sighting in

hey all,

finally acquired a new saiga 12 and got to shooting it. what a rush. to bad i'm in ny and cant convert it. I didnt realize how much recoil this thing would have. my 870 seems to shoot softer but that might be cause it has a recoilpad. anyway, after I got over how much fun it was to shoot I noticed that it was shooting a bit high and to the right. it was at that point that I couldnt figuer out how to change the sight. it's not like regular ak's sights. it has 2 ears in the back of the rail and a bead on the front. under the bead there is a wheel that doesnt really turn. so does anyone know how to change the point of impact on this thing? also do they make wood furniture for the s-12. it has to be the sporter stock though. thanks a lot NY. Info or links would be appreceated

thanks

under the bead there is a wheel that doesnt really turn.

that wheel under the front bead is the gas regulator. Looking at the wheel head on, the lower left edge is a spring loaded pin. You need to push in the pin then you can adjust the gas system. The recoil could have been greater than you 870 due to the incorrect gas setting. Setting 1 is for magnum loads (buckshot, slugs, ect) and 2 is for light loads (bird shot). If you shoot magnum loads on gas setting 2, recoil is greatly increased, and really beats the heck out of the rear trunion, by slamming the rear of the bolt carrier into it.

EDIT TO ADD: +1 for the black jack buffers. I have one in both my 762x39 and my S-12. very cheap and very effective insurance, if you ask me

Edited by hoop762
hey all,

finally acquired a new saiga 12 and got to shooting it. what a rush. to bad i'm in ny and cant convert it. I didnt realize how much recoil this thing would have. my 870 seems to shoot softer but that might be cause it has a recoilpad. anyway, after I got over how much fun it was to shoot I noticed that it was shooting a bit high and to the right. it was at that point that I couldnt figuer out how to change the sight. it's not like regular ak's sights. it has 2 ears in the back of the rail and a bead on the front. under the bead there is a wheel that doesnt really turn. so does anyone know how to change the point of impact on this thing? also do they make wood furniture for the s-12. it has to be the sporter stock though. thanks a lot NY. Info or links would be appreceated

thanks

The disc on the sighting rib is for changing the height of the impact. There is a spring loaded tab that needs to be lowered to turn the disc. Notice there's a pin hole on the side. You can put a punch or pin or whatever in that pinhole and push it down to allow the disk to now spin.

Left right adjustments are done by drifting the rear of the rib (it's in a dove tail).

Adjustments with the rail are limited, will only get you so far. RonSwin came up with another way. It involved a huge vise, a huge bar and a lot of elbow grease. Bore sighting along the way. And I'm not kidding.

thanks for the replies everyone. I read the manual before shooting. well skimmed it actually and the gas regular was on setting 1. I saw the part about sighting the gun in there. but it's kinda written in broken english and wasnt to sure what to do. I understand what kmore was saying about the wheel but to adjust for windage "drifting the rear of the rib" what does that mean? pushing it to the left or right? do you have to undo the front wheel before you can shift for windage left or right? do you sight these shotgun in the same way as a regualr ak? eg: you follow the impact. my s-12 is shooting high and to the right so do I adjust it a bit higher and to the right?

thanks

Edited by Nysaigaowner

it's kinda urban here so if anything gets shot at all it's a visit from the police. one of my favorite things is the the Nazi like attitude of the range officers and gun shop workers. a bigger bunch of dicks you never did see. another thing is no shooting buck at the ranges here. there is one range you can that I know of but it's about an hour away. not even going to get into what things cost here. fun toys I mean.

well, I shoot on private land, so I dont have those problems. see my avatar. Im actually not supposed to fire a centerfire rifle in my county, but I am about 1/4 mile from the county line, and I shoot into the side of an unpopulated mountain, so I get some slack.

the long islanders are starting to find where I am now and are trying to take control of the town boards and such to change our laws that we passed to prevent heavy development. kinda sucks. I thoroughly enjoy bump firing when there are 90 people down the street swimming in my trout hole that are all from long island and new jersey. You should see the exodus. I will get it on video this summer. f them. almost always, they are total assholes to you when you walk down there, and they leave all kinds of garbage behind when they leave. they mistakenly think that my home is thier vacation area or something. the ones that live nearby that make the mistake of complaining about it sounding like a warzone get to hear it every evening right before dark for 15 minutes for the next week, also. Im bitter about a few things, and that is one of them. my cost of living has gone through the roof in the last couple of years and the money hasnt changed. my home area is being ruined on a daily basis, and shows no signs of letting up.

there is a shop up by me that is the best Ive been in country-wide. its a small mom and pop discount ammo and militaryish firearms. great people, great prices. he is worth going to if you are ever "upstate". he is cheaper than the internet.

It really shouldn't recoil more than an 870.

I'm wondering if you didn't use full power buckshot/slug loads on the wrong gas setting. If so, it WILL recoil hard. Otherwise, it feels about like a, hmmm, a little heavier than a .308 semi-auto, I'd say.

my 870 has a recoil pad so I'm guessing that is why the s-12 it seemed to have more recoil. I was shooting Federal slugs. it was on setting one for sure. Does anyone know the answer to the sighting in question? this part of my question to be exaxct:

"I understand what kmore was saying about the wheel but to adjust for windage "drifting the rear of the rib" what does that mean? pushing it to the left or right? do you have to undo the front wheel before you can shift for windage left or right? do you sight these shotgun in the same way as a regualr ak? eg: you follow the impact. my s-12 is shooting high and to the right so do I adjust it a bit higher and to the right? "

thanks

Edited by Nysaigaowner

for a REAR sight, you adjust the sight OPPOSITE the direction you want the impact point to move!

if it is shooting to the LEFT... move the REAR to the RIGHT...

For a FRONT SIGHT adjustment... you move it in the DIRECTION you want it to move...

If it shoots to the LEFT... move the FRONT sight to the LEFT....

the opposite holds true for ELEVATION....

If you adjust the REAR for elevation... if you want point of impact to move UP... you move the REAR UP...

If you adjust the FRONT for elevation... if you want the POI to move UP... you move the front sight DOWN...

:smoke:

it's kinda urban here so if anything gets shot at all it's a visit from the police. one of my favorite things is the the Nazi like attitude of the range officers and gun shop workers. a bigger bunch of dicks you never did see. another thing is no shooting buck at the ranges here. there is one range you can that I know of but it's about an hour away. not even going to get into what things cost here. fun toys I mean.

Have you ever tried the range at the Mitchell Athletic Center (by the Coliseum). It shoudn't be that far from you. Considering that it's an indoor range (actually a plus for me in this weather) and slug only, it's not a bad place to shoot. In my experience the range officers have been pretty cool and relaxed. My last two visits there I brought my new S-12, expecting all sorts of pointed questions and hard stares. Instead I got a pile of admiring looks, a few "holy cow-look at that"s and "Saiga what?" and "Izhmash where?" and "how much/where can I get one?" The only negative comment was from one of the AR fogeys who muttered under his breath about "Russian POS" (green monster).

there is a shop up by me that is the best Ive been in country-wide. its a small mom and pop discount ammo and militaryish firearms. great people, great prices. he is worth going to if you are ever "upstate". he is cheaper than the internet.

Whereabouts is the shop, anywhere near Rt9? I'm in Manhasset LI but am up to Delhi every so often and pass through Dutchess.

hey all,

thanks

If you want to cut down of felt recoil all you have to do is get a hold of some 1/4 gasket material and make a bufferpad. Similar to the commercially available types, the trouble with the ones on the market is that they are too hard and transfer the recoil force nicely. The softer ones (rubber gasket material) work great. My son is almost 6ft and skinny as a rail he'll tell you he likes my home made buffers better the ones we just bought on line. The only trouble with the home made ones is that they wear out after 600 or 800 rounds so make a few at a time. I need to make a few this week.

Kmoore, you have that backwards.

The locking tab for the front rib elevation wheel needs to be pressed upward to release the wheel, not downward.

I thought he was in China, up is down, down is up

I never specified which orientation the shotgun was to be held. Of course, you hold it upside down for my directions

Seriously, Thanks Tony. I was to lazy to go dig the adjustable model out of the safe. My memory is not as good as I remembered it being ...

hey all,

thanks

If you want to cut down of felt recoil all you have to do is get a hold of some 1/4 gasket material and make a bufferpad. Similar to the commercially available types, the trouble with the ones on the market is that they are too hard and transfer the recoil force nicely. The softer ones (rubber gasket material) work great. My son is almost 6ft and skinny as a rail he'll tell you he likes my home made buffers better the ones we just bought on line. The only trouble with the home made ones is that they wear out after 600 or 800 rounds so make a few at a time. I need to make a few this week.

what kind of material is that Topmaul, and where do you find it?

use your local yellow pages and find a rubber supplier (not condoms you those of you with a dirty mind). Just regular 1/4 inch rubber gasket material.

If you ask me the green buffers are too hard, that said I'm sure they do some good. I guess the MFR and to make them hard or they would not last long. You might want to buy one of them to use for a pattern. Then cut your own. That is what I'm doing. Once you do that you can leave the gun on setting 2 and shoot anything you want and not worry about it.

you can use tire rubber, too, btw, although it wont last as long. make twenty.

Another great material is the padding that you can get for garage floors. I just made up two buffers in five minutes and they fit perfectly. I will test them either today or tomorrow. This material is almost exactly 1/4" thick and should be great. If these work in my S-12, all of my AK's will have homemade buffers.

Bob