially for smooth bores it's a fin stabilized design the name is escaping me at the monent it's XXXXXXXXXXXXX super slug. Seen one out of the case a long time ago over seas. I found them on line but they aren't currently imported and they would need a big importer to get it started. Or at least more substantial than I could get started back when I was looking.

I just remembered it was the Sauvestre Super slug.

Edited by jsr5

:smoke: So blunt trauma from a lead slug impacting on a vest will probably rupture arteries?

in response to a reply about the sauvester super slug

was it something like this? Below is a fin stabilized slug meant for reloading available from www.ballisticproducts.com according to the website:

http://shop2.mailordercentral.com/bpicart/...?number=0151000

"The AQ has been a BPI favorite for 20 years. Nylon fins, attached to the round ball, set up stabilizing rotation for superb long-range accuracy and knock down power. You will not find a more accurate slug for a 12 gauge smoothbore shotgun. Easy to load great to shoot!"

On an interesting note they have roundballs in .69 caliber, I wonder what the difference between that and a rifled slug at close range would be. Definetly the "AQ" fin stabilized slug interests me, I would like to know if it is really as accurate as claimed.

Silas L

post-2787-1140514572.jpg

post-2787-1140514806.jpg